View Full Version : Adventures at Cow Mountain

06-28-2006, 4:14 PM
Well i decided to do some camping this week and found myself at cowmountain in ukiah ca.Id never really heard anything about this place before execpt they had excellent dirt riding. So after about driving 4 miles of dirt trail that most regular trucks wouldnt make it up ( I was driving a new gmc 2500 HD with a monsterous cab over camper on it) I made it to the camp site. it was a cool place to camp overnight but thats about it. so next i saw there was a range there and thought it would be cool to let my son try out the ruger 22/45 so we made our way to the range area which was more trecherous than the first road to camp to find nothing but a garbage dump:eek:
It was bad, I cant imagine anyone going up there to shoot on purpose. It was crazy. But my son and i got to do a little shooting and then we cleaned up our mess and some of the mess of others and went on our way to the mendicino coast to camp.
the highlight of my trip i think was teaching my son to shoot just like my dad did for me when i was a kid:D

06-28-2006, 7:57 PM
Pass it on from father to son...

Do a good job raising your children and they will improve upon what you have taught them and pass that on to the next generation and so on...

It is what we are here to do.. make the world a better place through our children, not just use the empty excuse of "for our children" like so many liberals like to tout about as a fancy catch phrase.

Many times, if you just make it better "for the children", they learn nothing... if you teach your children the difference between right and wrong you will make the world a better place "through your children". Isn't that better.. Isn't that what it was like in the old days?

Maybe conservatives should latch onto that catch phrase to fight the libs of the world.

06-28-2006, 9:31 PM
That's too bad. I went to that range a number of years ago.. wow, must have been like 10 years back now.. It used to have a few picnic tables and several berms and one lonely gong out at like 275 yards. It was fairly nice then and at the time I was able to access it in my toyota Celica (with 4" ground clearance). It appears that the road is not maintained all that well and now only high clearance vehicles will make it. It's good that you brought your son there and tried to leave it better than you found it.

07-09-2006, 9:58 PM
anyone been up there recently? Im thinking about going up with some friends to shoot for the whole day :cool:

08-06-2006, 7:08 AM
I just heard about this range and the efforts of Ukiah Eagle Scout candidate Kenny Smith. http://www.blm.gov/ca/news/2004/06/nr/NCnews69_cow_mtn_vols.html He was trying to improve this site in '04. Damn shame. Once more, these *deleted* give more ammo to those that want to close public lands to multi use. These jerks need to be strung up in my opinion! :mad:

08-06-2006, 7:53 AM
One last post on this subject. Perhaps more responsible gun owners using this range will help preserve it. Here is a general area map at http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/ukiah_pdfs/North_Cow_Mtn.pdf

It's in a PDF format.