PDA

View Full Version : How necessary is it to have a DOJ letter for an AR-15?

AWrootbeer
06-28-2006, 1:48 PM
I'm new to this site as well as to AR-15s. So far I have found all the information in this forum extremely helpful and I'm therefore greatly appreciative of this forum and all the participants.

I'm out to do my first build and in the process of obtaining an OLL. My first question referenced in the subject line is derived from a lot negative feedback I have been getting in trying to find an FFL dealer that is willing to transfer an OLL. My second question is, where I can find the most recent ban list for CA? I have seen the pdf that has been psoted in various threads and just wondering if that's the current one in use. More specifically I've been looking at the Global Tactical (http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=292&prd=293) and the Armeetec (http://www.ameetecarms.com/) stripped receviers and just wanted to make sure these are off list (also any reviews of these receivers would great!)

Sorry for the long-winded post but I just wanted to make sure I cover my nonono :D

thmpr
06-28-2006, 1:50 PM
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/awguide/index.html

tenpercentfirearms
06-28-2006, 1:52 PM
Those are off-list. It really doesn't matter which brand you get, you just need to get one. I see you are in Burlingame. San Jose's Gun Exchange has OLLs for sale, go down and see what they have or call them first. If you try to contact a manufacturer and see if they can ship them in, you are probably wasting your time as that has been done. Just find a dealer that has them and get them from them. SJGE might be the closest to you. Someone else will answer if there is someone closer. Just get a lower and then later on you can worry about getting the specific ones you want.

PIRATE14
06-28-2006, 1:53 PM
If you need a lower just send us a email, we'll point you in the right direction.

Mr.RoDiN
06-28-2006, 2:47 PM
stay away from vulcan!

blkA4alb
06-28-2006, 3:27 PM
I have an Ameetec lower and it's finish is smoother than my High Standard lowers. I wouldn't hesitate to get another High Standard lower though. Get whatever you can, but the finish on the Ameetecs are great.

AWrootbeer
06-28-2006, 3:40 PM
i figured that the first thing i need to do is just get my hands on a lower. i just called SJGE and they got a shipment in, but they're processing through them because there are quite a few people who have put deposits on them so i'll find out tomorrow.. keeping fingers crossed!

if any one ekse out there knows of any dealers local to the bay/penninsula/so bay area let me know. thanks again for the help

tenpercentfirearms
06-28-2006, 3:48 PM
Make sure you contact Cold War Shooters as they have transfer dealers all over and they have a huge selection of lowers to choose from. www.coldwarshooters.com

xenophobe
06-28-2006, 7:13 PM
You can also order an OLL from CWS and have it shipped to the Gun Exchange... Just call CWS, and then bring a copy of your receipt to the store, start the paperwork, and then wait 10 days and then pick it up.

6172crew
06-28-2006, 8:04 PM
I have a few on stock but Im in Contra Costa and I have 1 in stock at a Milpitas FFL.

The thing to do is start that 10 day wait asap, then you can add stuff to that dros if you want.

BTW where the heck were you 4 months ago?:D

AWrootbeer
06-28-2006, 11:40 PM
... then you can add stuff to that dros if you want.

what do you mean add stuff to that dros?