PDA

View Full Version : BHP 40 problem

GW
11-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I have a Browning High-Power in .40S&W and it has developed the nasty habit of engaging the slide release whenever it is fired or the slide is racked. This happens with full or less than full magazines or without a magazine for that matter
I'm sure the solution is obvious to everyone except me:o

So... What gives?

dfletcher
11-20-2010, 12:44 PM
What ammo are you using?

Unlike the 1911, the BHP slide release lever has a little spring tension on it which tends to encourage the lever down a bit - I'm wondering if the ammo is giving the lever a nudge up as they are fed by the magazine.

If you remove the slide, insert the slide release and a mag you should have a clear view from the top of what's touching what.

GW
11-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll try that but it happens without a magazine in the gun as well.

Turbinator
11-20-2010, 9:58 PM
Pardon me for asking the obvious, but - is your thumb engaging the slide stop by chance when you are shooting or racking the slide? That could cause the slide to lock back whether you are using a mag or not, and regardless of the type of ammo.

Turby

GW
11-21-2010, 8:29 PM
Nope, It still catches with my thumb wrapped around the grip

ojisan
11-21-2010, 9:18 PM
I haven't messed with a Hi Power in years.
However, all slide stops are held down by a spring or spring loaded cam / lever in some way.
I would double check your assembly and make sure everything is in the right place...it sounds like whatever usually holds the slide stop down is now holding it up.

Oceanbob
11-21-2010, 9:43 PM
The Slide release has a forward shaft that has a detent in it; this shaft goes THRU a circular steel ring at the back side of the Recoil Spring.

Inside that ring (take a look at the recoil spring) is a silver ball. What that ball does is interface the detent in the shaft and preloads the slide release in the DOWN mode. Of course, the Magazine spring will overcome the ball tension, however when the Ball fails the slide release just pops up all the time. Locking the slide open...:mad:

Check it.

Bob :cool:

GW
11-22-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks! I'll check that out right away