PDA

View Full Version : Taking guns into California

age_ranger
06-28-2006, 3:27 AM
Are there restrictions on what I can bring IN? I want to bring my Beretta CX4 and a few others but I'm not sure if I can. I wrote a letter to the DOJ, but didn't receive a response and I am leaving today. Can anyone provide a link or info on this? Sorry to skip the introduction. I'll try to get to that next. :)

JHC
06-28-2006, 3:54 AM
The CX4 has a thumbhole stock and detatchable mag right? They cannot be brought in legally, nor can any magazine over 10 rounds.

age_ranger
06-28-2006, 4:02 AM
Yeah, it's got the thumbhole stock. I've got a 10 round mag for it, but that seems to be a moot point now:( Would I be correct to assume that any semi-auto pistol with a mag capacity of 10 or less would be acceptable to bring into the country...uh, I mean state?:p

EricCartmanR1
06-28-2006, 4:14 AM
Yeah, it's got the thumbhole stock. I've got a 10 round mag for it, but that seems to be a moot point now:( Would I be correct to assume that any semi-auto pistol with a mag capacity of 10 or less would be acceptable to bring into the country...uh, I mean state?:p

according to the DOJ's website you can. but it has to be unloaded and in a lock container. this is pretty retarded to me. why carry a firearm for protection if it is stored this way? i guess Cali wants some big gay couple to steal my guns too when they are in the process of stealing my car.

below is the link for reference. i like to give references instead of just talking out of my a-hole like some people do on this site :)

link for reference: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.htm

age_ranger
06-28-2006, 6:31 AM
Thanks for the link. According to the info there, it states:

"A rifle or shotgun that is considered an assault weapon in California must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1."

Well, I looked up that Code and my CX4 is definitely classified as an assault weapon in Ca, but I don't seem to be able to find where I might be restricted to bringing it into the state with a 10 round mag. I understand that they're banned from sales in Ca, but cannot find a reference on where it's not OK to bring it in.

I guess unless I can find concrete script that states I can lawfully bring it, I'll leave it at home. If anyone can find the info on "thumbhole stocks" being restricted from being brought into the state, I'd be interested. All I can seem to find is restrictions on import for sales to citizens.

Thanks for the help so far.

JPglee1
06-28-2006, 6:34 AM
You can't bring it, its a assault weapon by feature. If you figure some way to permanently pin/lock the mag in place then you would be OK....

Good luck.

JP

ohsmily
06-28-2006, 6:57 AM
Thanks for the link. According to the info there, it states:

"A rifle or shotgun that is considered an assault weapon in California must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1."

Well, I looked up that Code and my CX4 is definitely classified as an assault weapon in Ca, but I don't seem to be able to find where I might be restricted to bringing it into the state with a 10 round mag. I understand that they're banned from sales in Ca, but cannot find a reference on where it's not OK to bring it in.

I guess unless I can find concrete script that states I can lawfully bring it, I'll leave it at home. If anyone can find the info on "thumbhole stocks" being restricted from being brought into the state, I'd be interested. All I can seem to find is restrictions on import for sales to citizens.

Thanks for the help so far.

Run a search on this forum...you would be illegally importing an assault weapon. This has been covered before; you can't bring it in.

age_ranger
06-28-2006, 7:07 AM
Great info. Thanks for the replies. According to the codes, it looks like any pistol with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less is ok. Are there any pistols (excluding full auto and excentrics, of course) that are banned from Ca? I'm hoping to bring a small .32 and a .22 target pistol with my 9mm. From what I can find, the 9mm I have is the only one of the three approved for sale. Should I leave the rest behind?

Thanks again to all for the info. I really appreciate it.

JPglee1
06-28-2006, 7:15 AM
You can privately import all the off listed guns you want.

Do yourself a favor, buy 2-3 kel tec P32s and a couple P64 pistols and resell them ;) You'd make money and CALI would get a few more cool pistols in the population.

JP

bwiese
06-28-2006, 8:40 AM
People's short replies above may be addressing small segments of your situation but not really giving a complete picture. I am unclear if you are moving to CA or just visiting, but:

Your Berettta CX4 "Storm" 9mm carbine is a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine and thumbhole stock. It's thus an unregistered assault weapon in CA; there is no way to register it unless you are active-duty military, and when your service ends in CA you'd have to move it out of state. Magazine size will not change its assault weapons status. [You could fix a 10rd magazine but I dunno if it's really possible to operate that gun that way or figure out how to do that acceptably with such short time before your travels.]

Thus you should NOT bring it in, and you should not rely on any competition exemption in CA law (no matter what anyone else says here, because they're wrong). Don't risk this, as there are _multiple_ felonies involved.

In CA, assault weapons are specifically named in a list, or are generically defined as an AW if they are semiautomatic, centerfire rifles w/detachable magazines and have one or more of <pistol grip, thumbhole stock, folding or telestock, forward pistol grip, flash hider, grenade launcher>.

Note that 'regular' rifles like M1As and Mini14s are assault weapons in CA if they have flash hiders. Don't bring these in unless you can change the muzzle device to a brake, or remove it or have a thread protector. (Threaded barrels on rifles are legal, but not on semiauto pistols.)

Don't bring in any hicap magazines - those able to hold more than 10rds. Only people who were here before 2000 and who already had them can retain and use them.

Guns that are not assault weapons but that accept hicap mags are fine to bring in Just bring in 10rd mags with them and not the hicaps.

You have 60 days from beginning residency here to register your handguns with Dept of Justice since you are a 'personal handgun importer'. (Rifles are not required to be registered.) I believe there's a $19/gun fee.

Handguns that are not on CA's "approved list" of "safe handguns" are fine to bring in. This list only applies to new gun sales. [You will not be able to sell, if you chose, any of your unlisted/unsafe handguns (other than certain single action revolvers and single-shot pistols) to a Californian since dealer-mediated "private party transfers" (PPTs) are only between CA residents. If you become a CA resident, you could sell these 'unsafe' guns via PPTs.

Generally speaking, there's no paper-free private transactions of guns in CA (certain exceptions for old/antique guns). All transactions (incl. the above 'private party transfers') must be mediated by a CA FFL dealer and there's a 10 day waiting period. No parking-lot trunk to trunk deals like the good ol' days.

blkA4alb
06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Good post bill, you saved me from having to explain it all. I'm sure you put it much more eloquently than I would've as well :p .

If it helps you here are the regulations. And here is the link http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
(D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
(2) UZI and Galil.
(3) Beretta AR-70.
(4) CETME Sporter.
(5) Colt AR-15 series.
(6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C.
(7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
(8) MAS 223.
(9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1
(10) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M11.
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.
(12) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551.
(13) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48.
(14) Sterling MK-6.
(15) Steyer AUG.
(16) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S.
(17) Armalite AR-180.
(18) Bushmaster Assault Rifle.
(19) Calico M-900.
(20) J&R ENG M-68.
(21) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.
(b) All of the following specified pistols:
(1) UZI.
(2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45.
(3) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M-11.
(C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11.
(D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11.
(4) Intratec TEC-9.
(5) Sites Spectre.
(6) Sterling MK-7.
(7) Calico M-950.
(8) Bushmaster Pistol.
(c) All of the following specified shotguns:
(1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12.
(2) Striker 12.
(3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12.

2276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

age_ranger
06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much for all the replies. I'm visiting on vacation for about 10 days........leaving tonight. Now I know how I need to pack.

Thanks everyone......:D