PDA

View Full Version : Is a safe legally required?

spotfire
11-19-2010, 8:54 PM
All of my guns in the past have been passed to me within the family, so believe it or not, I just made my first new firearm purchase from a gun shop, and I'm in the ten day waiting period. The shop said they needed the make and model of my safe to release the gun to me, but I don't currently have a safe, just locked cases. SOOO, Is a gun safe required by law? Can the shop refuse to release the gun to me if I say I don't have a safe? I could just simply give them some numbers, but I'd rather know what's right and be honest. I thought you just needed it in a locked case or have a trigger lock on it. Of course I know many of you will recommend I get a safe, and I'm sure that someday I will, but probably not in the next ten days.
Follow up question...(This may open can of worms..)..... If someone steals your gun and uses it in a crime, are you more likely to be held liable if you did not have a safe?

professorhard
11-19-2010, 8:58 PM
No, you don't need a safe, yes could can just write down a random make and model on the affidavit, the law is just a BS extra extra inconvenience and shouldn't exist in the first place.

Or if you want to stay honest like you said, you can just buy a trigger lock

No you won't be held liable if someone steals it and uses it in a crime, however if a child gains access to it, you could be held liable.

BayAreaShooter
11-19-2010, 9:44 PM
No, you don't need a safe, yes could can just write down a random make and model on the affidavit, the law is just a BS extra extra inconvenience and shouldn't exist in the first place.

Or if you want to stay honest like you said, you can just buy a trigger lock

No you won't be held liable if someone steals it and uses it in a crime, however if a child gains access to it, you could be held liable.

Are all FFL's doing this now. I have never been told I have to have a safe and to give the make and model and serial number. I will refuse to buy if they ask for that information.

Librarian
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
The safe info is on the Wiki here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws).

Every firearm MUST have a 'safety device', typically a lock, before the FFL can deliver it to the buyer. See details at the link.

For LONG GUNS you MAY, if you choose, submit the Safe Affidavit instead of buying a lock.

For HAND GUNS you have to have the lock, because Federal law has screwed things up and the BATFE does not yet have a reg allowing for safes, even though safes satisfy the law.