PDA

View Full Version : Limited or No connectivity

Fjold
11-19-2010, 7:33 PM
My laptop will not connect to my wireless router at home. It will connect at work on both the hardwire and the wireless but at home it says "Limited or no Connectivity" and seems to hang up trying to renew the IP address.

When I try the "Repair" option on the Wireless Network Connection it says:
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP Address.

The TCP/IP is set to assign an IP address and DNS server address automatically.

The DW WLAN Card Utility has an AP Mac Address, there is no Gateway IP Address, there is a Client MAC Address and a Client IP Address but the ClientIPv6 Address is "not available"

I'm using Windows XP on the computer and AT&T U-verse at home, there are two other computers using my home wireless signal without issues. I have reset the wirless router and modem already and the other two computers connected ,just not this one.

Any help would be appreciated.

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 7:40 PM
open your DOS prompt...

c:\> ping google.com
c:\> ping 192.168.1.1
c:\> ping 192.168.0.1

what does it say?

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 7:40 PM
don't worry about ClientIPv6, it's not here yet

Fjold
11-19-2010, 7:42 PM
open your DOS prompt...

c> ping google.com

what does it say?

I did that earlier (right now i'm using my phone as a modem) and it said

"No response. 4 packets sent, none returned."

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 7:44 PM
annother staple is

c:\> ipconfig
c:\> ipconfig /release
c:\> ipconfig /renew

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 7:45 PM
I did that earlier (right now i'm using my phone as a modem) and it said

"No response. 4 packets sent, none returned."

then ping your gateway, either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 just working our way back to your machine

Fjold
11-19-2010, 7:51 PM
disconnected my phone and wih just the wireless it says:

Ping request could not find host Google.com. Please check the name and try again

Pinging 192.168.1.1 says "Destination host unreachable" (4 times)

Fjold
11-19-2010, 7:52 PM
annother staple is

c:\> ipconfig
c:\> ipconfig /release
c:\> ipconfig /renew

Typed those in one at a time, still cannot get the IP address to renew

SnipeShot
11-19-2010, 8:38 PM
Do you receive a ip address of 169.x.x.x? Check your device drivers perhaps a driver got fubard.

Can you post what you get when you type ipconfig /all

Fjold
11-19-2010, 9:14 PM
Do you receive a ip address of 169.x.x.x? Check your device drivers perhaps a driver got fubard.

Can you post what you get when you type ipconfig /all

I don't know how to check my device drivers>

When I type ipconfig /all it saya:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name.......................: D2B423M1
Primary DNS Suffix ............: CAMS.local
Mode type ......................: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled ............: No
WINS Proxy Enbaled...........: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area connection:

Media State .....................: Media disconnected
Description .......................: Intel<R> 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical address.................: 00-26-B9-C6-CE-95

Ethernet adapter PdaNet Broadband Cconnection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix ..... :
Description.................................: DW1320 Wireless-N Half-Mini Card
Physical address..........................: F0-7B-CB-4D-EA-CB
Dhcp Enabled .............................: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled.............: Yes
Autocount configuration IP address.: 169.254.233.86
Subnet mask...............................: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway..........................:

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 9:20 PM
are you WiFi or hard wired? did you try c:/ping 192.168.0.1? that's actualy more common than 192.168.1.1

anyway if you are wifi and it's laptop, check make sure you didn't accidently switch off the WiFi radio (flight mode) I have done that before

I H8 WiFi, works great a lot but when it breaks, it can be a PITA

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 9:22 PM
oh wait, no default gateway... your box is not connected to the router, make sure your ethernet cable is good/pluged in

or that your WiFi radio is not switched off

longarmshortlegs
11-19-2010, 9:25 PM
Has this computer successfully connected your home internet in the past, or will this attempt be the first time? You cannot search for wireless networks when you have limited/no connectivity, correct?

SnipeShot
11-19-2010, 9:27 PM
When you plug your network cable in do you get link lights? What version of windows are you running XP/Vista/7?

SnipeShot
11-19-2010, 9:28 PM
Sorry I see your running XP, and want to get the wifi working, have you been able to connect to the wifi prior to this issue?

nick
11-19-2010, 9:33 PM
You're not getting the IP from the your router. The IP you get is the APIPA address assigned when you have no static IP assigned and you cannot get a dynamic IP from a DHCP server.

Do any other wireless devices connect to that router without issues? If so, login to the router and see how many IPs are assigned to the DHCP address pool.

If this is the only device using wifi, you might want to go over the wireless config on your router.

Fjold
11-19-2010, 9:49 PM
Sorry, I should have explained better.

This computer has connected to the wireless router at home for a year. I went into work on Wednesday and it would not connect to either the hardwire or the wireless at work. Our IT department got it working on the hardwire (I have no idea what they did, they connected to my computer and I went and drank coffee) Two hours later my connection worked on the wire but not the wireless at work. When I got home it would not connect to my home wireless. Yesterday morning I complained again and they tried to get it to work on the wireless and couldn't. This morning I went into work and the computer connected itself automatically to the wireless at work.

When I came home this afternoon it would still not connect to the wireless at home.

Fjold
11-19-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the help guys, if you think of anything else, I'll try it in the morning.

I'm still jet-lagged from the trip back from Japan this week.

longarmshortlegs
11-19-2010, 9:57 PM
If your IT guys accessed your settings to "fix" your at-work connection, I would just reconfigure your computer and home wireless connection. Go through and reconfigure your connection, password, etc.

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 10:00 PM
it's really simple when you boil it down, we (you) have diagnosed layer 6 and 7, and we have kinda narrowed it down to layer 1, 2 or 3 WiFi is sorta layer 1.5

http://computer.yourdictionary.com/images/computer/OSI.GIF

nick
11-19-2010, 10:04 PM
it's really simple when you boil it down, we (you) have diagnosed layer 6 and 7, and we have kinda narrowed it down to layer 1, 2 or 3 WiFi is sorta layer 1.5

http://computer.yourdictionary.com/images/computer/OSI.GIF

You are the reason IT people are generally disliked (except for when one's having IT-related problems) :p

JDay
11-19-2010, 10:15 PM
then ping your gateway, either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 just working our way back to your machine

That's not going to do anything if he hasn't been assigned an IP address.

JDay
11-19-2010, 10:18 PM

This computer has connected to the wireless router at home for a year. I went into work on Wednesday and it would not connect to either the hardwire or the wireless at work. Our IT department got it working on the hardwire (I have no idea what they did, they connected to my computer and I went and drank coffee) Two hours later my connection worked on the wire but not the wireless at work. When I got home it would not connect to my home wireless. Yesterday morning I complained again and they tried to get it to work on the wireless and couldn't. This morning I went into work and the computer connected itself automatically to the wireless at work.

When I came home this afternoon it would still not connect to the wireless at home.

If I were you I'd backup all my documents and reinstall Windows. XP needs it once a year or so to keep running good anyway. Your registry probably has some corrupted entries.

JDay
11-19-2010, 10:24 PM

802.11 falls under the data link layer, that would be layer 2.

five.five-six
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
You are the reason IT people are generally disliked (except for when one's having IT-related problems) :p

:rofl2:

802.11 falls under the data link layer, that would be layer 2.

technically you are correct, but that's not where I put it, WiFi sort of it's own beast

Ricky-Ray
11-20-2010, 1:41 AM
Try deleting and recreating your wireless network connection.

ldivinag
11-21-2010, 3:24 PM
if your IP addy starts witha 169.x.x.x, delete the driver for the wifi device.

i upgraded the G card on a desktop to an N. but kept getting the same message.

i'm an IT dude and went through everything (PING, TRACERT, ETC)and still wouldnt connect. last case was a driver reinstall.

sure enough it worked.

five.five-six
11-21-2010, 5:05 PM
this must be worse than being banned on calguns, it's like being maned from the internetz :eek2:

TonyM
11-21-2010, 5:18 PM
this must be worse than being banned on calguns, it's like being maned from the internetz :eek2:

Do I want to know? :eek:

five.five-six
11-21-2010, 5:20 PM
Do I want to know? :eek:

IDK sailor, do you?

paul0660
11-21-2010, 5:27 PM
XP needs it once a year or so to keep running good anyway.

YOUR xp, maybe.

NytWolf
11-21-2010, 5:40 PM

This computer has connected to the wireless router at home for a year. ... Two hours later my connection worked on the wire but not the wireless at work. When I got home it would not connect to my home wireless. Yesterday morning I complained again and they tried to get it to work on the wireless and couldn't. This morning I went into work and the computer connected itself automatically to the wireless at work.

It sounds like your computer has two saved wireless connections. The problem is, only one can be the default. Without knowing exactly what your IT people did, it would be hard to be specific in helping you. But all is not lost.

- Open your wireless connections interface. It looks like the AT&T bars, and it's in your system tray where the clock is.
-- Once open, see if your home wifi is still listed. If it is, select it and press the Connect button. If you know, set it as default or move it up.
--- If your home wifi is not listed there, you will need to do a search for wireless networks and see if it shows up. Then you will need to reconfigure it to connect with password, etc.
--- If you do the search and your home wireless isn't found, cycle the power to your wireless router and try the search again.
- If when starting your wireless connection interface (from the system tray) is not possible, then most likely you have your wireless turned off. But I believe it is not, since you are able to connect at work.

TonyM
11-21-2010, 5:43 PM
IDK sailor, do you?

Negative, Sir.

Fjold
11-21-2010, 7:02 PM
It sounds like your computer has two saved wireless connections. The problem is, only one can be the default. Without knowing exactly what your IT people did, it would be hard to be specific in helping you. But all is not lost.

- Open your wireless connections interface. It looks like the AT&T bars, and it's in your system tray where the clock is.
-- Once open, see if your home wifi is still listed. If it is, select it and press the Connect button. If you know, set it as default or move it up.
--- If your home wifi is not listed there, you will need to do a search for wireless networks and see if it shows up. Then you will need to reconfigure it to connect with password, etc.
--- If you do the search and your home wireless isn't found, cycle the power to your wireless router and try the search again.
- If when starting your wireless connection interface (from the system tray) is not possible, then most likely you have your wireless turned off. But I believe it is not, since you are able to connect at work.

Both my home and work wifi networks are listed. Both are set up to connect automatically. I enabled it manually and typed in the key and it still has limited or no connectivity.

I let the Dell wireless manage the connection and the other one (the computer with the airwaves coming off it) and in both ways it won't connect correctly.

I cycled the power off (waited 2 minutes) and still no connection.

NapaPlinker
11-21-2010, 7:07 PM
I had the same problem the ohter day. Open internet explorer then go to tools>Internet Options>advanced>then click reset. I called hp they had me do this and it worked after, might as well give it a shot.

five.five-six
11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Negative, Sir.

:rofl2:

JDay
11-22-2010, 5:01 AM
YOUR xp, maybe.

I don't even run XP, however most people install so much worthless crap that their registry gets screwed up. Not to mention all the malware that gets on their systems. Usually easiest to just do a clean install when that crap starts causing hardware and performance issues.

JDay
11-22-2010, 5:03 AM
It sounds like your computer has two saved wireless connections. The problem is, only one can be the default.

No, Windows will connect to the saved connection that has the strongest signal strength. The reason you can set one to take priority over another is if there is more then one nearby that you often use, this keeps your signal from constantly switching between them while you're trying to use it.

NytWolf
11-22-2010, 8:47 AM
I let the Dell wireless manage the connection and the other one (the computer with the airwaves coming off it) and in both ways it won't connect correctly.

I cycled the power off (waited 2 minutes) and still no connection.

Which Dell do you have?

Fjold
11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Dell Latitude E6410.

I just deleted the connection for my home wireless and when I get home tonight I'll try to re-create it.

Cbr1000Rider
11-22-2010, 12:42 PM
1. Connect your laptop directly to your Cable that goes into your wifi.
2. Run IP Config.
3. Take note of the IP addresses that come up.
4. Instead of your wifi automatically assigning IP addresses, plug those in your IPV/4 or IPV/6 settings in your wireless properties on your laptop. (Your IT guys probably already did this and used the workplace IPs)
5. report back here.

asymmetricalwarfar3
11-27-2010, 5:49 PM
Fjold.....don't know if you got this fixed yet....have you considered getting a new modem?

I just got off the phone w/ cox and apparently e'erbody and their mothers have been calling in 'bout shoddy connections; it turns out they recently upgraded their system and some older modems (mine was a Toshiba) were unable to handle the juice....BUT they failed to tell any of their customers, go figure.

I just switched mine out and so far everything seems to be on the up and up.......just a thought. GL.