PDA

View Full Version : strange mosin question.rust in hard places.

Haggar85
11-19-2010, 4:01 PM
OK,
so i finally got around to giving my newest mosin the cleaning it needed and its squeaky clean. I found that there is rust inside the receiver where the barrel screws in. i not sure how to care for it properly.
(Please bare with me i don't know the technical terms.) I know on earlier mosins that they drilled and tapped that hole (where the forward screw goes.) and it did not penetrate into where the barrel screws in. On the later mosins they had the hole extending into where the barrel screws in. They did this in order to allow a grease gun to lube the barrel threats to make changing a barrel easier.
So i just laid the barrel upside down and pour hoppes oil into it and let it soak. when turning it over a bunch of rusty oil came out.
any one know of a better way to take care of this? may be get a grease gun and squeeze a bunch of axle grease up in there?

TRAP55
11-19-2010, 6:05 PM
Haggar, what you're probably seeing is old cosmolene and grease coming out of the locking lug recess.
I've use a chamber brush for the M-16 to scrub that area out. I have a bronze shotgun bore brush that I cut to fit in there that really makes the job easy. Then I flush it with Brake Kleen, blow it out with compressed air, and wipe on a thin film of gun grease with a bent Q-tip.

CDFingers
11-20-2010, 6:10 AM
+1 on the compressed air w/ solvents. Rinse and repeat.

CDFingers

Haggar85
11-20-2010, 8:01 AM
i am just a little concerned. i once removed a worn out barrel from a receiver and it was rusted although out the threats, i just kind of panicked thinking "not again!" but looking back that rifle had issues long before i bought it, probably sat in a snow bank in archangel for a winter.
just wanted to get optimum life out of this mosin and care for it properly.
thanks