PDA

View Full Version : Can I travel with my OLL outside of CA

NorCal MedTac
06-27-2006, 8:04 PM
Could I safely travel with my OLL currently for a class outside of CA and not have to worry about coming back home with it?

blkA4alb
06-27-2006, 8:09 PM
At this point these lowers are treated no different than any other rifle. You can travel out of state and bring them back in with no problems. However, if in a very long shot these get listed while you have them out of state you would almost certainly not be able to bring them back into california as they would then be AWs. But at the present time go have some fun! :cool:

thmpr
06-27-2006, 8:10 PM
Could I safely travel with my OLL currently for a class outside of CA and not have to worry about coming back home with it?

Of course since it is not considered an AW.

NorCal MedTac
06-27-2006, 8:43 PM
so just to make sure i understand the whole thing. it is fine to go do whatever right now. but if they are declared aw before i get back i can't come back in even though they were bought here months ago.

blkA4alb
06-27-2006, 8:48 PM
so just to make sure i understand the whole thing. it is fine to go do whatever right now. but if they are declared aw before i get back i can't come back in even though they were bought here months ago.
Correct, these are treated no different now. As long as its a short trip you don't need to worry too much about them listing them. As I'm sure you know though you can't import an AW into california, and if these got listed you would not be able to bring it back into the state.

Jicko
06-27-2006, 8:53 PM
Just buy a couple more..... and bringing one out to play with... and it they REALLY got listed... then sacrificing one for that GREAT cause is ... OK, i guess.... :D

Mudvayne540ld
06-27-2006, 9:01 PM
you are alloud to travel into and out of the state with a legal assault wepon tho....

I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?

Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 12285 and 12026.1. These sections of law may be accessed on the DOJ Firearms Division Website's Online Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.

-From CA DOJ Firearms Division FAQ
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm

blkA4alb
06-27-2006, 9:05 PM
you are alloud to travel into and out of the state with a legal assault wepon tho....

-From CA DOJ Firearms Division FAQ
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm
Not if it isn't registered. If he is out of state and they list, they are immediatly AWs. Therefore they would be unregistered assault weapons and illegal to bring back into california.

hoffmang
06-28-2006, 12:07 AM
If he's out of state and a registration period opens, he can return with the soon to be registered AW and register it. If he was worried about the potential grey area, he could copy down its serial number, leave it out of state, register it, and then bring it in when the reg window closes.

No problemo...

HillBilly
06-28-2006, 9:34 AM
I gotta say it would be smart to travel with it in a locked case out of plian view...no need to go through a hassle if things go wrong during a traffic stop.

Sydwaiz
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
As for now, just make sure you lock the 10rnd mag back in it before you come back.

bwiese
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
If OLLs get listed and/or somehow transition into AW status by regulatory moves or legislation, there likely will be some warning. (Although when Kasler hit in August of 2000, there really wasn't.)

If there is no warning and you brought an unreg'd OLL that had transitioned into AW status you could be charged with illegal importation, even at the receiver level.

Note that 12280(g) protects against unreg'd AW charges (12280(b)) during the 90 day registration window. It does NOT protect from importation charges in 12280(a), and reimportation issues are not really clear execept for registered AWs (as opposed to prospectively-registered AWs).

blkA4alb
06-28-2006, 1:07 PM
If OLLs get listed and/or somehow transition into AW status by regulatory moves or legislation, there likely will be some warning. (Although when Kasler hit in August of 2000, there really wasn't.)

If there is no warning and you brought an unreg'd OLL that had transitioned into AW status you could be charged with illegal importation, even at the receiver level.

Note that 12280(g) protects against unreg'd AW charges (12280(b)) during the 90 day registration window. It does NOT protect from importation charges in 12280(a), and reimportation issues are not really clear execept for registered AWs (as opposed to prospectively-registered AWs).
Thank you Bill, (for the backup :p .)

hoffmang
06-28-2006, 1:40 PM
Bill expounds on the gray area I was mentioning. The simple practical answer is to rent a storage out of state during the reg window, register it, and then import it after the window closes.

At most inconvenient.