View Full Version : Why my bandwidth is reducing automaticaly?

11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I use dial up internet connection with limited bandwidth in windows 7. When I dial to connect to internet it begins to eat my bandwidth automaticaly, but I am not browsing or downloading any file, I am at desktop. It had spend 17MB in 10 minutes. What should I do now?

11-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Windows 7 may be searching for (and downloading) updates and some programs may also look for their updates too. If you were to disable all that stuff... but you'd also lose out on some necessary updates.

11-19-2010, 2:33 PM
In addition to windows 7 looking for updates don't forget about anti virus software, spyware, malware programs. Do you have any instant messaging programs that automatically start when window's starts or when connected online. Check those also.

11-19-2010, 3:03 PM
We're talking about stone age technology here. You should at least have 1mbps download speed to confortably check your online email. I see this all the time. You have customers with super fast computer and slow internet, then they blame the internet company for slow connection. You also have customers with slow POS computer and fast internet, and they still blame the internet company for slow connection. Then there are people that have common sense to buy a fairly fast computer for their failry fast internet speed.

11-19-2010, 3:29 PM
Windows 7, your anti virus software, and a boatload of other applications these days all download their updates automatically. So when you connect to the internet, they all start downloading updates. Dialup connections are not something software developers are taking into serious consideration these days, especially when you may be talking about 500MB in updates sometimes.

It's time for you to upgrade your internet connection.

andrewak47, I have a 10mbit cable connection back when I had a celeron 300a and 256MB of ram, unless your computer is so old(talking about the original pentium here, or earlier), then it'll be plenty fast enough to use the internet. The problem lies in the crapware people install and newer OS' that like to sit idle and still occupy 1GB or more of RAM. So even with an older computer, the bottleneck is going to be the software(which is usually user error in a case like that).