PDA

View Full Version : CMP Garand field or service argh!!

SanPedroShooter
11-18-2010, 6:22 PM
So for a hundred more you can get a service grade. What do the experts say about the current crop of cmp garands? I am planning to send out my order for a field grade hra (i have read that the hra are not as used?) on monday. Because of the pics i've been seeing of field grades, i decided on spending the extra 100 on ammo. But i keep going back and forth. If the korean garands make it into the country (something i have a good feeling about for some reason) i'll get another one. If they don't i can sell the field grade and trade up.
So is the 100 extra worth it? I know it can be subjective, so for background, its my first garand. I want a shooter that i can put/get mileage out of. I plan to reload for it, also for the first time, and i cant afford to get both.
Any advice?

mls343
11-18-2010, 6:25 PM
Service Grade - No brainer!

The ones coming out of CMP right now are just prime. For an extra $100.00 you will get a nice looking, good shooting, piece of history.

SanPedroShooter
11-18-2010, 6:29 PM
Look at the field grade this guy just got.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=361500
If i get a service grade, i'll probably have to wait another week to place my order. I dont want to miss out. The springfields are already backlogged, and their not taking any more orders for now.
edit
i guess the cmp says they've got enough garands for a couple years, but still. I missed out on the barreled m1 carbine actions and its ****ty feeling.

JAGGUY
11-18-2010, 6:54 PM
My SA field grade didn't look anything like that one, however it was in nice shape for a 1942. Finish is maybe 75% and the stock saw action but it shoots great and I wouldn't trade it for one with a new stock that's for sure.
Good luck!

microwaveguy
11-18-2010, 7:08 PM
The service grade that I got was just beautiful. Stock has a couple of small dings , MW at 0.5 :D and a trigger group that was H&R instead of Springfield but other than that it could have been a Correct grade. I am very happy that I spent the extra on it, but I am sure whatever you decide it will be a very fine rifle.

SanPedroShooter
11-18-2010, 7:21 PM
I'm thinking maybe i should just get the nicest one i can afford right now. also, microwave guy, i had that same sig, and a mod asked me to take it down. odd.

NaughtyMonkey
11-18-2010, 8:27 PM
The ones I got were Field Grades,

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357165

Its up to you, get the best you can afford!

MKT
11-18-2010, 8:35 PM
I opted to spring the extra $100 and went with the service grade. I received a gun that appeared to be in near new condition although it had a replacement CMP stock set on it. Rumor has it that many of these HRA's coming from the CMP right now are little used but the stocks were in bad shape, possibly from the way they were stored. Since I plan on trying my hand in the high power matches and working on my distinguished badge I wanted a better condition gun which hopefully will be a great shooter in the matches.

NaughtyMonkey
11-18-2010, 8:39 PM
I'm afraid to get new CMP wood, I want old original wood but I like everything to be original, but I guess it is what it is. Nice looking rifle though. :)

bballwizard05
11-18-2010, 8:42 PM
Argghh wish I could contribute. Waiting for mine :)

Divernhunter
11-18-2010, 9:39 PM
Get the service grade.

SanPedroShooter
11-19-2010, 4:59 AM
everyone at the cmp forum says they would only get a field grade if they could hand select it. Also they say to add a little note asking for what you want for example, "request a low muzzle and throat erosion on a sticky (1 or better)". Who knew?
Another guy said you should expect the worst and hope for the best, and if you go SG at least you know that even if you get a beater, it will still be a good shooter.
As far as the wood goes, thats my trade, so i'm not worried about that.
I want a good shooter with no rust and most of park intact.
I'm going service grade.

SanPedroShooter
11-19-2010, 5:09 AM
mkt, that is clean! Although i would like origianl usgi wood if i can get it.
I suppose you could argue that the cmp stocks ARE usgi, but whatever, the key word here is "patina". But i can make new wood look really old, do it all the time. Not that i would in this case, im just throwing it out there.
Naughty monkey, those two are also super clean, especially the hra. damn. I can only imagine that the SG's are close but have tighter tolerance's, bore and throat erosion etc...

campperrykid
11-19-2010, 8:18 AM
FWIW:
Another vote for Service Grade . Especially for the first one , sets a standard. The Greek AF SG guns are some of the nicest rifles in years . I would not worry about CMP running out of Garands for a long while . Their resupply might slow down a little until the wars settle down -- but they have quite a few Garands on hand . When one well goes dry CMP and the Army have always dug another. You can get a FG later.

Reductio
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
You can put a sticky request on any order, but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll get it... unless you happen to be military, then be SURE to put that down!

I've got an SG on the way, and if you can afford the extra 100, I'd say go for it. I've seen some awfully nice FG's recently, but always get the best you can afford.

Omega13device
11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Service grade all the way.

If you end up with CMP wood and you don't like it you can easily pick up a good-condition, correct stock off the CMP forums.

Orlando
11-19-2010, 5:48 PM
Just becuase someone posts a pic of a nice looking Field Grade dont think thats the norm.
Go read the grade description and expect to get exactly that, anything better will be a surprise
I have personally inspected hundreds of Field Grades and most of them swallowed a Muzzle Gauge. The ONLY way I would buy a Field Grade is buy hand picking.
Get a Service Grade and you wont be dissapointed
JMO

blu97
11-19-2010, 8:00 PM
Couldn't deside so sent an order for one of each, H&R field and service grade, got the dbu on the 15th, should have rifles by Xmas

Dr.Mauser
11-19-2010, 8:16 PM
I'd go with field, CMP has amazing rifles no matter the grade, my rack grade were amazing!

RaceDay
11-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Service grade. You aren't handpicking the rifle at the store so spend the extra $100 to get a rifle that is not all shot out. Plus how many Garands are you planning on getting? Get a good one now and never have to worry about trading up.

SanPedroShooter
11-20-2010, 5:31 AM
FWIW:
Another vote for Service Grade . Especially for the first one , sets a standard. The Greek AF SG guns are some of the nicest rifles in years . I would not worry about CMP running out of Garands for a long while . Their resupply might slow down a little until the wars settle down -- but they have quite a few Garands on hand . When one well goes dry CMP and the Army have always dug another. You can get a FG later.

This is my thinking too. Service grade for the first one, maybe take my chances on field down the road.

"You can put a sticky request on any order, but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll get it... unless you happen to be military, then be SURE to put that down!"

I am a Veteran, should i send my DD214 instead of my FFL for proof of firearms experiance? (Where the hell is my DD124?)
I was thinking of writing a cover letter thanking the CMP for everything they do and requesting a "good shooter, something with very low (1 or better) thorat and muzzle erosion, with clean USGI wood", in other words a perfect specimen, ha ha.

Jarhead
11-20-2010, 9:44 PM
Service

Drivedabizness
11-20-2010, 9:54 PM
Go for it...Distinguished really means something!!!

When I started shooting I met folks who had invested heavily (our sport is NOT cheap) for many years and were still hoping to go Distinguished some day. It shows both talent AND perseverance!