PDA

View Full Version : Gunbroker.com purchase

jmgray
06-26-2006, 8:11 PM
Is a gunbroker.com (or any firarm purchase from an out of state individual) subject to the same regs as person to person transfer within CA, as far as limiting FFL fees?

I bought a 1911 last night thru gun broker, the only gunshop in my area that was open today wants $135 to do the transfer. Im hoping that the places that will be open tomorrow will be around the expected $20-30. Am I going to be disappointed?

xenophobe
06-26-2006, 8:16 PM
No, a FFL may charge you any amount they wish to receive a firearm from another FFL.

Most will do it for 10% of the value of the item, or a flat fee... some as low as $25 + DROS, and some places as high as... well you see what your dealer wants.

zefflyn
06-26-2006, 8:32 PM
When a gun is mailed to the FFL, it becomes a dealer sale & transfer. They charge the mandatory DROS & whatever other fees, plus whatever they want for their personal "receive firearm and perform transfer" fee. If it's a new gun coming in from out of state, some may charge sales tax. But then, you're supposed to pay tax on anything you mail-order out of state anyway.

m1aowner
06-26-2006, 8:54 PM
Hey, who does it for $25?:D

No, a FFL may charge you any amount they wish to receive a firearm from another FFL.

Most will do it for 10% of the value of the item, or a flat fee... some as low as $25 + DROS, and some places as high as... well you see what your dealer wants.

Overkill
06-26-2006, 9:12 PM
Where are you located. There are a few FFL's here in northern Cali (North Sac/ Chico area) that only charge $35 (that includes the $25 DROS fee). This is as low as I think you'll find.

Check around- it's usually the local FFL's (that don't have a storefront) that have the most reasonable prices.

m1aowner
06-26-2006, 9:20 PM
I'm in San Ramon. That would be to far to drive for DROS, and pick up. Thanks though.

Where are you located. There are a few FFL's here in northern Cali (North Sac/ Chico area) that only charge $35 (that includes the $25 DROS fee). This is as low as I think you'll find.

Check around- it's usually the local FFL's (that don't have a storefront) that have the most reasonable prices.

dmckean44
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure CA's Internet Tax Moratorium prohibits taxing goods unless the seller has a physical presence in the state. Or did that expire?

colossians323
06-27-2006, 6:46 AM
Try contacting Rob Blank in Milpitas, it will be 25dros 40 fee.
I hope the 1911 you bought is on the Kali list, otherwise no one will transfer it.

bootcamp
06-27-2006, 2:40 PM
I'm in San Ramon. That would be to far to drive for DROS, and pick up. Thanks though.

Call Andreotti Firearms in Castro Valley. I believe he does it for $25 or $35 for FTF.

I transferred a firearms there twice. He's cool but the place stinks of ciggarette smoke x 100 and almost looks like he's ready to croak over when he coughs.

guimus
06-27-2006, 4:03 PM
I've had guns shipped to a ffl holder in Santa Clara that will do transfers for 50 (long guns) or 55 (handguns) total. That includes dros, and they don't charge tax for out of state sales.

leelaw
06-27-2006, 4:10 PM
I'm pretty sure CA's Internet Tax Moratorium prohibits taxing goods unless the seller has a physical presence in the state. Or did that expire?

Franchise Tax Board says, thanks to the DROSALE being called what it is, transfers are in fact the point-of-sale, and tax must be collected on the price of the firearm on the invoivce that was shipped with the firearm.

So.. the shop I manage would be: $25 DROS, $35 transfer, 7.375% Tax, and I hate charging the friggen tax because I think it's bull, but we don't want the DOJ to get pissy at us because the FTB complains about us not collecting their taxes.:rolleyes:

tankerman
06-27-2006, 6:33 PM
guns america website has an FFL search feature that allows you search your local area. Many listings of non shop owners. Contact info is also provided. It is under the heading TRANSFER DEALERShttp://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi

dmckean44
06-27-2006, 7:06 PM
leelaw,

What's to keep me from just telling the FFL to mail the invoice directly to me and me telling you that it was a trade?

m1aowner
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Tax? What Tax? I got it in a trade. I get taxed enough. How many billions go to education in this state?

leelaw
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
leelaw,

What's to keep me from just telling the FFL to mail the invoice directly to me and me telling you that it was a trade?

Don't do that or we'll have to blue book the value.

If, however, you have him send an invoice saying that you traded him a gun plus $25 for the one you're receiving, or paid $50 for it since he owed you some deal anyways, that's all that can be taxed on (but don't lie, that would be bad.....).

Jicko
06-28-2006, 1:28 AM
Know ANYONE/FFL who will do GunBroker (private individual) transfer in SAN DIEGO!? I am having a HARD time finding one.

Even Royal Loan will only accept from another FFL, rather than an individual...

And the individual, reasonably, would like a faxed copy of the receiving FFL, which Royal Loan is NOT willing to send out to just an individual.

I'm STUCK.

PLEASE HELP. :confused: