PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Super 90

Mr.RoDiN
06-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I think i am finally going to shoot my benelli M1 this weekend. Since the 4th of July is coming up, I went to wal mart to pick up some shotgun shells. I usually buy the bulk (100 round 1oz, 2 3/4, 7 1/2) for my winchester 1300, but I found a great deal for 1oz, 2 3/4, #6 shot ammo. I picked up a few boxes. I am just curious if any of you out there have tried this particular round through this shotgun. Does it cycle well? What is the best, least expensive ammo i can buy for this shotgun? Thanks!:)

TRP PRO 1911
06-26-2006, 2:50 AM
The M1 super 90 likes HOT shotgun ammo. It will not function the light target loads until the gun is broken in well with high base loads. YMMV. Good luck.

Mr.RoDiN
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Any suggestions? Any certain # shot or brand?

swq
06-26-2006, 1:26 PM
I've found just the opposite in my M1 Super 90. It handles everything from buckshot, slugs to #8 shot bird loads without any problems. The ones where I heard of problems were in older ones. I usually shoot #7 1/2 or #8 shot Winchester in the indoor range that I go to. It also handles reduced recoil slugs and buckshot.

esskay
06-26-2006, 2:08 PM
I've found just the opposite in my M1 Super 90. It handles everything from buckshot, slugs to #8 shot bird loads without any problems. The ones where I heard of problems were in older ones. I usually shoot #7 1/2 or #8 shot Winchester in the indoor range that I go to. It also handles reduced recoil slugs and buckshot.

Straight stock or pistol grip stock? I've read that due to the difference in what energy is absorbed by the shooter vs the gun with the different stocks types that the straight stock has tended to be more reliable with a wider variety of loads.

Mr.RoDiN
06-26-2006, 3:07 PM
I got the Pistol Grip Stock on mine. Also I bought mine used through a PPT so I do not know if it is newer model or older. Is there a way I can tell? Maybe serial number?

swq
06-26-2006, 4:04 PM
Straight stock or pistol grip stock? I've read that due to the difference in what energy is absorbed by the shooter vs the gun with the different stocks types that the straight stock has tended to be more reliable with a wider variety of loads.

I have both stocks. Function was the same with either stock attached.

Ratters
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Mine won't cycle birdshot reliably when I'm holding the pistol grip, but if I hold it like a regular stock it will. It will cycle my buckshot just fine but I don't have any cheap sources for that. :(

Mr.RoDiN
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok newb question. Since this is my first semi auto shotgun, and is not gas operated but blow back, what am I looking for as far as "hot" rounds go? Am I looking for a higher ounce or higher shot number. For instant is 1 1/4 ounce hotter than 1oz or is a #3 shot hotter than a #8. I mean I know as far as shot sizes go its the size of the pellets, but will it affect cycling?

swq
06-27-2006, 3:09 PM
I would get some different loads and experiment to see what the shotgun likes. For hot loads you can get a box of 2 3/4" 00 buckshot and 2 3/4" 1oz slugs. Also get a box of birdshot 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Try that out before buying a bunch of shells.

50 Freak
06-27-2006, 3:11 PM
My M3 if I recall (haven't shot it in years) didn't like the light loads too much.

Older HK model with a PG.

rorschach
06-27-2006, 4:06 PM
These are on sale at Tuners again starting Jube 29, for 850.00.

I put one on lawaway a few weeks ago. These have the funky muzzle brake, kinda looks like a breaching muzzle.

I eventually plan to swap in a plain 18 inch barrel, and a mag extension from nodakspud. Anyone know whats involved in rebarreling? Is it as easy as a Remy, or or there pressing involved?

GW
06-27-2006, 4:59 PM
I would get some different loads and experiment to see what the shotgun likes. For hot loads you can get a box of 2 3/4" 00 buckshot and 2 3/4" 1oz slugs. Also get a box of birdshot 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Try that out before buying a bunch of shells.
This is the best advice every shotgun will will function & pattern differently
Remington Police loads are great if you can find them Federal LE ammo is goos too but you can't go wrong with Sellier& Belloit buckshot loads

For birdshot, I like Remington upland game loads You can usually find these pretty cheap at Big 5
Good luck & congratulations on your M1 super 90!!

Ironballs
06-27-2006, 5:14 PM
http://turners.com/engage/ads/06-29-06/benelli.gif

they go online for alot more, and considering there is only 400 ever made.... they should hold their value/appreciate, plus the SBR guys would love this thing, as cutting the brake, you keep the sight, at exactly 14"- great if you ever move and want to pay the $5 to reg it as a SBR (or AOW) whatever...

downside is less capacity than the 18" and longer mag tube...

saki302
06-27-2006, 5:29 PM
I second the straight-stock effect. I can shoot anything with my straight stock, btu I get short cycles with light loads and my PG stock.

Barrel swaps are just like an 870.

-Dave

ivanimal
06-27-2006, 9:07 PM
I bought 2 100 packs of this and it did not cycle well in my Browning Gold hunter.

Edbon did not mind he shot it up with his Beretta.

buffybuster
06-27-2006, 9:41 PM
Regarding the Benelli M1 Super 90 and light loads.

The answer, in my experience, is that it depends...

The older models really needed heavier loads to cycle reliably. Those made more recently, since the past 10 years or so, are more tolerant of light loads. The older models had a heavy steel op rod in the buffer tube assembly (in the stock) which would not cycle light loads. The more recent manufacture units have a lighter op rod.

These newer models with the lighter op rod, usually cycle high velocity 1 oz loads reliably, as long as you have the weapon tightly in your shoulder and you don't have alot of accessories hanging off your weapon (changes the mass of the weapon).

1-1/4 oz loads usually cycle all models of the M1S90, whether old or new models.

The M1S90 is rather susceptible to short cycling, when lots of accessories are hung on them, since the extra mass consumes some of the recoil energy. That's why Benelli developed the M4 model, recoil operated with gas assist.

Mr.RoDiN
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Regarding the Benelli M1 Super 90 and light loads.

The answer, in my experience, is that it depends...

The older models really needed heavier loads to cycle reliably. Those made more recently, since the past 10 years or so, are more tolerant of light loads. The older models had a heavy steel op rod in the buffer tube assembly (in the stock) which would not cycle light loads. The more recent manufacture units have a lighter op rod.

These newer models with the lighter op rod, usually cycle high velocity 1 oz loads reliably, as long as you have the weapon tightly in your shoulder and you don't have alot of accessories hanging off your weapon (changes the mass of the weapon).

1-1/4 oz loads usually cycle all models of the M1S90, whether old or new models.

The M1S90 is rather susceptible to short cycling, when lots of accessories are hung on them, since the extra mass consumes some of the recoil energy. That's why Benelli developed the M4 model, recoil operated with gas assist.

Can I tell how old my shot gun is, just by my serial number?

saki302
06-28-2006, 12:14 AM
I know mine is old- it's marked 'HK' :)

It is borderline 'pre-ban' from 1994, as if there is still such a thing.

-Dave

Pokey
06-28-2006, 8:50 AM
Anyone know whats involved in rebarreling? Is it as easy as a Remy, or or there pressing involved?

Very similar to 870 with a little more wiggling to get everything in the right place but only a couple minutes to change after the first time.

Ironballs
06-28-2006, 9:00 AM
i got an older police trade in 1201fp... and it has not had a failure with a multitude of light stuff...

(have an extrapower wolf spring, but did not install it as she functions so perfectly now)...