PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive space keeps disappearing..

HotRails
11-16-2010, 11:31 PM
but Im not saving anything new. What could be wrong? I have Kaspersky AV but maybe its missing something?

jrara
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Running Any auto Updates for Kapersky?

Symantec had a habit of retaining the update files which took a lot of Hard drive space.

HotRails
11-17-2010, 1:16 AM
Running Any auto Updates for Kapersky?

Symantec had a habit of retaining the update files which took a lot of Hard drive space.

I am running auto updates for Kaspersky. How would I check for this and dump the files?

Merc1138
11-17-2010, 1:40 AM
Your internet cache(also called temporary files in your browser) can eat up a ton of space, so can windows restore points if you have that enabled(that can eat up a few GB of space easily).

How much hard drive space is disappearing how often? You left that bit of information out and it can definitely provide a clue.

gschoelles
11-17-2010, 7:23 AM
Try CCcleaner, its a free download

HotRails
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Your internet cache(also called temporary files in your browser) can eat up a ton of space, so can windows restore points if you have that enabled(that can eat up a few GB of space easily).

How much hard drive space is disappearing how often? You left that bit of information out and it can definitely provide a clue.

Merc, thanks for the reply but I actually keep my temp directory cleaned out often since this has been happening. I can't give you an exact idea of how rapidly memory is being used up, but to give a general idea I removed Turbo Tax, which is a sizeable program, about three weeks ago and that space is now gone.

Merc1138
11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Turbo tax can't be that large of an application, a couple of GB at the most? I also gave you another thing to check besides the temp directory for your browser.

I did just remember a useful app if you want an interesting way to see what files are eating up how much space on your drive all at once:

http://windirstat.info/

Download it, install it(your AV software shouldn't have any issues with it), run it, and let it scan your drive. It'll display the filesizes of every file and folder on your drive at once. The screenshots on the site explain it better than I can in text. Locate what's using up all of this space, let us know what it is, and then we might be able to tell you how to deal with it.

Joe
11-17-2010, 1:02 PM
Try CCcleaner, its a free download

agreed

Digital_Boy
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
How big a hard drive, and how much is left?

exklusve
11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
download Space Monger.
Gives you a graphical representation of data on any drive.

JDay
11-19-2010, 7:05 PM

There's also a temp directory that holds temporary files from installations, just run the disk cleanup tool (it's part of windows) to clean this stuff out. You can also disable windows restore and you'll recover 10% of your disk space.

ETA: If you get a lot of blue screens your drive will have a lot of memory dump files on it, these are the size of the amount of RAM in your system.

Cbr1000Rider
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Just buy a simple external USB harddrive space at best buy for all your non-executable files (such as videos, work documents). Your C Drive should have plenty of space for any programs that need to be installed.

You can buy a 2 Terabyte drive for like $120? You could even probably partition it and install stuff on it if you google how to.

Edit: You will not need 2 terabytes. most you will probably need is 500GB which you can probably find for say $40?

Barbarossa
11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
You can also try WinUtilities (http://download.cnet.com/WinUtilities-Free-Edition/3000-18512_4-75021441.html)

rynando
11-22-2010, 5:05 PM
It could be your swap file . . . You can limit its size and even put it on a different partition if you'd like.

JDay
11-22-2010, 5:13 PM
It could be your swap file . . . You can limit it's size and even put it on a different partition if you'd like.

The swap file shouldn't change size.

rynando
11-22-2010, 5:19 PM
The swap file shouldn't change size.

Yes this is true. If he's almost out of disk space the swap will expand to fill the space left by any recently deleted files until it gets back to it's allocated size. I just re-read the OP and he doesn't mention that he's out of space so never mind. I thought that's what was going on.

sindominator
11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Agree with "Jday"

Run Disk Cleanup followed by a Defragmentation and do it every 3 months or so.

Question: Do you have multiple profiles/login accounts on your computer. Wife, kids, roomate?