PDA

View Full Version : to those w/gun law & AW questions: please don't "confess" to me...

bwiese
06-25-2006, 12:22 PM
For the last month or two I've been getting lotsa mail about AW questions. (A decent fraction of these may well be from AR15.COM people and not Calguns, I haven't tracked who's who.)

A large proportion of these questions have not revolved around current OLL issues but basic Roberti-Roos and SB23 AW registration and import matters and things like "I didn't register so when can I register again?"

If you have a general question, pose it generically ("Can someone from outside CA drive an unreg'd AW into CA?"). Do not reference any element directly to your particular situation/personal details ("I have my Colt AR15 stored at my brother's house in Mariposa but it's unregistered..."). You are probably not a good enough writer, though, to sufficiently legally "talk around" your situation.

Frankly, if you have doubts about legal status and prospective criminality you shouldn't be asking me anything - you should be talking to a lawyer as that's the only place you'll have confidentiality. I'm of course not a lawyer but I do know the CA AW laws pretty well, and can supply some reasonable plain-English explanations on how to stay legal.

My worry is that someone will be busted (esp from the nature of some of these questions) and emails to me could be used as further indications of guilt. If worse came to worse, I could perhaps be forced to testify or be deposed about some particulars of your situation that you revealed to me - and, no, I won't 'be cool' and commit perjury to get your dumb a** out of the sling because you were too dumb not to ignore 15 years of AW laws that, on the larger scale, are relatively easy to grasp.

Also remember you have NO privacy or anonymity here. Even if you think you are anonymous, your location can most likely be found in two hours or less, without a whole lotta work - and a good chance this happens without even a subpoena.

edwardm
06-25-2006, 12:54 PM
For the last month or two I've been getting lotsa mail about AW questions. (A decent fraction of these may well be from AR15.COM people and not Calguns, I haven't tracked who's who.)

A large proportion of these questions have not revolved around current OLL issues but basic Roberti-Roos and SB23 AW registration and import matters and things like "I didn't register so when can I register again?"

If you have a general question, pose it generically ("Can someone from outside CA drive an AW into CA?"). Do not reference any element directly to your situation/personal details ("I have my Colt AR15 stored at my brother's house in Mariposa but it's unregistered..."). You are probably not a good enough writer, though, to sufficiently legally "talk around" your situation.

Frankly, if you have doubts about legal status and prospective criminality you shouldn't be asking me anything - you should be talking to a lawyer as that's the only place you'll have confidentiality. I'm of course not a lawyer but I do know the CA AW laws pretty well, and can supply some reasonable plain-English explanations on how to stay legal.

My worry is that someone will be busted (esp from the nature of some of these questions) and emails to me could be used as further indications of guilt. If worse came to worse, I could perhaps be forced to testify or be deposed about some particulars of your situation that you revealed to me - and, no, I won't 'be cool' and commit perjury to get your dumb nonono out of the sling because you were too dumb not to ignore 15 years of AW laws that, in general,

Also remember you have NO privacy or anonymity here. Even if you think you are anonymous, your location can most likely be found in two hours or less, without a whole lotta work - and a good chance this happens without even a subpoena.

Here's an idea. Stop holding yourself out as the expert you claim to be. Then people will leave you alone. Simple, right? Or accept that because you do hold yourself out to be something, that people will seek you out.

This is like complaining that you're hot, when you choose to wear all black in 110F heat. What did you expect?

dezertrat
06-25-2006, 1:04 PM
Dude being an expert and being a lawyer are quite different. As bwise is not a lawyer he has NO attorney client privilege, and confessing something to him is quite stupid.

He has helped many on this board and others, quit being a troll

Mssr. Eleganté
06-25-2006, 1:07 PM
Here's an idea. Stop holding yourself out as the expert you claim to be. Then people will leave you alone. Simple, right? Or accept that because you do hold yourself out to be something, that people will seek you out.

Yeah, Bill. If you'd just stop answering questions people ask on the forum, maybe people would stop asking all these questions. It's like this forum has somehow turned in to one big "ask questions about guns and get good answers" web site instead of what it was meant to be. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

You could at least remove the words "I am the expert I claim to be." from your signature line. That might help a bit.

glen avon
06-25-2006, 1:14 PM
well bill, you sound a bit like like chryssie hynde. can't be a rock star without the fans, ya know....

bwiese
06-25-2006, 1:31 PM
well bill, you sound a bit like like chryssie hynde. can't be a rock star without the fans, ya know....

Not *****in' about being asked questions, time spent, etc. Glad always to help, I think I may have kept a few folks outta (prospective) trouble.

But some folks - esp those that are newbies here or on ARF.com just plain come out and treat me as 'Father Confessor' and tell me a whole list of misdeeds. They shouldn't assume I don't have pillow talk sessions w/Ig :)

Santa Cruz Armory
06-25-2006, 1:31 PM
Yeah, Bill. If you'd just stop answering questions people ask on the forum, maybe people would stop asking all these questions. It's like this forum has somehow turned in to one big "ask questions about guns and get good answers" web site instead of what it was meant to be. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

You could at least remove the words "I am the expert I claim to be." from your signature line. That might help a bit.

Well, maybe if we ALL stop answering and asking questions this will be a better forum...Bullcrap! I feel that is what this, and other gun related forums are about. They're about Q&A and advice.

We all know that this state has the most asinine gun laws imaginable, even the "professionals" don't know how to interpret them.

I think that Bill (and others) are a valuable resource, but as he states, he is not a lawyer. We can take their advice but in the end, quoting Calguns law or Bwiese law isn't gonna get your arse outta jail!

I am guilty as well, I have PM'd Bill and other people on this forum in regards to their "opinion" but in the end it's MY responsibility to know and abide by the laws that are currently on the books.

Thanks Bill, GlenAvon, Artherd, Treelogger, Tenpercent and others for the help.

bwiese
06-25-2006, 1:38 PM

Never said I was an "expert"; I do have a good grounding on how to stay outta jail w/regards to AW.

You misunderstood the point & tone of my post - this isn't a ***** about answering questions, sometimes it's a nice break from writing code. This is a caution to questioners to not "confess" and give out info that can possibly be held against them.

This is like complaining that you're hot, when you choose to wear all black in 110F heat. What did you expect?

Again, you totally missed the tenor of my orig post. Not complaining about the questions, but the possible legal end effects of the content of those questions upon the questioner....

onley11
06-25-2006, 1:38 PM
Some people have the right to remain silent, but not the ability. If you want to tell someone you're breaking the law, you deserve whatever you get, but don't put someone else in the uncomfortable position of having to burn you just because you have no discresion. If you have a question, post it to this forum, and ask it. As the great Bill has said, don't describe your situation and how you broke the law, just ask if something is ok.

ok:
Is it ok to have a threaded barrel on a revolver.

not ok:
I have a colt detective special with a threaded barrel that I got from my druggie brother, which was never dros'd in my name, should I put a fake silencer on it?(I don't have any assault weapons or brothers, this is just an example)

edited after seeing Bill's last post.

glen avon
06-25-2006, 1:42 PM
maybe you should edit the initial post to be more clear; e.g., instead of "confess" use "admit illegal acts."

might get the point across better.

bwiese
06-25-2006, 1:48 PM
maybe you should edit the initial post to be more clear; e.g., instead of "confess" use "admit illegal acts."

might get the point across better.

Fair enough.
And I just learned who 'Chrissie Hynde' is.

glen avon
06-25-2006, 2:12 PM
And I just learned who 'Chrissie Hynde' is.

where have you been? ;)

like her or not, she's part of pop culture *and* classic hits of the 80's.

Josh
06-25-2006, 2:16 PM

Again, you totally missed the tenor of my orig post. Not complaining about the questions, but the possible legal end effects of the content of those questions upon the questioner....

I think you missed the point, I do believe the boy is getting sweet on you. :D

CaptMike
06-25-2006, 2:20 PM
Forgive me father for I have sinned.......

J/K:) :) :)

bwiese
06-25-2006, 2:23 PM
where have you been? ;)

like her or not, she's part of pop culture *and* classic hits of the 80's.

Not my music, man. Kinda isolated from that arena. I'm not a 'pop' guy. Which sucks when I've played Trivial Pursuit - I can tell you who the Watergate burglars are but draw a void when modern music subjects come up.

Grew up playing a bit of Chopin; have a disc of Brahms quintets on my truck's CD player now. Was pulled over by CHP for 'conducting' Mahler while driving about 12 years ago. Classical redneck :)

newtothis
06-25-2006, 2:32 PM

Being relatively new...what was it (the forum) meant to be?

leelaw
06-25-2006, 2:37 PM
A place where you can laugh at sarcasm.:D

Mssr. Eleganté
06-25-2006, 2:51 PM

How many smilies do I have to put after my posts?

Two?

Three?

I think the forum software only supports 4 smilies max, but I will not go that high.

chickenfried
06-25-2006, 2:55 PM
If you guys think it's hard to understand Amendment II's online jibber jabber, you should try figuring him out in person, talk about :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: .

xenophobe
06-25-2006, 3:11 PM
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law... and can be forced out of someone who is not a lawyer or doctor.

newtothis
06-25-2006, 3:15 PM
How many smilies do I have to put after my posts?

Two?

Three?

I think the forum software only supports 4 smilies max, but I will not go that high.

oh:D Which is the sarcasm Smile?;)

C.G.
06-25-2006, 3:40 PM
oh:D Which is the sarcasm Smile?;)

Actually it is this one: :rolleyes:

Stanze
06-25-2006, 8:23 PM
"We f-----' deserve to get bombed. Bring it on. . . . . . . Let's get rid of all the economic s--- this country represents! Bring it on, I hope the Muslims win! "

Chrissie Hynde

:rolleyes:

five.five-six
06-25-2006, 8:36 PM

WTF Bill is an excellent recourse all he is saying is he is not a lawyer... it is not all that bright to transmit potently incriminating information over the Internet with out lawyer client privilege. He has read most I not all the recent legislation and judicial decisions. He will save you a bunch of time by referencing them in most of his posts... Bill PLEASE continue the role of expert!

jdberger
06-26-2006, 1:37 AM
Solution:

Bill, become a priest. I'm pretty sure that there are some easy online applications, then, you can take confession.....!!!

<yeah, I know that this is way off, but geez, it's late and I'm feelin' creative>

adamsreeftank
06-26-2006, 2:49 AM
It kind of reminds me of the photos of illegally configured rifles that ocasionally show up here and on ARF.com. You really have to wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

KenpoProfessor
06-26-2006, 4:00 AM
Solution:

Bill, become a priest. I'm pretty sure that there are some easy online applications, then, you can take confession.....!!!

<yeah, I know that this is way off, but geez, it's late and I'm feelin' creative>

I was gonna suggest the same thing LOL. Universal Life Church, in ten minutes you're ordained online. Hmm, The Holy Church of the AR-15 has a nice ring to it. We could use the first amendment to protect the second, now that would be a loophole wouldn't it? LOL.

OR:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Church of the Bill of Rights.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

JPglee1
06-26-2006, 6:58 AM
It kind of reminds me of the photos of illegally configured rifles that ocasionally show up here and on ARF.com. You really have to wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

They were all taken in Nevada ;)

JP

Bling Bling 2.0
06-26-2006, 7:53 AM
heh I really enjoy reading the 'ask bill' posts. The good ones are where someone asks him for help/question, then they get upset with the response because of the crappy gun laws in the state (that they blame on him for some reason), then he gets flamed, it goes on for 8 pages, then it's quiet for a week and it starts again.

It's very tiresome but many good things have come out of CG. Dumb questions and close minded posters aside there are some people that would have been in jail if they had continued their habits. And the less gun owners in jail means more voters if we ever get someone interested in standing up for us.

xrMike
06-26-2006, 8:33 AM
Also remember you have NO privacy or anonymity here. Even if you think you are anonymous, your location can most likely be found in two hours or less, without a whole lotta work - and a good chance this happens without even a subpoena.Well, you CAN be anonymous if you take the effort to be... For example, you can configure your browser to route your posts through a proxy server located in a country that does not have good relations with the U.S... Cuba, Argentina, etc...

In order to go after somebody based on their online admissions of evilness, the DOJ would have to request the IP address from the owner of Calguns.net. The owner could give up that info freely, or he could say: "Screw you, I g n a t i u s! Come back with a warrant!" -- in which case he will have to give up the info...

However, if you routed through a proxy, the DOJ will then see the IP address of the proxy server (not your service provider), and their only option then is to approach the govt. of that country and try to get more info from them. Which is not likely to happen.

In addition, if you route through MULTIPLE proxies, you make it even tougher for them.

five.five-six
06-26-2006, 8:54 AM
Well, you CAN be anonymous if you take the effort to be... For example, you can configure your browser to route your posts through a proxy server located in a country that does not have good relations with the U.S... Cuba, Argentina, etc...

In order to go after somebody based on their online admissions of evilness, the DOJ would have to request the IP address from the owner of Calguns.net. The owner could give up that info freely, or he could say: "Screw you, I g n a t i u s! Come back with a warrant!" -- in which case he will have to give up the info...

However, if you routed through a proxy, the DOJ will then see the IP address of the proxy server (not your service provider), and their only option then is to approach the govt. of that country and try to get more info from them. Which is not likely to happen.

In addition, if you route through MULTIPLE proxies, you make it even tougher for them.

errr we coninplate drinking beer and shooting beer here.. that is a bit complicated.. personaly i prefer shooting a beer a good center mas hit with a .308 realy makes them blow up good :)

bwiese
06-26-2006, 2:49 PM
Solution:

I grew up Catholic but reformed into an agnosto-atheist (or something like that). Nevertheless, from the Church of St. Eugene:

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It's been a year since my last confession."

"Well, my boy, they say confession is good for your soul. What are your sins?"

"Um, my barrel on my AR is not chrome lined. And I bought a Springfield SOCOM even though it doesn't have a chromed bore..."

"Ahh, yes, we all can be tempted by surface appearances..."

"I bought AR parts from Model 1 Sales. I feel really gritty for this, but that was just the excess coating dripping out of the baggie..."

"Son, you have to go with quality. Don't be tempted by a cheap fling with soft metal."

"And I shot Maine Cartridge Co 223 reloads without checking the primers."

"Oooh, God acts in strange ways. Perhaps we should not tempt him."

"Anything else, my boy?"

"No, Father... other than being tempted by piston AR uppers and 6.8Grendel..."

"Well, don't give into temptation. Those that want don't always get, or get what they want.

Through the power of the Church of St. Eugene I absolve you of your sins and urge you to act thoughtfully in the future. For penance, you should read the Marine Core M16 tech manual, read all of Miss Merrilee's memos and understand their inner agreement despite their outer conflict, and to finish off the 1965 Pontiac in the Nevada desert just north of Patrick.

May St. Eugene and brothers Browning and Colt be with you, and may you have peace from your superior firepower."

Mute
06-26-2006, 2:57 PM
Jeez people, he's not saying you can't be a fan. Just don't tell him you behead someone and are now using the severed head as the centerpiece to your shrine. Got it? If you really aren't sure of the legality of your actions call a fricking lawyer. At the very least you have client-attorney privacy rights.

adamsreeftank
06-26-2006, 4:53 PM
Jeez people, he's not saying you can't be a fan. Just don't tell him you behead someone and are now using the severed head as the centerpiece to your shrine. Got it? If you really aren't sure of the legality of your actions KEEP YOUR FRICKIN MOUTH SHUT. At the very least you have client-attorney privacy rights.

Fixed it for you.