PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new rifle?

jmlivingston
06-24-2006, 7:52 PM
Silly question, of course I do! But seriously, I'm thinking of a new rifle for the upcoming deer and black bear seasons. I just got drawn for X9b, and I'm thinking I want a new rifle this season. Unfortunately I don't know what I want.

I'd like to be accurate out to 300 yards or more, and I'd consider either a bolt or lever -action. Must have enough stopping power to be suitable for mule deer and black bear, and fun for plinking and occasional target/range time as well. Haven't set a price range yet, probably don't want to go over $600-$700 but the cheaper the better.

If I go with a bolt action my thoughts are 30-06 or .308, probably lean towards 30-06 just because it seems to have been around for so long and my dad had own when I was growing up. Most likely a Remington or a Savage, but might consider one of the Howa packages that Turners runs every once in a while.

I'd really like a lever-action though, probably a Marlin since the manufacturing of Winchester is shutting down. From what I'm seeing the suitable calibers available in a lever just aren't up to the same flat trajectory as either the 30-06 or .308 are, and I'm concerned about what will happen to accuracy when getting out towards 300 yards. The suitable calibers available for a lever-action appear to be 30-30, 444 Marlin, and 45-70. Am I missing any that I should be considering? Do any of you guys use a lever-gun for deer or should I just look for a nice bolt-action?

Thanks!
John

Fjold
06-24-2006, 8:09 PM
I would recommend the bolt action in 270 or 30.06 in a long action or in 7-08 or 308 in the short action. Even with the newer ammunition the factory stock levers guns just don't compete accuracy wise with the bolt actions. The Savage 10-16 or 110-116 models or Remington model 7 or 700 bolt rifles will be great choices but I couldn't recommend the Remington 710.

thmpr
06-24-2006, 8:24 PM
6.5 Grendal... Just my $.02

delloro
06-24-2006, 9:33 PM
savage .30-06. made in america, great guns. wait for a sale at big5 or turners. if it comes as a combo, sell the scope and mount on eBay and get a Bushnell 3200 in 2-7 or 3-9. use good mounts, like leupolds. you will have the best deal available in rifle and scope.

five.five-six
06-24-2006, 9:43 PM
YES

what are you thinking asking a question like that round here?:D

now I will go back and read what you wrote

five.five-six
06-24-2006, 9:56 PM
ok first of all click here to see scantly clad women with guns (http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/girl01-set05-041.jpg) or here (http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/girl01-set05-025.jpg)

now tha that is out of the way.. the 30-06 is only 2 years older than the .308. you can not go wrong with a rem 700. it is on my list just as soon as I get over a serious bout with black rifle diseze:D :D

my list

6.5 upper
m1 garand D-day vintage
1911 .45acp
rem 700 in .308 (just caus it matches my ar-10)
browning lightning in 16 or 20 ga

once I have all these, then i can be truly happy :)

socalsteve
06-24-2006, 10:17 PM
when thinking of .308 or .30-06 don't forget the Browning BLR - Its a leveraction and it is available in both of those calibers.

I bought a nice browning blr on gunbroker in .308. In excellent condition (maybe 95% only 2 smudges on the blueing) with a simmones 3 - 9x scope for $475. And with military surplus .308 ammo I can plink as cheap as pistol rounds.

Browning makes 2 models one has the barrel bands and the tube under the barrel the other has the magazine and no under barrel tube or barrel bands - the barrel looks free floating to me (might not be).

I bought it becasue I wanted a leveraction right before Winchester announced they were going out of business and the Winchesters went way up in price.

Remington also makes a very nice pump action in .308 and .30-06 thats shoots as good as I can.

jmlivingston
06-24-2006, 10:58 PM
See, I knew I could count on you guys to give me some more ideas! I like SoCalSteve's idea of the BLR in 30-06, I wasn't aware of that one. Too bad Davidson's search feature doesn't have a search option by action type! I just glanced but only saw the ones with the detachable magazine and no tube.

How flat does the 6.5 Grendel shoot compared to the 30-06 or .308? I'm using the ballistic tables on www.gunsandammomag.com and they don't have it listed.

Back to bolt-action, I'm probably leaning toward the Savage with it's great reputation around the accutrigger.

John

C.G.
06-24-2006, 11:55 PM
6.5 Grendel... Just my $.02

Fixed it for you and raise you $.02.:D

C.G.
06-24-2006, 11:58 PM
See, I knew I could count on you guys to give me some more ideas! I like SoCalSteve's idea of the BLR in 30-06, I wasn't aware of that one. Too bad Davidson's search feature doesn't have a search option by action type! I just glanced but only saw the ones with the detachable magazine and no tube.

How flat does the 6.5 Grendel shoot compared to the 30-06 or .308? I'm using the ballistic tables on www.gunsandammomag.com (http://www.gunsandammomag.com) and they don't have it listed.

Back to bolt-action, I'm probably leaning toward the Savage with it's great reputation around the accutrigger.

John

Grendel ballistics compared to .308 and 6.8SPC:
http://www.65grendel.com/graphics/grendelballistics.pdf

rorschach
06-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Ade's has a nice 30-06 Winchester 70 Synthetic for sale. I know cause I just sold it to him today.

Matt-man
06-25-2006, 8:11 AM
the 30-06 is only 2 years older than the .308.

Uh... no. .30-06: 1906. .308: ~1954.

Too bad Davidson's search feature doesn't have a search option by action type! I just glanced but only saw the ones with the detachable magazine and no tube.

BLRs all have detachable box magazines. The ones with the barrel band just look like they have a tube magazine. I don't know why you'd want the tube mag over the box mag anyway - you can load pointed bullets in a box magazine without them blowing up on you. That's why the BLRs are chambered for all those modern rifle cartridges, and Marlins aren't.

Blue
06-25-2006, 8:22 AM
I'd get a Savage, great bang for your buck.

WokMaster1
06-25-2006, 10:04 AM
ok first of all click here to see scantly clad women with guns (http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/girl01-set05-041.jpg) or here (http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/girl01-set05-025.jpg) :)

Is she coming to the Technical Ted's Chabot Shoot & Q on July 3rd?:p

Back to the subject....YES, get some!!!!!:rolleyes:

five.five-six
06-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Is she coming to the Technical Ted's Chabot Shoot & Q on July 3rd?:p

Back to the subject....YES, get some!!!!!:rolleyes:

no but I can bring my wife and kid.. she is much hotter...not korean hot but torri spelling hot none the less

btw where is tech teds shoot? I need to 0 my ar-10 and 300wm

JPglee1
06-25-2006, 10:11 AM
ok first of all click here to see scantly clad women with guns

http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/girl01-set05-025.jpg

JP

JPglee1
06-25-2006, 10:12 AM

He was prolly thinking a .308 is .30-08 LOL

Thats OK, there's a .30-03 round thats similar to the .30-06...

JP

mblat
06-25-2006, 5:19 PM
Whithout even reading post - only reacting to the thread title:

Of cause you do? Is there is one single person on this board that doesn't need new rifle?

jmlivingston
06-25-2006, 5:41 PM
Whithout even reading post - only reacting to the thread title:

Of cause you do? Is there is one single person on this board that doesn't need new rifle?

Well it got some peoples attention, didn't it? :D I've also gotten some good feedback too, and it didn't even feed into a flame war over which is the best caliber! That BLR is really intriguing, otherwise I think I'm looking at a Savage in -06.

John

tankerman
06-25-2006, 6:39 PM
6.5 Grendal... Just my $.02
Yeah, try finding a box of that when your out in the country. Standard hunting cartridges are standards for a reason. Forget the "next great thing". If for some reason you need to buy ammo, you'll be able find it, instead of having to beat the deer to death with the 6.5 Grendal chambered rifle.

Fjold
06-25-2006, 6:53 PM
now tha that is out of the way.. the 30-06 is only 2 years older than the .308. you can not go wrong with a rem 700. it is on my list just as soon as I get over a serious bout with black rifle diseze:D :D

:)

308 Winchester was introduced in September of 1952.

five.five-six
06-25-2006, 7:24 PM
308 Winchester was introduced in September of 1952.
Thanks I always thought it was 1908... I am here to learn thanks for clearing up some misinformation I perpetuated

Shoot-it
06-25-2006, 8:58 PM
Yeah, try finding a box of that when your out in the country. Standard hunting cartridges are standards for a reason. Forget the "next great thing". If for some reason you need to buy ammo, you'll be able find it, instead of having to beat the deer to death with the 6.5 Grendal chambered rifle.

You got that right tankerman I was thinking the same thing. As for the gun i would buy a bolt action or a semi auto browning bar in the new hot 270 WSSM or just the standard 270 ,7mm mag, etc, I would stay away from lever ations and pumps. They are more of a brush gun for close up hunting with in 100 yards.

C.G.
06-26-2006, 2:03 AM

Well, if you are going to travel with a rifle, you would think you would bring a few rounds with you, after all you are not going to war, just shoot some deer. But if you are in Europe you can buy them from Prvi Partizan in Serbia, otherwise marketed by Wolf in US, soon to hit the shores here.
http://www.wolfammo.com/Wolf_Ammo_Catalog2006.pdf
And bottom line is, you really ought to be rolling your own and there is plenty of Lapua brass and bullets available.

BTW, I wonder how many Americans actually hunt outside of US, since only about 20% have passports?

tankerman
06-26-2006, 2:28 AM
hunting trips are often far from home. If for some reason you need to get more ammuntion such as you forgot to bring it, lost it , had it stolen, damaged or whatever. your s=== out of luck. I don't usually bring my reloading on hunting trips. Ask an oldtimer when out in the country If you stop in a store in a hunting area they usually have ammo, for standard calibers only. If people didn't need it they would not be selling the stuff. If you want a 6.5 there are a many already proven cartridges that would be just as effective as the grendal and equally as hard to find. But much classier for a boltgun. 264 Win Mag, 6.5x55, 6.5x54 I bet there is probably more manufactured ammo available for the 6.5x54 than the grendal, and it has a great hunting record.

C.G.
06-26-2006, 3:55 PM
hunting trips are often far from home. If for some reason you need to get more ammuntion such as you forgot to bring it, lost it , had it stolen, damaged or whatever. your s=== out of luck. I don't usually bring my reloading on hunting trips. Ask an oldtimer when out in the country If you stop in a store in a hunting area they usually have ammo, for standard calibers only. If people didn't need it they would not be selling the stuff. If you want a 6.5 there are a many already proven cartridges that would be just as effective as the grendal and equally as hard to find. But much classier for a boltgun. 264 Win Mag, 6.5x55, 6.5x54 I bet there is probably more manufactured ammo available for the 6.5x54 than the grendal, and it has a great hunting record.

I misread your earlier post I thought you meant out of the country.
I agree that 6.5 Swede is a great hunting round, that is what the 6.5 Grendel is based on.
I don't see a problem with having enough ammo with you on a hunting trip, especially if it is in this country, but I guess I don't lose my ammo, I don't forget to bring it, or abuse it, and the places I hunt don't have any stores around anyway.

tankerman
06-26-2006, 6:14 PM
I misread your earlier post I thought you meant out of the country.
I agree that 6.5 Swede is a great hunting round, that is what the 6.5 Grendel is based on.
I don't see a problem with having enough ammo with you on a hunting trip, especially if it is in this country, but I guess I don't lose my ammo, I don't forget to bring it, or abuse it, and the places I hunt don't have any stores around anyway.
Traveling long distances and spending time and money for hunting only to have it end due to an ammo problem that could be taken care of at a country gas station does not sound fun to me. I don't hunt in the middle of the city where there are lots of stores, however gas stations and convenient stores near hunting areas almost always sell ammunition. I don't know many places in the continental US that are that far from a gas station or store. Alaska is a different story, but I don't think that 6.5s would be a safe choice.
I am glad for you that you are perfect and never have anything unexpected happen to you while you are traveling or hunting. My time in the field is important to me and i'm not willing to risk losing if I am traveling far. I do bring a second rifle in something exotic.
6.5x54 Mannlicher for years it was the 30-30 of europe. Generally chambered in the 1903 Mannlicher, the precursor to the modern scout-rifle and quite possibly the finest production bolt rifle ever made. 6.5 swede is nice just not AS nice. I thought the Grendel was based on the Russian 7.62?

C.G.
06-26-2006, 7:05 PM
Traveling long distances and spending time and money for hunting only to have it end due to an ammo problem that could be taken care of at a country gas station does not sound fun to me. I don't hunt in the middle of the city where there are lots of stores, however gas stations and convenient stores near hunting areas almost always sell ammunition. I don't know many places in the continental US that are that far from a gas station or store. Alaska is a different story, but I don't think that 6.5s would be a safe choice.
I am glad for you that you are perfect and never have anything unexpected happen to you while you are traveling or hunting. My time in the field is important to me and i'm not willing to risk losing if I am traveling far. I do bring a second rifle in something exotic.
6.5x54 Mannlicher for years it was the 30-30 of europe. Generally chambered in the 1903 Mannlicher, the precursor to the modern scout-rifle and quite possibly the finest production bolt rifle ever made. 6.5 swede is nice just not AS nice. I thought the Grendel was based on the Russian 7.62?

Actually I am far from perfect, but there are some things that I am very careful about, such as a passport, plane ticket etc. But each one of us does things a little way different.:)
I oversimplified my earlier statement, this is really what AA has to say about the development of the round:

What is the 6.5 Grendel?
The 6.5 Grendel is a relatively new 6.5x39 cartridge from Alexander Arms of Radford, Virginia, USA. It is based roughly on the Russian 7.62x39. It was designed to give AR10 ballistics in an AR15-type rifle package. Originally designed around a 123gr Lapua Scenar (.547 BC) launched at 2610 fps in a 24" barrel, the 6.5 Grendel can shoot flatter and drift less in wind at 800 yards than 7.62 M80, M852, and M118LR, with much less recoil. It also gives hunters a more compact version of the venerable 6.5x55 Swedish, which has earned an enviable reputation the world over as an efficient game-getter.

BTW, I bring more than one rifle, as well.

Greg Beck
06-29-2006, 6:33 AM
Any cartridge in the 30-06 level of power will blow a four inch hole and ruin alot of meat. I think a 6mm,.25,or 6.5 caliber is about right. Yes you need a new rifle. I like my Ruger ultra light ..243 and easy to carry at under 7 pounds.