PDA

View Full Version : Will a 30-30 work for...

Tinman
06-24-2006, 8:45 AM
fending off a bear?

Going fishing in the mountains north of Bishop and want to bring a rifle for fending off any critters if necessary and was wondering if a 30-30 would be fruitless against a bear?

Any input?

Thanks in advance,
~Paul

Blue
06-24-2006, 8:49 AM
Some guy in Alaska killed a bear in his home with a 40cal Glock, I'm sure a 30-30 would work.

m1371
06-24-2006, 9:17 AM
fending off a bear?

Going fishing in the mountains north of Bishop and want to bring a rifle for fending off any critters if necessary and was wondering if a 30-30 would be fruitless against a bear?

Any input?

Thanks in advance,
~Paul

Better than nothing I'd suppose. Depending on how big a bear you're talking about.....

If'n itsa one them there Koodeyaaks he mite laff 'fore he takes yur riffle away fr'm yu.[/hillbillyvoice]

Seriously though, the bigger the caliber the better is what I've always heard.

Gregas
06-24-2006, 9:23 AM
Where are you going? There's many nice areas north of Bishop, some w/ bear problems, others without.

A good shout will fend off a bear in California. There are no Grizzlys in CA, the last one was killed in 1929. Black bears are quite timid. Don't approach a sow w/ cubs, however. But seriously, there's no need to fear the bears in CA. The northern states and Canada are another story. I'd want bigger than 30-30 for Grizzlys or Polar Bears.

The most important thing is not what you carry, but how you store your food. If you are in a problem bear area where bears have gotten used to human food, you need to keep it in a bear box or cannister. You can lock it in your car, if you don't mind your windows broken or doors pryed open. Most campgrounds in problem bear areas supply food lockers and bear-proof trash cans. You have to treat trash the same way; it smells the same to the bear. If you are in the wilderness, carry a bear can.

Don't hang it...they will get it.

The worst thing thing that you can do is let a wild bear get your food; That's how "problem bears" get their start. For your own sake, other campers, and the bears, learn what you can do and be smart about it.

Here is some more info:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bear.shtml

Have a great trip! The Eastern Sierra is my favorite area, anywhere.

ivanimal
06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
That is all my brother uses for bear, in California and usually using dogs. It will work just fine as long as you aim well under pressure. I would practice my rifle handling skills in mock pressure situalions. Remember that you will be holding other stuff like fishing poles and gear.

I like shotgun the best, using birdshot in the first load and slugs in the rest. shoot for the face.

James R.
06-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I did a fly in, fly fishing trip in Alaska and the guide was relying on a 12ga and slugs to fend off any potential bear issues. We didn't end up seeing any, plenty of bald eagles though...ya'd think they were as common as pigeons up there ;-)

Regards,

James R.

jmlivingston
06-24-2006, 2:05 PM
Yeah, exactly what area outside of Bishop? I do know that there have been no reported bear sightings in the Bishop Creek drainage so far this year. (My dad is the area manager for American Land & Leisure who has the contract with the Forest Service for operating all those campgrounds. I just got my bear tag last week and was asking him to keep an eye out for me between now and the season opener.)

I was a teenager up there working at Whitney Portal Campground with my dad the first summer that black bear came up over the Sierra crest and into the campground areas of the Eastern Sierra along US395 in the Owens Valley. Must have been the summer of 1985 I guess.... The first bear returning to that area was a 1-2 year old cub that came into Whitney Portal. Two years or so later they were reported down in Grey's Meadow's outside of Independence, again my dad and I were managing those campgrounds when this one appeared. Both these bears were removed and then relocated to somewhere in Kennedy Meadows by the DFG. It was quite fun helping DFG and USFS set the live traps! :D And boy, do those bear know how to get pissed off when they get caught!!!

We used to chase those bears out of the campgrounds with a broomstick (really!!!) and lots of yelling. That was before they became accustomed to people, however. I left the area when I graduated HS (Big Pine, 1987)and went into the Army, but I frequently had calls with my dad where he'd tell me about getting chased by a bear. Once they've learned that you're all bark and no bite they don't run so easily.

If DFG sees you with a rifle, you might get questioned pretty hard. My dad carried a S&W .357 with him when he bear hunted in Alaska as a backup to his rifle (sporterized 1903a3 in 30-06). I would guess that or anything bigger would be more than adequate for the kind of situation you would find yourself in. Don't forget that you can carry concealed while fishing....

John

glen avon
06-24-2006, 4:49 PM
use good 170 grain ammo and you are good to go. lots of folks killed many thousands of bear before anybody knew the .30-30 wasn't big enough....

Tinman
06-24-2006, 6:35 PM
but one of the guys that I'm going with showed me some pictures and I just had to set up a trip.

Just so happens that I'm due for a new gun this month and have been wanting a Marlin 336, especially in stainless and since I don't hunt, I know that she will end up being a Safe Queen so I thought it would be the right time to justify it.

I do have a CCW here in CA and plan on carrying my G30 (biggest pistol cartridge I have) anyway but I don't think that a .45 would work as well as a good rifle cartridge although I'm sure it would be better than throwing rocks.

I do have a couple of 12 ga, an SU16 and a SKS still in cosmolene but it's better to say "Honey, there are bears out there and I need something that can insure I come back so I can keep working to support us, therefore I NEED this new rifle!" :D

Thanks Gregas for the bear tips! I'm going up with a couple of guys that are savvy in the ways of staying out of trouble with bears with regards to camping and I don't plan on deviating from proper etiquette.

I just plan on having a good time fishing, enjoying the great outdoors and getting away from work for a few days.

On that note, if anyone knows of someone getting rid of a Marlin 336 SS, I'm ready to buy used but am definitely picking one up in the next few weeks.

I checked Turners and Big5 today but didn't see any. I also went to Gallery of Guns and no stock either, any help?

~Paul

glen avon
06-24-2006, 6:42 PM
big 5 just had them on sale, walk in there, be polite, look confused, and ask for the sale price. the manager can do it and apparently they often will.

metalhead357
06-25-2006, 11:31 AM
There are no Grizzlys in CA, the last one was killed in 1929. .

And WHAT cartridge was responsible for taking most of the bears outta the lower 48??????? You guessed it- It was the 30-30..........:)

So will it work? HECK YES...

Are there "better" rounds....these days yes, but that still does not mean the 30-30 is anything less than the venerable all american classic cartridge that "won the west" and still has mosre critters on it than any other round in America:D

DrjonesUSA
06-26-2006, 9:14 AM
Some guy in Alaska killed a bear in his home with a 40cal Glock, I'm sure a 30-30 would work.

:rolleyes:

People have been killed with BB guns too...why don't you trade in your real firearms for a bunch of BB guns?

:rolleyes:

When it comes to bears, there is no such thing as "too big".

Sure a .30-30 could kill a bear, just like a .40 could...given excellent shot placement or just a metric ton of dumb luck.

Hunting bears is a WHOLE different game than fending off one that is defending its young or otherwise angry at you.

There's no such thing as "too much gun" when talking about fending off bears.

GJJ
06-26-2006, 9:49 AM
I think you stand more of a chance of being abducted by aliens than to have a life and death problem with a black bear.

If you want to worry about anything, worry about rattlesnakes and two legged predators.

(I hike and fish up there all the time)

zombieflanders
06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Man, I really wish I had the time to go fishing up in the Eastern Sierra's. I envy you. I would be more concerned about mountan lions than Bears. Their not nearly as prevelent as bears, but probably much more deadly if an encounter does take place. Good luck with the fishing, and report back on how it goes!!

glen avon
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Sure a .30-30 could kill a bear, just like a .40 could...given excellent shot placement or just a metric ton of dumb luck....

do you really, honestly, believe that a .30-30 is so inadequate for blackies? just what *did* everybody do before Lazzeroni invented the 25mm thermonucular death ray short mag?

how *did* people survive when they were so ridiculously undergunned?

why *did* those stupid bears die, when obviously, they should not have? maybe they didn't believe everything they read in G&A....

PanzerAce
06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
big 5 just had them on sale, walk in there, be polite, look confused, and ask for the sale price. the manager can do it and apparently they often will.

dang, they never want to do that for me, and when I go in and the stuff IS on sale, its already gone :mad:

DrjonesUSA
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
do you really, honestly, believe that a .30-30 is so inadequate for blackies? just what *did* everybody do before Lazzeroni invented the 25mm thermonucular death ray short mag?

how *did* people survive when they were so ridiculously undergunned?

why *did* those stupid bears die, when obviously, they should not have? maybe they didn't believe everything they read in G&A....

I'm not comparing the .30-30 to .22LR or something, I'm just saying that when you are looking at calibers to choose for self-defense against a bear, it wouldn't be on my list.

If it's all you got, it's better than nothing, but there are other calibers much more suited to the job.

And for all you know, lots of people DIDN'T survive when they were so undergunned. ;)