PDA

View Full Version : Comcast cable internet problems!! help!

cgseanp1
11-15-2010, 6:15 PM
So a few nights ago we had 2 computers and our Bluray player(netflix) running through the wireless router when the internet stopped working. Well, technically the internet was still working as it showed us connected, but the only webpage that would load was the "comcast activation page"... We've had comcast for a while but we tried to activate it again, but nothing happened.. just kept going back to the original activation page.

We called up Comcast and they said that we had overloaded the router and they did something to fix it.. Fast forward a few days later and the same thing happened, but this time I was the only one home online and the bluray player wasn't even turned on.. We called again tonight and they did something on their end to get it up and the advice they gave was for us to get a newer router..

My question is, I can understand an older router getting bogged down, but why would the internet just shut down and take us to the activation page? And normally when I would have a problem, I'd just disconnect the router and modem, but that does nothing to fix this current issue.

Any thoughts before we go out and buy a new router?:mad::mad:

Peter.Steele
11-15-2010, 6:42 PM
Comcast is full of crap.

Although your router may be old and worn out, the activation is through your cable modem, not the router. The modem doesn't care what's downstream of it.

Take one of your computers and plug it directly into the modem and see if you can go online that way. It should work - like I said, the modem doesn't care what's plugged into it. If it doesn't work, Comcast needs to pony up a new modem.

cgseanp1
11-15-2010, 6:45 PM
Comcast is full of crap.

Although your router may be old and worn out, the activation is through your cable modem, not the router. The modem doesn't care what's downstream of it.

Take one of your computers and plug it directly into the modem and see if you can go online that way. It should work - like I said, the modem doesn't care what's plugged into it. If it doesn't work, Comcast needs to pony up a new modem.

THanks.. anyone here have this problem happen to them?

Merc1138
11-15-2010, 7:24 PM
Haven't had anything specific like that happen, but 9 times outta 10 the problem with comcast is the modem and not the router. Mostly it's the cheap junky scientific atlanta or RCA brand models they normally provide that are total garbage(crappy components, bad soldering, overheating easily, etc). You can actually complain enough and get a better quality modem, they won't have them in the local office, the installers sometimes have them in their trucks. It used to be that the motorola 5100 series modems were the next step up, I don't know what they're currently using through.

den888
11-16-2010, 6:50 PM
+1 agreed, typical service provider BS. They always place blame on the equipment, but the problem always lies on their end !

Comcast is full of crap.

omenicious
11-17-2010, 9:44 AM
Just take the modem directly in to one of their customer service stores or directly to their office and tell them you need a new one. 95% of the people on the phones have no technical background.

BearArms
11-17-2010, 4:37 PM
I know someone who worked at Comcast and he doesn't know **** about computers. He couldn't even install iTunes on his laptop, I had to do it for him. He said all it is when you call them is they have a program that pretty much just tells them what to say and it walks them through a troubleshooting process. They're retarded.

Joe
11-18-2010, 2:08 AM
I had the same problem before. Unplugged router. Reset cable modem. Let cable modem reboot. Plugged router back in. Problem fixed. Worth a shot in my opinion.

thevic
11-18-2010, 2:35 AM
Try rebooting the modem and let the router reset for 60 seconds. This issue should never come up for the hell of it. This is most likely an issue with your account. Weird crap like this happens once in awhile and either an equipment swap fixes your HSI acc. From going back to the acrivation portal or the account needs to be rebuilt.

I was a field supervisor with Comcast 2 years back. You guys are right, most tech do not know jack about computers, phones, and TV. I hated my job because i was the only one that learned anything and worked 12-14 hours every day cleaning up other tech's mess' while they get to go home. And ontop of it Comcast likes to give tech guy 15 installs every single day and expect tech's to be on time. It was fun doing "pole" work though :) And all the dirty women customers.

WokMaster1
11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Try rebooting the modem and let the router reset for 60 seconds. This issue should never come up for the hell of it. This is most likely an issue with your account. Weird crap like this happens once in awhile and either an equipment swap fixes your HSI acc. From going back to the acrivation portal or the account needs to be rebuilt.

I was a field supervisor with Comcast 2 years back. You guys are right, most tech do not know jack about computers, phones, and TV. I hated my job because i was the only one that learned anything and worked 12-14 hours every day cleaning up other tech's mess' while they get to go home. And ontop of it Comcast likes to give tech guy 15 installs every single day and expect tech's to be on time. It was fun doing "pole" work though :) And all the dirty women customers.

Hello! where are all the dirty women customers?:D

DaveFJ80
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
When you reboot the Comcast modem and your router, I do these steps and it always works....

- first unplug the router
- then unplug the modem, wait 5-10 seconds, plug back in
- wait for modem to come back up (all lights on), then plug in router
- wait for router to come back up (all lights on), then go check your computer... ping an IP or open your web browser

And it's not just with Comcast either, as I'd had to do the same with Verizon DSL, TWC cable, Charter cable, and AT&T dsl. You want the modem to come up with a good signal first, then have your router connect to it.

Rob454
11-29-2010, 4:58 AM
Sounds to me more like a comcast modem problem than your router. Router is a router
Sometimes you want to reset the modem. When I had time warner i had that happen to me a few times. All I had to do is reset my modem.

smird
11-29-2010, 6:35 AM
Comcast has been having issues according to the article its in the east but who knows
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40410491/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

sindominator
11-30-2010, 12:07 AM
1-How old is your Comcast modem? Comcast has double even triple their speeds in some areas. For example their basic package starts @ 10megs download & 3 megs upload, for extra fee you can go 15megs download 4megs upload, for extra extra fee you can go 20megs download 5megs upload etc... So if your modem is rather old 3+years and you are on their fastest plan your modem might not handle the bandwith and causes spikes which will then cause you router to get stuck on stupid.

2- You might have wireless signals setup differently for all your devices. Your router could be setup for A, B, G, or N frequency/rates. Or a combination of 2 A+B, G+N etc... Possible scenario; Your Router is configured for A+B, and your Blue Ray possible setup for G or N or both. This could cause a conflic as well.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025321.htm

3 - Do you have firewall software install? Remember a router is type of firewall but in hardware. If you have a router and a firewall (Norton, McCafee etc...) Different settings on both ends could cause conflicts. Where one wants to do something and other the opposite.

4 - New neighbors? A comcast tech prob came out and swithced something around while setting up a new connection. 1 time had some problems because a tech ended up switching a distribution block to allow more connections to a new appt complex at the end of the block.

Zhukov
11-30-2010, 9:46 PM
I used to be a Comcast field tech. I'm a computer geek first, but I'm used to troubleshooting this stuff.

If you want any assistance, PM me and I might be able to give some pointers.

There are different ways to get stuff fixed, whether the modem is finally going bad and they have to repeatedly push the modem to work or if you have lower signal and a higher signal-to-noise ratio (you can check this on the modem)

Also, do you have a Modem or an eMTA? You would usually have an eMTA if you also have phone service through Comcast.

Anyways, again, feel free to PM me if you need any assistance and I'll see what I can do.

Wherryj
12-01-2010, 3:38 PM
I was having similar issues with Comcast. My internet connection would stop responding for about 30 minutes, once or twice a day.

Upgrading firmware on my router fixed the issue.

Comcast service is a bit worthless. We had our HD-DVR freeze up repeatedly after it had hit 30% storage on the HDD. I told them it was a firmware issue, but they insisted on replacing the box.

They did so when my wife was home, without unplugging my receiver, etc. I came home that night to a fried video board on my Sunfire Receiver.

I spoke to the regional training manager who was SHOCKED that I would suggest powering down devices that connect to the cable box. He asked me to fax him a page from my owner's manual that suggested doing so. I did that as well as faxing the page from COMCAST'S installation manual.

The good news is that they opted for paying for replacment of my reciever, even though I told them that it was still under warranty and MIGHT be considered abuse/might not. For the cost of shipping ($50) I had a working receiver and $5k in the bank...

mark2203
12-01-2010, 4:09 PM
I had a similar issue with comcast. They even went so far as to pull a new run from the box 2 houses down to my home because the cable loss was so bad but, in the interim, the darys left my service totally down for a week. Thank god for MiWi. Finally resolved it when I dumped Comcast.