PDA

View Full Version : DSL Extreme

eta34
11-15-2010, 4:15 PM
Anybody have service through these guys? I currently have Verizon DSL with MSN. Just curious what you guys thought. I have heard good reviews by Leo Laporte on KFI.

POLICESTATE
11-15-2010, 4:16 PM
I find that most products that have "extreme" in their names are anything but. Can't be any worse than my AT&T DSL with the whopping 2Mbit download.

bigmike82
11-15-2010, 5:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with my DSLExtreme. I've been with 'em for several years now...haven't had any real issues with 'em.

ke6guj
11-15-2010, 6:01 PM
DSLextreme is basically a reseller of DSL. If you live in an AT&T area and sign up through DSLextreme, you will get your internet access through AT&T lines, same if you are in a Verizon area.

AT&T/Version/etc will provide the actual connection back to the central office and DSLextreme will then provide the rest of the ISP services, such as email, DNS lookup, usenet access, etc.

mosinmike
11-15-2010, 6:26 PM
I've used Dsl Extreme for about 2 years now and have had no problem. As someone else said they resell the dsl service of whatever carrier you live in. The nice thing is you can get "dry" dsl service, so you have the dsl without having to pay for a landline. The funny thing is they charge less than Verizon, who is where I live, than Verizon would charge me for the same service.

five.five-six
11-15-2010, 6:28 PM
I can get U-verse for 50% off, I am back to DSLextreme after 3 weeks, have them for years other than my short interuption with U-verse

very happy with DSLextreme

eta34
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I've used Dsl Extreme for about 2 years now and have had no problem. As someone else said they resell the dsl service of whatever carrier you live in. The nice thing is you can get "dry" dsl service, so you have the dsl without having to pay for a landline. The funny thing is they charge less than Verizon, who is where I live, than Verizon would charge me for the same service.

Can you explain the "dry" dsl service thing more? I wouldn't need a home phone anymore?

den888
11-16-2010, 5:48 PM
My parents have DSLXtreme for several years and it has been trouble free and the price has been great.

den888
11-16-2010, 5:49 PM
It is called a "naked" DSL line. You have DSL service traveling over the wire pair, but no PSTN voice service.

Can you explain the "dry" dsl service thing more? I wouldn't need a home phone anymore?

tmncali
11-16-2010, 5:55 PM

Yeah, we (Verizon) have to offer the line to the resellers for less, to allow them to be able to fairly compete against us.....

Dry loop is a data (DSL) only connection, has no dialtone service.

Yes, it will be the same line you would get with Verizon or AT&T, we only cover it to the outside of the house, so if you have an inside issue, we can't come in to fix it.

G-forceJunkie
11-16-2010, 6:07 PM
Been very happy with them for years.

Jimmy Deuce
12-04-2010, 2:35 PM
I have DSL extrem good for the most part. As mentioned already they are a reseller so lines etc are from legit big carrriers. My only thing is I went for a month to month plan. They charge a few dollars when you go month to month. Not exactly cool but ok. The negative if you try to change your speed with out a contract(month to month customers) DSL extreme charges you more than a new customer getting the same speed even on a month to month basis with out contract. So there is my only gripe guess im going to stick with a slower speed.

sfwdiy
12-04-2010, 5:13 PM
I had them for quite a while and was pretty happy. Then I moved, and had to get the service transfered to my new place. Long story short, it was the biggest pain in the *** I've ever dealt with. It took three weeks to move service from one address to the next.

I'm currently with AT&T for DSL. I'm going to be switching to Roadrunner cable internet very shortly. DSL is way too slow for me.

--B

eta34
12-05-2010, 3:46 PM
Well, I have had them for over a week now. Fios is not yet available here and there are no cable providers, so I am stuck with DSL or dial-up. Very pleased so far. It is noticeably faster than my Verizon DSL...I really don't understand why. I even did the internet speed test and it was nearly three times faster.

Can any of you tech-savvy people explain this to me?

den888
12-05-2010, 4:05 PM
What's the indicated or advertised bandwidth from DSL Extreme for your service ?
What id Verizon advertise and what did they actually deliver ?

Well, I have had them for over a week now. Fios is not yet available here and there are no cable providers, so I am stuck with DSL or dial-up. Very pleased so far. It is noticeably faster than my Verizon DSL...I really don't understand why. I even did the internet speed test and it was nearly three times faster.

Can any of you tech-savvy people explain this to me?