PDA

View Full Version : VZ52/57 any one have one?

Haggar85
11-15-2010, 2:52 PM
i try to expand my collection when ever the Mrs. will allow it. i saw a Vz.52/57 for $325 the last time the gun show was in town. it was in pretty good shape but out side my price range.
i am leaning toward some type of Czech firearm for the next purchase as far as rifles go. thinking a Vz 52 might fit the bill.any pros or cons about them?

Steyr_223
11-15-2010, 5:12 PM
i try to expand my collection when ever the Mrs. will allow it. i saw a Vz.52/57 for $325 the last time the gun show was in town. it was in pretty good shape but out side my price range.
i am leaning toward some type of Czech firearm for the next purchase as far as rifles go. thinking a Vz 52 might fit the bill.any pros or cons about them?

I have a VZ52, nice rifle. Easy recoil and fairly accurate at 50 yrds...The ammo is 7.62x45 and not 7.62x39. No one makes that ammo anymore, so surplus ammo is the only choice..I traded emails with Sellier & Bellot about making modern ammo for the VZ52, their rep said the volume was just not there.

The rifle is easy to field strip and clean. Clean you must since the surplus ammo is very corrosive. I have had two VZ52, the first one had a corroded barrel. I thought, I would fix it but it was really bad. It also had the black crinkle finish on the stock that the monkeys at Century added to make it look tactical. Sold it. Later I found much better example in the correct wood stock with a perfect barrel.

Surplus ammo is out there, but the amount is finite.

The 7.62x45 to 7.62x39 conversion kits are junk.

read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._52_rifle

TRICKSTER
11-15-2010, 7:25 PM

Are you sure it was a 52/57 and not a 52? A 52/57 at that price is a steal.

scootergmc
11-15-2010, 7:39 PM
I have one....

But at that price it sounds like a conversion-kitted VZ52, or one with a shot out bore.

Haggar85
11-16-2010, 2:10 PM
I think this might have been a kit conversion or some thing wrong with it other wise. the arisaka he sold me was actually broken (but i fixed it.) his prices were dirt cheap. he has a finn used cav carcano for 200 also, but i know there is a kraut that makes SA and SAKO stamps for forgeries. he had a Portuguese Mauser for 195 and some other old relics of history all for what seemed reasonable prices. His k31 was 350 and had a beech stock. the guy was a really nice old man don't get me wrong.
i can not be for certain if it was a conversion or not. i am thinking was it was some ones project that they just sold off to him. the finish was parkerized and 100%. the stock showed its age but the metal looked very nice. if he rolls back through town again ill check it out if he still has it. i think ill pass on that one thought seems pretty suspicious. ill find one that has not been monkeyed with.

SandDiegoDuner
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I had one back probably 14-15 years ago. It had the black crinkle finish and was in pretty decent shape. I only owned it for about 6 months after the supplier of ammo local to me sold out I ended up selling it for a few bucks more than what I paid for it.

SVT-40
11-17-2010, 3:04 PM
Vz 52/57 nice collectible rifles. They are found in new condition down to just plain beat. If you collect semi-auto rifles you have to have one.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Czech%20rifles/VZ52-5701-001.jpg

knucklehead0202
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
if i'm not mistaken, a 52/57 IS a converted one in 7.62x39, and a straight 52 is x45. i know you can make your own brass to reload for it but i can't recall what the parent case is you use. i've been interested in these rifles for a long time, but they don't exactly pop up for sale very often. that's a very pretty one SVT, kudos!