PDA

View Full Version : jg hex 91/30

skscj
11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Anyone get a hex receiver laminate Mosin 91/30 from JG Sales. Im thinking about getting one would like to know what condition there in. Pics will be great also.Thanks

16in50calNavalRifle
11-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Funny, I was thinking about getting one today. Called J&G just to chat about their stuff and was told that all the laminated Mosins are counter-bored. Not a negative, actually a positive for those like me looking to use/shoot, not so much to "collect". They also said -which tracks with observations at Big 5 and elsewhere - that the laminated stocks are solid, newer, and generally in good condition.

From the reviews at their site and common sense, it seems that it's often "luck of the draw" on what you get. I looked over some laminated 91/30s that were on sale at Big 5 for $119 this past weekend, but hesitated, feeling there was no hurry. Neither was counter-bored, however, and the crowns looked decent (though I am not a seasoned judge of such things). Stocks were near-perfect. Just very faint/poor stamping (both 1942 Izzys, so crude metalwork is to be expected) and the desire to explore online options. If you have your C&R FFL, buying online from J&G or Century turns out to be just a bit cheaper than in-person at Big 5, when DROS and sales tax are added in.

ParrotHead
11-16-2010, 6:57 AM
I would check Classic Arms. They usually have some good ones and have matching numbers.

Toyman321
11-16-2010, 9:28 PM
I picked up a hex when I was out there last month, they brought up three before I settled on one to take home, so it's definitely the luck of the draw.

Divernhunter
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
If you have a C&R FFL you can buy at Big 5 and not pay the DROS but they will still hold it for 10 days.