PDA

View Full Version : worth trying to sell dead laptop parts?

cabinetguy
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
so my hp dv 6853 died this weekend. i had a issue with the fan for the past month or so, finally found a place to get a replacement, but then the hard drive failed. i ended up buying a new laptop, so im wondering if its worth it to sell its sans hard drive, or part it out. im hoping its worth a million dollars or so since it passed thru my golden hands, but what can i realistically expect to get?

Rob454
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Youll be lucky to get 100$ for it. i had a similar thing happen to my Vaio. i sold it for 100$. Sucked cause i jsut put a new motherboard in it for 300$ 8 months before and one day it simply did not turn back on. bad internal power supply. I pulled the harddrive and smashed it with a hammer and sold the lap top for parts for 100$.

maurice05
11-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Depending on the charger and battery if your willing to part with them and they fit my ze2000

Merc1138
11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
You might be able to get 150 or so parting it out, however it's not necessarily worth the trouble and time involved. Not only would you need to be able to completely disassemble the laptop without breaking anything, you'd need to post ebay auctions and constantly re-list them till it all sells(which means someone with a similar laptop is looking for a specific part, but that could take months).

JDay
11-15-2010, 2:32 PM
so my hp dv 6853 died this weekend. i had a issue with the fan for the past month or so, finally found a place to get a replacement, but then the hard drive failed. i ended up buying a new laptop, so im wondering if its worth it to sell its sans hard drive, or part it out. im hoping its worth a million dollars or so since it passed thru my golden hands, but what can i realistically expect to get?

Replace the fan and then sell it without the drive on eBay. You can get $200-$300 for it, just start the bidding low and watch it go up.

Youll be lucky to get 100$ for it. i had a similar thing happen to my Vaio. i sold it for 100$. Sucked cause i jsut put a new motherboard in it for 300$ 8 months before and one day it simply did not turn back on. bad internal power supply. I pulled the harddrive and smashed it with a hammer and sold the lap top for parts for 100$.

No wonder it had all kinds of problems... it was a Vaio! You also could have replaced that board for under $100 if you looked around the internet.

gravedigger
11-15-2010, 2:41 PM
There are those small, independent computer repair stores who will buy them for the parts. They all have (ahem) computer graveyards :D where they fish for things like screen hinges and drive bay doors for repairs. Call around and see what they'll offer you for it. A place in Carlsbad called "Laptops PLUS" has a huge laptop graveyard. They have done two repairs for me on laptops that "you can't get parts for that any longer" from the major repair centers.