PDA

View Full Version : Stuck .223 WOLF shell in Chamber, what to do?

marc4
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Got a case stuck in chamber of AR15. Got home and tried to push it out with a cleaning rod. It bent, then broke the cleaning rod and its still stuck in there. What do I do next other than trying it again with another cleaning rod.
Is there some kind of "claw" tool that could grab around the rim and pull it out?
Not sure if the bullet is out but the primer looks like it has a dimple on it. I was not the one firing the gun when it happened. Thanks for the help.

stphnman20
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
This is the main reason why I don't use Wolf ammo anymore. For me, a cleaning rod worked all the time. Maybe using a steel rod?

john323
11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Pull down on charge handle and strike the butt of the weapon on the ground keeping pressure on the charge handle.If this doesn't work give me a call @ 323-722-3903.

sevensix2x51
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Pull down on charge handle and strike the butt of the weapon on the ground keeping pressure on the charge handle.If this doesn't work give me a call @ 323-722-3903.

The extractor is likely hopping the rim. This has happened a few times to me.

Op- get a better rod! I've used the gi steel rod and a mosin rod, those have both worked for me.

john323
11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Sorry I didn't realize that the bolt did come out.I should have read the question completely.A brass rod the dia of the bore is your best bet and again if you are having a problem give me a call.

mydogsmonkey
11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
use wooden dowels that fit into the barrel, use a wooden hammer to get it out, simple, be careful not to damage anything, the wood shouldn't damage the bore, just make sure to clean it out in case wood pieces splinter

Bullwinkle
11-15-2010, 1:22 PM
Got a case stuck in chamber of AR15. Got home and tried to push it out with a cleaning rod. It bent, then broke the cleaning rod and its still stuck in there.

Please clarify... are you saying the cleaning rod is stuck in there also, or just the shell (and possibly bullet)?

VaderSpade
11-15-2010, 1:44 PM
what to do?

Stop shooting wolf, it's messed up every gun I've ever shot it in.

Patrick Aherne
11-15-2010, 2:36 PM
STOP! If you are not sure if the cartridge is fired, please stop and call a gunsmith. You can be severely injured or killed when trying to remove a live cartridge that is stuck in your chamber.

kendog4570
11-15-2010, 2:41 PM
STOP! If you are not sure if the cartridge is fired, please stop and call a gunsmith. You can be severely injured or killed when trying to remove a live cartridge that is stuck in your chamber.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Wise words. This isn't the project to learn on.

thomashoward
11-15-2010, 4:22 PM
I had a case come apart once, so I put a few squirts of liquid wrench down the barrel and waited a few minutes.A new bronze brush on the cleaning rod through the muzzle end swept the severed case right out

sevensix2x51
11-15-2010, 4:34 PM
its pretty easy to find out if the case is live or spent. just slide the rod in until it stops, and grab it at the tip of the barrel/fh. place it alongside the barrel to see how deep it goes. if it went to the back of the chamber, your case is empty. if it stops short by the length of a cartridge, then youve got a live round.

live rounds dont generally stick in chambers, and wolf is notorious for sticking after it has been fired. these factors would lead me to believe its spent, but safety first. know what youre dealing with, my grandpappy always used to say.

ZX-10R
11-15-2010, 4:39 PM
This why my AR only gets fed brass. The steel is for my mighty WASR / AK patterns.

If you have an AK cleaning rod, it might due the job due to it being solid compared to commercial cleaning rods.

4thSBCT
11-15-2010, 4:40 PM
use wooden dowels that fit into the barrel, use a wooden hammer to get it out, simple, be careful not to damage anything, the wood shouldn't damage the bore, just make sure to clean it out in case wood pieces splinter

this, never use a steel rod on the inside of your barrel......

VictorFranko
11-15-2010, 4:50 PM
I had 100 rounds of Wolf .223 lying around and decided to use it up.
First and only time I have had extraction problems.
Lesson learned.

Skipper
11-15-2010, 4:52 PM
Shoot a healthy dose of Kroil into the barrel, let it sit for about an hour and knock it out with a cleaning rod.

bohoki
11-15-2010, 5:17 PM
if the bolt isn't locked back you can whack it all day and its not going to move is the bolt is locked with the lugs

its odd that you cant beat it out if you can see the (head)

straykiller
11-15-2010, 5:18 PM
this happened recently to my msar and tula(same ammo), first time ive ever had a problem and couldn't get it out , luckily the barrel is a quick detach and i was able to pull it off and place the a*s end of the case in a vise and twist it out. anyways i would try the wood dowel idea sounds like it could work and shouldn't mess up your barrel

Dallasdowning
11-15-2010, 7:29 PM
Wow! Wish I would of seen this thread before buying 1k rounds of wolf this weekend at the Ventura Gun show.

Went to the range today, and out of about 300 rounds I had 3 get stuck in the chamber. All 3 came out with a brass cleaning rod, but I did manage to break the handle on the cleaning rod while hitting it against my bench in an attempt to remove the stuck casing.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this is the future? (other than not buying cheap ammo!) upgraded extractor?

bohoki
11-15-2010, 8:06 PM
i gotta ask are they getting suck in 20 inch barrels

cause i only use 20 inchers and have never had a prob

G-forceJunkie
11-15-2010, 8:47 PM
Better question is it a commercial unlined barrel with a tighter then mil spec chamber?!?

kendog4570
11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
live rounds dont generally stick in chambers...

Kinda on this topic...

Just yesterday I removed a live, stuck factory Federal Gold Medal .308 from a Rem 700 full blown "precision" rifle, with all the bells and whistles including a "custom" barrel. Funny thing is, after I cleared it, I checked the headspace and it closes on a field gage, with room to spare. The round gages OK in a cartridge headspace gage. I have no idea yet what the person building the gun did, but the headspace dimension is excessive and the counterbore is too tight to the bolt nose. Most of the time stuck live rounds come from trying to cram the wrong ammo into the chamber. 30-06 round into a 270 chamber, for example. Or improperly sized handloads.
This one's a head-scratcher.