PDA

View Full Version : DUDE! I Got a Dell. Then I Sent it Back.

Exile Machine
11-15-2010, 7:24 AM
This old Sony Vaio laptop started failing. Normally I'd patch it back together but Sony values their replacement parts and batteries more than gold or diamonds.

So my wife has a Dell inspiron, works great, easy and cheap to maintain, so I thought I'd get a Dell too. I'm running a small business now, so decided on their Vostro 3700 product for small business.

The Vostro was great. I especially liked the backlighted keyboard. Lots of ports and the thing was surprisingly lightweight especially for a 17" screen. But I sent it back and I'll tell you why. They designed the keyboard deck with these rubber bumpers on it. I could only stand about ten minutes of typing with that sharp hard rubber bumper jabbing into my wrist. So I sent it back and I let them know why. I also told them when they redesign the computer with the bumpers on the screen like everyone else does, I'd buy it.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1843/dellvostro3700rdccorei3.jpg
Seriously, WTF were they thinking with this?

Meantime I found 17" Dell Inspiron with a nice smooth keyboard deck. Still waiting on that to arrive.

-Mark

ChrisTKHarris
11-15-2010, 7:27 AM
Dell and Sony suck

/thread

JDay
11-15-2010, 3:43 PM
If you want a good notebook computer look at the ThinkPad T510 series. There are some really good deals on new and refurbished (factory returned to new condition) ones on eBay, much below retail ($600-$1000+ will get you a nice one with many of the options). These notebooks are some of the best on the market.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T510-i5-520M-2-93GHz-4GB-250G-Mouse-/270651082803?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3f040fc833

Exile Machine
11-15-2010, 4:30 PM
Well the Thinkpad is my first choice. I love the little keyboard nub pointer instead of the trackpad, and they are built like tanks. However I won't ever buy another refurbished computer. This Sony Vaio is a refurb, and I'm convinced it's why it has started acting up lately. I guess I can't complain too much, it was a $1200 MSRP unit I got for $600 direct from the Sony employee store.

I just can't believe that the "rubber bumper on the keyboard deck" design got through any kind of engineering design review / usability study. It's immediately obvious when you put your hands there that your wrist rests directly on the bumper. Then again Dell is based in Austin, land of hippies. Probably the design team had the Michoacan special at Smokin J's Barbeque and then got down to the tricky work of rubber bumper placement.