PDA

View Full Version : M-1 Carbine

Captain Cogle
11-14-2010, 11:49 PM
My wife is looking at buying me an M-1 from Big-5 when they go on sale come Black Friday.

Wanted to hear what you guys thought of them? I havent had the opportunity to look at them myself. This is a new area for me and I dont know much about these weapons. Other than I want one.

What year do they date from? Are they identical in appearance to WW2 production M-1 Cabrines? How reasonable is 635$ for a price?

Appreciate the advice in advance.

metalliman545
11-15-2010, 12:45 AM
im sure you can find a better conditioned one for the sameprice somewhere else. ive seen pics and saw one about 2 years back, they were in horrid condition. considering the cmp would sell carbines of big 5 quality for like 400, idk, but the cmp is sold out for now.

packnrat
11-15-2010, 1:13 AM
for the same price as big 5 you can get a far better one else were.:eek:

.:TFH:

Gatekeeper
11-15-2010, 3:02 AM
Don't do it,
look elsewhere.

You can thank me later

Markus
11-15-2010, 4:27 AM
Anywhere is cheaper. You could find a really nice conditioned cash and carry model for what those guys are asking.

metalliman545
11-15-2010, 5:20 AM
as convienient as big 5 is, its not always the best deal

caldude
11-15-2010, 7:13 AM
Watch the For Sale forum here. You'll find much better M1 Carbines for better prices than Big 5.

Captain Cogle
11-15-2010, 7:37 AM
I have found the sale forum to be most unhelpful as most folks wont ship or are WAY to far away for any sort of face to face meeting. I have pretty much stopped looking there completely. Hell Sacramento is too far away for me most of the time.

davfink
11-15-2010, 8:07 AM
I checked 3 big 5's this weekend, one said they sent it back due to condition, the other 2 had actually good looking carbines there, i would say service grade in comparison to the cmp. THe barrel, metal, finish were all in very good shape, including muzzle. The stocks were walnut(1 was a winchester) with the matching serial stamped in it. a QHMC, and a Saginaw. due to their condition, at the 635 price, they would not be significantly over priced, maybe 25-50 overpriced, which really isnt much at all.

FYI, i have a couple for sale, and am willing to ship. i also have 2 more that i need to list for sale soon

-hanko
11-15-2010, 8:29 AM
My wife is looking at buying me an M-1 from Big-5 when they go on sale come Black Friday.

Wanted to hear what you guys thought of them? I havent had the opportunity to look at them myself. This is a new area for me and I dont know much about these weapons. Other than I want one.

What year do they date from? Are they identical in appearance to WW2 production M-1 Cabrines? How reasonable is 635$ for a price?

Appreciate the advice in advance.
Big-5 M-1 Carbine = Run Like Hell ;)

-hanko

Captain Cogle
11-15-2010, 2:13 PM
Anywhere is cheaper. You could find a really nice conditioned cash and carry model for what those guys are asking.

Really? Thats not what I am seeing.
The one I saw did look rather pitiful in its condition.

But the prices I see such as on Auto Ord. is way out of our price range. Its a price I have a hard time understanding for that matter. For me 635$ is a big difference from 800$ and up.

Milsurp Collector
11-15-2010, 4:02 PM
I wouldn't get a commercial carbine like an Auto Ordnance, Universal, etc. or a Big 5 import if it is worn out. I think something like this is a better deal if you can get it around the opening bid price:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w2h7jt.jpg

This is a very nice WWII USGI MI IBM M1 Carbine. Correct IBM barrel with nice crown. No import marks, this a CMP service grade carbine purchased by me though CMP when they were available. It has an original WW2 IBM "SCB" marked stock and "SCB" marked handgaurd.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200872224

The fact that it is a CMP Service Grade with no import marks and the correct IBM wood on it is a real plus. Even if you don't get that one there are others like it. You just have to shop around.

M1 Carbines are one of my favorite guns, both from a shooting aspect and from a collector aspect. With the right ammo they even make good home defense weapons (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_47/ai_74033105/).

http://i52.tinypic.com/flizrn.jpg

campperrykid
11-15-2010, 4:16 PM
Unless you luck out and find the diamond in the manure pile , the BIG-5 price is much too high. I am betting that the M1 Carbine market is at or near it's peak .
Rather like the IHC Garand market right before the "LEO loophole " opened up for a year or so . According to Bob Seijas in the current issue of "Man at Arms ":
" Prices for IHC's dropped from $500 to $300 and stayed there for several years ." ( page 22 )

Captain Cogle
11-15-2010, 4:17 PM
Big-5 M-1 Carbine = Run Like Hell ;)

-hanko

I see lots of this but absolutely no explanation as to why.

Im not going to run like hell with out a reason.

Yeah, with the feedback here I wont be getting one from Big5 now. But that doesn't mean I don't want to know you're reasoning?

Is it just crappy condition? My wife knows to inspect a gun before she buys.

ledman
11-15-2010, 4:28 PM
They always pop up in the Marketplace for way less. Be patient and you will find a good one with extras most likely for way less money. I am not saying the Big5 Carbines are not good, just a little pricey.

Captain Cogle
11-15-2010, 5:03 PM
Im not in any sort of hurry about this guys. It was just an idea my wife had for a gift for Christmas. If she doesnt find one for a good price before Christmas neither of us are dead set on having one ASAP. Im always content with what ever she picks up. She knows what I like.

campperrykid
11-15-2010, 5:30 PM
Could be that some very nice Carbines will be available at excellent prices for Christmas 2011 .
Rather like the way that stupid high prices for EBR's gave way to a buyers' market when the Great Panic finally faded away.
Google:
" ATF : Surplus Korean firearms imports ' pose a threat to public safety...

The gungrabers are deeply concerned about the huge numbers driving down prices.

bballwizard05
11-15-2010, 5:36 PM
I GUARANTEE you can get a better price on a better condtioned one right here on this website. :) In fact I know of at least one for sale right now.

Cato
11-15-2010, 8:11 PM
At Big 5, you'll get a crappy gun at an expensive price. Look online on some sites like Gunbroker and have it shipped to a local gun shop. I don't know where you are, but I'm sure there's a good gunstore with quality carbines in stock, too.

Big 5 is the last place you want to buy a gun.

Cato
11-15-2010, 8:14 PM
I wouldn't get a commercial carbine like an Auto Ordnance, Universal, etc. or a Big 5 import if it is worn out. I think something like this is a better deal if you can get it around the opening bid price:

The fact that it is a CMP Service Grade with no import marks and the correct IBM wood on it is a real plus. Even if you don't get that one there are others like it. You just have to shop around.

M1 Carbines are one of my favorite guns, both from a shooting aspect and from a collector aspect. With the right ammo they even make good home defense weapons (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_47/ai_74033105/).

http://i52.tinypic.com/flizrn.jpg

Wow, you really know how to refinish your stocks. A lot of guys either make their stocks too shiny with polyurithane (or many coats of tung oil) or leave them untouched. I like 'em clean and matte like yours. Good job!

BTW, what free state did you get to?

Captain Cogle
11-15-2010, 8:40 PM
At Big 5, you'll get a crappy gun at an expensive price. Look online on some sites like Gunbroker and have it shipped to a local gun shop. I don't know where you are, but I'm sure there's a good gunstore with quality carbines in stock, too.

Big 5 is the last place you want to buy a gun.

I agree about the crappy gun part.

The price? I have yet to find one under 675$ but, once again, I probably am not looking hard enough. I wont be paying more than 700$ max, when I get one eventually. I haven't even tried the auction sites yet.

Nope. No gun shops have em in stock here.

I list where I am located. The State of Jefferson.
www.stateofjefferson.com
www.jeffersonstate.com

But I cant wait to move out of this state out to Virginia.

KaTooM
11-15-2010, 8:48 PM
I bought my IBM 1943 M1 Carbine from a reply to a WTB add I placed on this board...Cash and carry baby!

Beware they are somewhat expensive to feed...

It would not hurt to go to Big 5 and see what they have...Winchesters seem to fetch the most money.

Cali-Shooter
11-15-2010, 8:58 PM
I bought my IBM 1943 M1 Carbine from a reply to a WTB add I placed on this board...Cash and carry baby!

It would not hurt to go to Big 5 and see what they have...Winchesters seem to fetch the most money.

Big Amen to that. That's the main reason my War Baby (Inland '43 with M2 Stock) is grounded during range trips. My online source for ammo for these things charges the same for Factory .30 Carbine FMJ's as the SP ammo (good for SD/HD/Hunting). At $.40 a shot, it's not a cheap shooter by any means!

Milsurp Collector
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Wow, you really know how to refinish your stocks. A lot of guys either make their stocks too shiny with polyurithane (or many coats of tung oil) or leave them untouched. I like 'em clean and matte like yours. Good job!

Thanks. The wood on the one on the far left was sanded by a previous owner so it looks a little smoother/shinier. The second from the left is a Bavarian Carbine so the wood has whatever finish the Germans or Austrians used. The others have 100% pure tung oil and/or raw linseed oil.

BTW, what free state did you get to?

The home of the college football team ranked #1 in the country. :clap:

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/9046910-standard.jpghttp://i52.tinypic.com/iqvipl.jpg

Big Amen to that. That's the main reason my War Baby (Inland '43 with M2 Stock) is grounded during range trips. My online source for ammo for these things charges the same for Factory .30 Carbine FMJ's as the SP ammo (good for SD/HD/Hunting). At $.40 a shot, it's not a cheap shooter by any means!

Reload!

http://i47.tinypic.com/15cgih2.jpg

NaughtyMonkey
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I got an M1 Garand from Big 5 last year. Huge Mistake. This was before I new about the CMP. Take a look at some of the pictures.

http://www.2ndidmanchus.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=520&start=25

Absolutely horrid. I fixed it up, and I ordered Two CMP Garands for almost the same price I got it from Big 5 and they were in so much better condition!

But the main decision is up to you. You can get one from the CMP auction site, but they get pricey. I have another Carbine on its way. All matching Winchester. :)