PDA

View Full Version : What is a Benelli "Practical" shotgun?

Jicko
06-23-2006, 5:44 PM
I couldn't seems to find what it is from Benelli's website....

And how much should I pay for one? Someone is offering to sell me an used one...

Rawny
06-24-2006, 6:22 AM
The (im)Practical comes with a 26" comp. barrel, straight stock, extended controls, ghost ring sights, and a nine round tube.

It cost about $300 more than the Tactical models.

Jicko
06-24-2006, 7:05 AM
How much should I pay for a used one?

And.... is it easy to get another barrel for it? Like an 18"? How much will that be?

Last but not least, is it an M1 or an M2???

Rawny
06-24-2006, 7:31 AM
Check the used prices of M1 Tacticals as a guide, then make an offer depending on its shape.

Numrich sells spare barrels, among other places. About $400.

The specs I listed was for an M2, but should be similar with the M1.

Jicko
06-24-2006, 2:02 PM
What's a good place to check "used prices"? The weapon that I was offered is close to "like new"... it is like at least 80% new....

gose
06-24-2006, 3:36 PM
I couldn't seems to find what it is from Benelli's website....

And how much should I pay for one? Someone is offering to sell me an used one...

If you dont want it, I'll take it :)

jessegpresley
06-25-2006, 9:32 AM
What's a good place to check "used prices"? The weapon that I was offered is close to "like new"... it is like at least 80% new....

Have you checked current and completed auctions on Gunbroker? 80% new doesn't really sound "like new" to me, but I'm sure you're a big boy and can determine what a good used price for a gun is without too much more hand holding.

I googled "benelli practical" and found website discussions, prices and features in about 2 seconds.

Jicko
06-25-2006, 9:29 PM
How to find used price? I really have no idea....

Also, I never had a shotgun before, so I really don't know what to look for...

jessegpresley
06-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Here's the secret. First, find out retail of the gun, and then more importantly what they actually sell for. Call local gun shops, check out gunbroker.com, auction arms, etc.

They check out the for sale sections of the various online gun forums. See what used ones are selling for. Compare the price you've been offered against these prices. If you can't find used prices, just use your brain and decide whether the price you've been offered is worth it to get a used gun, when for $XX more you could get a new one. A shotgun is no different from any other firearm interms of price, value, discount and condition.

I'm to assume a Practical shotgun are for practical competition. Do you plan on competing in 3 gun? You say you don't know what to look for; perhaps you could tell us what you wish to do with your shotgun.

xenophobe
06-26-2006, 2:05 AM
Price for a used M1 Practical runs about $850-900 in mint condition. Possibly more with a lot of extras.

monkey
07-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I would pass on the Practical. The running joke in USPSA 3-Gun is the idiocy with which the Practical model was set-up. 3-Gun competition shotguns are either Open or Limited, but the Practical was designed for an in-between category that does not exist. Because of the muzzle brake, it is good for Open, but not for Limited (MBs are not legal in this category). But it has a 9-round tube, which is the max for Limited, but 4 rounds short of the max for Open. Neither this nor that. Not legal for Limited use, but not competitive for Open use. Benelli didn't consult the rule book when they put that together.

You can build up a standard M1 to a Practical-type gun for less money that the Practical model.

Fatcat
07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Look for an M-1 Field with a 21 inch barrel (good luck!). Most of the used Benelli M-1's were wing shooters or upland bird guns with the long barrels. If you can't find a 21" barrel, most 3-gun competitors would have the longer barrels shorted (Briley?) and have them threaded for chokes. With that "Practical" model, you STILL would have to thread it for chokes. That silly comp on the end doesn't really fit the bill.

allenst65
07-29-2006, 5:35 PM
Because of the muzzle brake, it is good for Open, but not for Limited (MBs are not legal in this category). But it has a 9-round tube, which is the max for Limited, but 4 rounds short of the max for Open. Neither this nor that. Not legal for Limited use, but not competitive for Open use.

With that "Practical" model, you STILL would have to thread it for chokes. That silly comp on the end doesn't really fit the bill.

The M1 Practical barrel is threaded for standard Benelli chokes. In either case, simply unscrew the brake and remove the extended choke that is used specifically for attaching the brake. You can then install any Benelli choke you wish. No gunsmithing required and legal for limited.