PDA

View Full Version : Easy Way To Check If A Person Is Eligible To Purchase Firearms?

m1aowner
06-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Trying to find out if an older coworker of mine can buy. He is 63 I think, and a Vietnam Vet. He's wants to buy a handgun, but is not sure if he can possess one. He told me a couple of years after being back from Vietnam he tried to buy a gun from Traders, and was ineligible to buy after the background check. Mind you, this was 30 plus years ago. He said he spent some confinement time on Treasure Island after getting back. I'm assuming for post traumatic stress disorder or something. It sounds like he was under a mental evaluation. Somehow this made him unable to buy at that time. Anybody heard of something like this? I already know about the PESONAL FIREARMS ELIGIBILITY CHECK APPLICATION form from the DOJ. Just wanted to know if there was an eaiser/faster way to get an answer.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

bonjing
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
look on the doj website i think this is the right form:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/pfecapp.pdf

or

i think this is the right one. you do have to pay though.

m1aowner
06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks, but I already said I know about this.;)

look on the doj website i think this is the right form:

or

i think this is the right one. you do have to pay though.

bonjing
06-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks, but I already said I know about this.;)

sorry i'm STUPID. been a long hot freakin day and night 8 more hours to go. love sick co workers. but that may be the only route, unless he just goes out and try to buy the firearm and waits to see what happens.

m1aowner
06-22-2006, 11:07 PM
He has an honorable discharge. I know he needs an HSC. Looks like the form might be the less costly route. Restocking fees are steep.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-23-2006, 12:02 AM
He told me a couple of years after being back from Vietnam he tried to buy a gun from Traders, and was ineligible to buy after the background check. Mind you, this was 30 plus years ago.

I'm curious, did California have any kind of background check for firearms purchases way back then? I didn't think they did, but don't know for sure. If there wasn't a background check then it seems like he would have to have been denied for a reason that he gave the FFL on the 4473.

mikehaas
06-23-2006, 6:47 AM
Trying to find out if an older coworker of mine can buy
In CA (only) you can now do a "background check pre-check" thanks to NRA - no gun purchase necessary.

In 2003, NRA passed SB 255 (Ducheny-D), a Landmark "First in the Nation" Background Check Law - (Signed by Governor Gray Davis!). The provisions of SB255 allow persons to request a State and Federal background check to determine their legal status for purchasing firearms without risking the violation of State and Federal laws in the process (no gun purchase involved). Senate Bill 255 was long overdue (mostly because of old forgotten domestic situations popping up as more state computers become connected) and allows a person to comply with State and Federal laws without becoming a victim of inaccurate government records or bureaucracy.

It costs $20, but that is applicable to a later gun purchase within a certain period of time.

Mike

Kruzr
06-23-2006, 9:30 AM
In 2003, NRA passed SB 255 (Ducheny-D), a Landmark "First in the Nation" Background Check Law - (Signed by Governor Gray Davis!).
WOW, I didn't even know the NRA could make California Law! In fact, I barely knew they had a presence in Sacramento.

artherd
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
WOW, I didn't even know the NRA could make California Law! In fact, I barely knew they had a presence in Sacramento.
Actually I belive CA is the only state in which NRA has full time lobbiests in the Capital. NRA spends more money in CA than in any other state in the union.

This is exactly what you want, you may now find out if you can posess a handgun WITHOUT incriminating yourself and comiting a crime of trying to purchase one:

Saving $20 should not even enter into the mind when considering the comission of a felony.

JPN6336
06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
He has an honorable discharge. I know he needs an HSC. Looks like the form might be the less costly route. Restocking fees are steep.

With a DD-214 he doesn't need an HSC

m1aowner
06-23-2006, 2:30 PM
With a DD-214 he doesn't need an HSC

A DD-214 will work if your Honorably Retired Military. These are the exemptions from an HSC.

What are the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) requirement exemption codes?

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

bonjing
06-23-2006, 3:33 PM
regardless of HSC or exemptions for it, the HSC allows you to buy a handgun in california, but the back ground check allows you to own the handgun.

your friend may be able to get an HSC or by pass it through exemptions but the background check can say that your still not eligable.

mikehaas
06-28-2006, 4:45 AM
Happy to assist with your education. Yep, an office even.

BTW, it's not really necessary to let everyone else know that you've learned something new, but it is nice to see that you're excited about it.

Mike

chris
06-28-2006, 5:01 AM
A DD-214 will work if your Honorably Retired Military. These are the exemptions from an HSC.

What are the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) requirement exemption codes?

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

sine i will fall under the X22 code where does this code come from? how does the clerk at the store know about it? or should he be educated in a proper manner. i never heard of this. i only knew about losing an exemption for hunters and honorably dishcharged military. also it hit the reserves and national guard folks who are still in. they need to exempt all the vet returning from Iraq and Afganistan. we have been around weapons 24hrs a day and had more responsibility than the average police officer. and dealt with more S%^t than required.