PDA

View Full Version : Any Red Orchestra players?

pullnshoot25
11-13-2010, 1:28 PM
Are there any Red Orchestra players here? I just got the game and now I want to see if there is any interest in starting an informal Calguns team.

Peter.Steele
11-14-2010, 3:09 PM
I've had it since it hit retail, back in 2006. Haven't played it in a while, though.

Great game. I know there's a few other people here that I recognize from the Tripwire Interactive forums.

jonni
11-14-2010, 3:35 PM
I play from time to time...

Rem222
11-14-2010, 3:36 PM
I picked up a copy (NIB) but I've had no luck installing it. I keep getting a message saying my game key is invalid. Maybe after a call to customer support I will be...

Peter.Steele
11-14-2010, 3:56 PM
I picked up a copy (NIB) but I've had no luck installing it. I keep getting a message saying my game key is invalid. Maybe after a call to customer support I will be...

Go to the forums at www.tripwireinteractive.com and register. Either post there, or send a PM to Yoshiro (the company PR guy) or Wilsonam (VP of Tripwire). Either of them will be able to help you. Yoshiro is probably the best one to get this resolved.

Another thing to try: instead of installing it from the disk, download and install Steam, then enter the game key in Steam. It should recognize it at that point and add the game to your library, and let you install over the net.

laika
11-14-2010, 6:06 PM
I am about to buy the game for something like $5. I have a VISTA LAPTOP and wonder how I can play the game. What are the requirements if I throw together a quick gaming comp? I used to be a FPS computer gamer but now I have my 360 and my laptop. I think this game might be worth throwing a little work into an old xp gaming computer if I don't have to go crazy into memory or vid card or something.

Brianguy
11-14-2010, 6:26 PM
Is the full title Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45? I have it on steam but haven't really played it much. I suppose I can play with you guys.

Rem222
11-14-2010, 7:02 PM
Thanks Peter.Steele !!!!

I will give it a try....

UPDATE..

Thanks to Peter's instructions I was successful... The man is a genius..

Peter.Steele
11-14-2010, 8:14 PM
I am about to buy the game for something like $5. I have a VISTA LAPTOP and wonder how I can play the game. What are the requirements if I throw together a quick gaming comp? I used to be a FPS computer gamer but now I have my 360 and my laptop. I think this game might be worth throwing a little work into an old xp gaming computer if I don't have to go crazy into memory or vid card or something.

The requirements are not that bad, really. The game's from 2006. I used to play it no problem on an Athlon 64 3000+ and a 7600 GT.

Is the full title Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45? I have it on steam but haven't really played it much. I suppose I can play with you guys.

Yep, that's the one.

This game is NOT your average Call of Duty.

This game has no crosshairs. You gotta use your iron sights.

You don't have any ammo counters for your guns. You gotta count your rounds.

When you reload a gun, you can tell if the magazine is light or heavy, and that's it.

There are no health packs. You get shot, and chance are pretty good that you're going to die. You're not going to empty a full magazine into someone and not kill him, assuming you hit, anyway.

There is no hitscan. Each weapon has full ballistics. At 200, 300 yards, you'd better be aiming high.

It's a great game. I can't wait for the second one to come out.

Durasteel
11-14-2010, 8:30 PM
I love RO:OST. Nothing better than crawling in the mud for 15 minutes just to get a kill with a Mosin Nagant. Also, the health system is a bit wacky. Although I've died to a single bullet many times. There were also numerous times all of my limbs had taken at least one bullet, and I was limping and dropping my rifle everywhere.

I've been playing Bad Company 2 lately, but if anyone is interested in starting a Calguns group, I'll definitely get back in the game.

C.W.M.V.
11-14-2010, 8:43 PM
Id try it out but if steam is involved screw it, I'll stick to IL2.

Peter.Steele
11-14-2010, 9:44 PM

Steam ain't what it used to be, man. It doesn't suck anymore.

C.W.M.V.
11-14-2010, 9:52 PM
Steam ain't what it used to be, man. It doesn't suck anymore.

Unless its improved in the last few months. My first interaction with it was with Warhammer 40,000 DoW2. a few months ago. I was enraged when I had to download a service to download my game. BS! Then on top of it the game sucked! :mad:
I see no reason to use that BS service. F' em.

Peter.Steele
11-15-2010, 9:04 AM
Unless its improved in the last few months. My first interaction with it was with Warhammer 40,000 DoW2. a few months ago. I was enraged when I had to download a service to download my game. BS! Then on top of it the game sucked! :mad:
I see no reason to use that BS service. F' em.

Okay, what exactly are your complaints about Steam?

It sounds like your biggest complaint is that the game you purchased sucked. Do more research when you buy games. Valve (the owners of Steam) didn't make DOW2. They simply offer it for sale.

Your other complaint - that you need a service to download the game - doesn't really hold much water either. You could have purchased a retail boxed copy of DOW2 if you really wanted to. It ain't that hard - Amazon has it in stock.

The advantages of Steam are actually pretty good.

First off, it provides a way for smaller developers to get their product to a very broad market. A game like, for instance, Red Orchestra would not have ever made it to market if they had gone with solely a brick and mortar sales method. It's a niche product at best, and your average thirteen year old isn't going to want to play it. With Steam, they have a much more profitable method of advertising, sales and distribution, and it has done very well for them.

Second, and really following from the first point, there's a lot of games there that are difficult to find in other places now. IL2 is a great for instance - I bought the complete set of IL2 and all its add-ons last year at Christmas. I could never have found that at the store in 2009, and certainly not for the price.

Third, I don't have to care about whether or not I lose my discs or my user key. They are permanently tied to my Steam account. When I upgrade my computer, I don't have to shuffle eight thousand different discs - I just install Steam and -bam-, my games are installing.

Fourth, my games are always updated. No patching is ever required, because Steam handles it for me, in the background. It's always the most up to date version.

Fifth, many games use the Steam Cloud for storage of save data. If I'm using my account on a different computer, on some of the games I'll be able to continue to play from wherever I left off. On some of those games, if I'm playing at home on a PC, this will even hold true if I'm using the Mac version of the game somewhere else. This is a relatively new feature, though, not available on all the games.

Sixth, Valve Anti Cheat. A lot of people complain about it, but it does work, and quite well.

Seventh, Steam provides developers that want to use it with a lot of pre-made code blocks to handle things like network interaction. This makes it a lot easier to make multiplayer online games that work well.

Eighth, the community. You can see which of your friends are online, what game they're playing, what server they're playing on. I can look at my friends list and with just a couple clicks, start the game and join the server that they're on if I want to.

We could go on all day long with the things that make Steam good and useful. It really is a great tool. It also tends to make me spend more money than I'd really otherwise like, because games that I want are right there, with virtually instant access and availability. At last count I've got something like 30-40 games on Steam.

Anyone wants to add me as a friend on Steam, my name on there is Peter.Steele, just like here.

Flogger23m
11-15-2010, 9:34 AM
I like the game. I play it often but have not had time as of late.

So much better than CoD/most other games. It made me impulse buy a few Mosins.

I've had it since it hit retail, back in 2006. Haven't played it in a while, though.

Great game. I know there's a few other people here that I recognize from the Tripwire Interactive forums.

Checking in.

I love RO:OST. Nothing better than crawling in the mud for 15 minutes just to get a kill with a Mosin Nagant. Also, the health system is a bit wacky. Although I've died to a single bullet many times. There were also numerous times all of my limbs had taken at least one bullet, and I was limping and dropping my rifle everywhere.

You're probably being shot with 9x19 or 7.62x25 in the legs and arms.

Aim for the chest area, and a rifle drops a player in one shot every time for me.

I like Steam. The install updates are always quick and easy. It doesn't use a lot of resources, there are no activations, and you can download it on any PC.

I have IL-2 1946 on Steam to. No issues with Steam, but the game itself runs pretty poorly. :(

But when it goes for $5 on sale (probably will during the holiday season), you can't go wrong.

Peter.Steele
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Checking in.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/images/smilies/is2.gifhttp://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/images/smilies/is2.gifhttp://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/images/smilies/is2.gifhttp://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/images/smilies/is2.gifhttp://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/images/smilies/is2.gif

Should the holy faith be spread here as well, brother?

Nick1236
11-16-2010, 9:12 AM
Might download it tonight. How much does the game cost if purchased over steam?

Flogger23m
11-16-2010, 9:23 AM
Might download it tonight. How much does the game cost if purchased over steam?

Pretty sure it is $10.

Nick1236
11-16-2010, 10:01 AM
^ 999 posts, make the next one count.

pullnshoot25
12-02-2010, 7:34 PM
I forgot to mention that I hang out in the TaT Danzig Hellhole, TaT Classic maps and the No Cowards servers a lot (the more human populated servers). My handle on there starts with Willy. ;)

laika
12-29-2010, 8:20 PM
Dumb me, I bought the game for XP - I'll see you in those servers if I can get together a quick XP running system together this weekend. I don't want to use my primary (Vista) machine for this - I have a few old comps in the garage.

Thanks for bringing RO=Ostfront to my attention, it looks great from the Youtube flicks of it.

jarhead995
12-29-2010, 9:11 PM
I played the free weekends on steam. Beast game, waiting for number 2 then I'm gonna buy it.

Edit: 900th post.

CmpsdNoMore
12-30-2010, 3:11 PM
I used to play this A LOT when it first came out. Then my gaming desktop got out dated for newer games coming out and finally broke enough that it wasn't worth fixing it.

RO:OST is my favorite realistic FPS/war game I've ever played.

doughboy334
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Used to play but have much more fun playing their zombie offering, Killing Floor.

pullnshoot25
01-03-2011, 3:33 PM
So... for those that play, what servers do you frequent?