PDA

View Full Version : New Ar build, bolt gets stuck stripping round

Falstaff
11-12-2010, 8:10 PM
Just put together a JSE Surplus 16" carbine upper on an Aero lower with magpul MOE furniture. Problem is, with a GI 10/30 mag the bolt is catching a rd. but stopping at the halfway point on the magazine. I have the heavy buffer. Also I noticed that the magazine is difficult to insert, it's hanging up on the mag catch well before mag is fully inserted. I loosened the BB but still hanging up on insertion. Never had a problem like this in dozens of builds, any ideas?

I am using an "accuwedge" and the rubber receiver "rug" could those be causing a problem with bolt alignment in receiver???

sevensix2x51
11-12-2010, 8:22 PM
if it were my rifle, i would probably try a few different magazines, remove the accuwedge and rug, and finally swap upper/lowers on two rifles, and see which one the problems move to. you do have another ar15? at least nail it down to upper or lower half.. is any wear showing up on the feed lips, like the carrier is making contact?

AlliedArmory
11-12-2010, 8:25 PM
if it were my rifle, i would probably try a few different magazines, remove the accuwedge and rug, and finally swap upper/lowers on two rifles, and see which one the problems move to. you do have another ar15? at least nail it down to upper or lower half.. is any wear showing up on the feed lips, like the carrier is making contact?

Exactly. Just do a process of elimination. Mags are "usually" the issue.

dieselpower
11-12-2010, 8:55 PM
I can't see a rug or wedge causing this. a bad mag arm could, possibly tolerance stacking. try a different mag catch arm. how many mags it do this with...if just 10/30s i bet she is just being stubborn on tight mags.

Falstaff
11-12-2010, 9:22 PM

I'll try that, I have a few ar's laying around..

Peter.Steele
11-12-2010, 9:38 PM
New magazines?

First little bit with my AR build, using brand new magazines, there was a little bit of wear-in. I had trouble stripping the first round, had to use the FA button a little bit. I don't recall any issues with the mag sticking, though.