PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Buffer tube with no notch???

Crowesnest
11-12-2010, 7:20 PM
I just got my new milspec buffer tube and low and behold, no notch! It's a STAG and I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no cut-out notch for the buffer detent. Short of sending this POS back, are there any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Sam .223
11-12-2010, 7:26 PM
mine is the same way, i just made sure to tighten down the nut and call it good, just make sure the tube doesn't protrude to much into the reciever.

Spyder
11-12-2010, 7:27 PM
I don't think any of mine have a notch of any kind for the detent. I just run them in to where the detent is lined up just right and tighten away. Never had an issue.

sevensix2x51
11-12-2010, 7:28 PM
its not necessarily a POS... the A2 buffer tube doesnt have a notch either, and mine havent fallen off yet. just crank the nut and stake it, it wont go anywhere.

killshot44
11-12-2010, 7:32 PM
I just got my new milspec buffer tube and low and behold, no notch! It's a STAG and I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no cut-out notch for the buffer detent. Short of sending this POS back, are there any other ideas out there?

Notch? We don't need no stinking notch! :D

Just thread the tube into the receiver until the end of tube covers just the "step" or barrel of the detent leaving the "pin" of the detent sticking up to hold the buffer back. Tighten castle-nut securely. Staking it's up to you.

arfan66
11-12-2010, 7:34 PM
I've never had a 'notch' and I have several AR's. However, some have a little extra material or 'tang' that can be filed down for a custom fit. I just make sure the tube overlaps the buffer detent a bit (too much will shear off the pin/nub in time), making sure the buttstock land (?) is indexed properly. Cinch down the jam nut against the end plate and stake. Done.

U5512
11-12-2010, 8:01 PM
Call up Stag and have them send you a pickup ticket and send the POS back....!!!

sevensix2x51
11-12-2010, 8:04 PM
quit posting from your phone! were getting double taps down here!! :D

KaLiFORNIA
11-12-2010, 8:29 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't the buffer just hold the detent pin in place, which doesn't need a notch? I don't have a notch on my buffer ( I don't think.. Will check when I get home)

Droppin Deuces
11-12-2010, 8:31 PM
^^^ Was just thinking the same thing and checked. I don't know what notch you're talking about.

G-forceJunkie
11-12-2010, 8:34 PM
I'm not sure either. Usually the threads are clocked so the square edge of the buffer tube holds the buffer detent in place when it threaded in the proper amount.

dieselpower
11-12-2010, 8:46 PM
^^^ Was just thinking the same thing and checked. I don't know what notch you're talking about.

the only notch i know of are the ones in cheap china made tubes...welcome to quality gear. you don't need a notch

Cokebottle
11-12-2010, 8:51 PM
+1

Mil-spec buffer tubes do not have a notch.
That's a "non-feature" reserved for Commercial tubes.

Crowesnest
11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
thanks.... sorry for the double post....don't know what happened.

Anchors
11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, no notch on my BCM tube..

Crowesnest
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback...... I've been looking at my commercial buffer and apparently, those, especially those made in China, have the stupid notch. I took a look at my friend's buffer too and he doesn't have a notch either...so I worried for no reason. I appreciate the feedback.

Crowesnest
11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks all....figured everything out. Sorry for the double post...have no idea how it happened.

Anchors
11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
*I double posted because the threads were merged and I thought I forgot to hit post when I read the other one haha.*

slomofo
11-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I believe the notch he's referring to is this thing on the end of the tube which most of mine have, mil-spec or commercial, all of mine have it except a VLTOR collapsible tube and A2 fixed tubes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75120&stc=1&d=1289637359
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75121&stc=1&d=1289637359

Ahhh crap! I broke my take down detent spring taking this tube off to snap the pic. :mad: Stupid me.

Anchors
11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
You broke a take down pin?! :TFH:

Ohh, that notch. Yeah I have that. haha.

slomofo
11-12-2010, 11:50 PM
No, I broke the spring.

dieselpower
11-13-2010, 2:11 AM
any hardware store has the same spring. even a retractable pen spring can be used.

@ Slomofo,
I have never seen a Mil-spec tube with the notch. If you in fact have Mil-spec sized tubes with the notch, please post which manufacture you got them from. That would be good to know. The notch is a good improvement in the design, but no one making mil-spec tubes incorporates it.....at least I thought no one did. Make sure these are also forged tubes and not just the new china made mil-spec sized extruded tubes.

Crowesnest
11-13-2010, 6:08 AM
^^^ HAHA.... I didn't break my takedown pin spring, but it got twisted up somewhat ...I still managed to use it with the detent and it seems to work. I guess I'll just replace it when I can.

C_1
11-13-2010, 7:25 AM
I've installed quite a few tubes and the only one with a slight notch is the LMT.

Crowesnest
11-13-2010, 7:37 AM
The old tube I had was a commercial one and probably made in China.

PlacerTactical
11-13-2010, 7:37 AM
Tapco T6 Mil-spec stock kit has a notched tube

Cokebottle
11-13-2010, 5:01 PM
Ahhh crap! I broke my take down detent spring taking this tube off to snap the pic. :mad: Stupid me.
Tap the lower with a 4-40 tap.
Go to Hobby People and get some model airplane wheel collars (or 1/4" 4-40 grub screws if you can find them, but I can't).
Cut about 5 coils off of the spring.
Drop in the pin.
Drop in the spring.
Screw the grub screw down until it is flush with the back of the lower.
Never worry about losing parts again when you remove/change your buffer tube... the only thing to pay attention to is the buffer retainer pin/spring.

tomd1584
11-13-2010, 5:34 PM
Its called a receiver extension!

slomofo
11-13-2010, 5:42 PM
Tap the lower with a 4-40 tap.
Go to Hobby People and get some model airplane wheel collars (or 1/4" 4-40 grub screws if you can find them, but I can't).
Cut about 5 coils off of the spring.
Drop in the pin.
Drop in the spring.
Screw the grub screw down until it is flush with the back of the lower.
Never worry about losing parts again when you remove/change your buffer tube... the only thing to pay attention to is the buffer retainer pin/spring.

Did this on most of mine which is why the spring broke (I assumed there was a screw holding it). The capture screw comes on all Tactical Innovations lowers which is probably where people got the idea from.

slomofo
11-13-2010, 6:19 PM
@ Slomofo,
I have never seen a Mil-spec tube with the notch. If you in fact have Mil-spec sized tubes with the notch, please post which manufacture you got them from. That would be good to know. The notch is a good improvement in the design, but no one making mil-spec tubes incorporates it.....at least I thought no one did. Make sure these are also forged tubes and not just the new china made mil-spec sized extruded tubes.

Sorry, I didn't see your question.

I'm going to call it a lip because I think notch doesn't accurately describe it.

My receiver extensions:

One is DPMS commercial tube with the lip, I have no idea who makes DPMS tubes.
My old Colt 6920 had a lip (I no longer own this), also have no idea who makes colt tubes.
Tapco commercial has the lip.
Two LMT, both have lips.
Bushmaster designated 9mm pistol lower doesn't have the lip, IDK who makes bushmaster tubes.
DPMS LR308B A2 stock doesn't have a lip.
Model1Sales A2 stock doesn't have a lip.
VLTOR tube doesn't have a lip.

Not my pic, but it has a lip:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ny32182/LMT_stock.jpg

Cokebottle
11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm going to call it a lip because I think notch doesn't accurately describe it.
That is what I would call your LMT.

My RRA M-S doesn't have anything, fits just fine. I don't understand the purpose of the lip. It seems that it goes on the bottom? Maybe it's extra insurance that the threads won't extend beyond the inner surface of the receiver and foul the upper fitment if the receiver is out of spec?

The only "notches" that I've seen are just that... a little half-moon notch at the very bottom of the threaded portion, which allows the extension to be threaded in one or two more threads than "normal" and surrounds the buffer retaining pin.

Cokebottle
11-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Did this on most of mine which is why the spring broke (I assumed there was a screw holding it). The capture screw comes on all Tactical Innovations lowers which is probably where people got the idea from.
I got the idea from looking at my lower and the buttstock kit, and thought "This is a stupid design!"

slomofo
11-14-2010, 12:07 AM
The only "notches" that I've seen are just that... a little half-moon notch at the very bottom of the threaded portion, which allows the extension to be threaded in one or two more threads than "normal" and surrounds the buffer retaining pin.

Ohhhh, that notch. Silly me, I thought he was talking about the lip. My Tapco commercial tube has that notch in it.

NeoWeird
11-14-2010, 4:35 AM
The notches are not needed, and most likely added by people...lacking in the brain department trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The A2 stock receiver extension has a locking collar extruded intergal to the tube that is always the same distance from the oppening of the extension. Assuming the receiver is made to original spec in this dimension, the A2 stock will ALWAYS retain the pin because it's not timed to the receiver itself so the threaded portion will always thread into the receiver to the same depth. Thread in, lock down, done.

The CAR style stocks ARE timed and that is why they have no shoulder but use the locking ring instead. Thread the stock on until it makes contact with the buffer retainer, back off the stock to the next timed position, lock down locking ring, stake, done. The width of the buffer retainer and the pitch of the threads are such that if the stock is not retaining the pin, the stock can be threaded in another turn and not inhibit the buffer retainer's function.

edited for clarity.

-hanko
11-14-2010, 5:50 AM
That idea has been around about as long as lowers have been available.

Tapco T6 Mil-spec stock kit has a notched tube
TAPCO and Mil-spec are a conflict in terminology:rolleyes:.

-hanko

PlacerTactical
11-14-2010, 8:55 AM
TAPCO and Mil-spec are a conflict in terminology:rolleyes:.

-hanko

Might sound so but, they do offer both commercial and mil-spec. I havent sold any of their commercial spec, only the mil-spec. It is in fact mil-spec diameter.:rolleyes:
http://tapco.com/products/ar/index.p...productId=81#a