PDA

View Full Version : AB 2728 needs your attention NOW (6/22)

mikehaas
06-22-2006, 11:31 AM
06/22/2006 - AB 2728 will appear before the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, 6/27/2006. This is the last opportunity AB 2728 has to pass this committee. Please contact the committee and urge a NO vote against this bill.

Latest info and contact tools at:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2728

Existing law establishes a list of certain firearms by make and model as assault weapons and otherwise describes or defines certain firearms as firearms. This bill would provide that the term "assault weapon" for those purposes includes the frame or receiver of the weapon.
Existing law provides a judicial procedure for declaring a firearm an assault weapon, as specified. This bill would repeal those provisions.

Existing law authorizes the Attorney General to declare a firearm an assault weapon. This bill would provide that authorization ends January 1, 2007.

Existing law generally regulates the possession of assault weapons and .50 BMG rifles. This bill would provide that possession of any assault weapon or of any .50 BMG rifle in violation of specified provisions of law would be a public nuisance. The bill would authorize the Attorney General, any district attorney, or any city attorney to bring an action in superior court to enjoin the possession of the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle. The bill would further provide that any assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle possessed in violation of specified provisions of law would, subject to exception, be destroyed, as specified. The bill would also provide that upon conviction of any misdemeanor or felony involving an assault weapon, the assault weapon would be deemed a nuisance and disposed of as specified.

(Previously, AB 2728 dealt with FIREARMS DEALERS, but underwent a process called 'gut & amend', where the entire contents of the bill is replaced.)

Mike

DrjonesUSA
06-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Email sent.

Thanks for posting the updates!!

Shane916
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Forgive my ignorance but, if the bill did pass, would that open a registration period? :confused:

Ratters
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
What would be the talking points of an email sent to rebut this bill?

And if I use the one click, does that cost me $20 and allow my email to be sold to spammers as stated on the website?

bwiese
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
There's lotsa issues with this bill. Let's not do the legislature's analysis job for them by dismantling it in public.

This bill can cause trouble, but there's a chance it actually could be helpful too ;)

I haven't wasted much time reading this since it's still the 1st cut.

Librarian
06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
And if I use the one click, does that cost me $20 and allow my email to be sold to spammers as stated on the website?Only if you urge some other action than a "NO" vote.

Geez, I hate 'gut and replace'.

DrjonesUSA
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
What would be the talking points of an email sent to rebut this bill?

Typically it is actually best to NOT write a lengthy email or letter.

Simply clearly state the bill number and what it relates to (maybe the author as well) and state that you are opposed to it.

Nothing fancy and it should simply not be any longer than a few lines as it will not get read by anyone other than a staffer and even the staffer will likely not read it if it is too long.

I simply state that "this bill will infringe upon the right of law-abiding American citizens to keep and bear arms" or similar and again request a vote for/against the bill at the end.

Short and sweet is most effective and clear.

DrjonesUSA
06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Here's what I wrote in my email about AB 2714:

Hello.

I am writing to urge you to vote AGAINST AB 2714.

This bill would provide, subject to exceptions, that no ammunition or reloaded ammunition designed and intended to be used in a handgun may be delivered pursuant to a retail transaction unless the purchaser personally presents bona fide evidence of his or her identity and age, as specified, to the seller of the ammunition.

This unConstitutional bill would infringe upon the rights of law-abiding American citizens to own and USE firearms by attacking the sales of ammunition.

Again, please vote NO on AB 2714.

Regards,
Drjones

vrylak
06-22-2006, 1:03 PM
email sent.

there are 5 bills including this one on that link.
NRA opposes 4, supports 1

so I sent 5 emails.

Shane916
06-22-2006, 3:13 PM
And if I use the one click, does that cost me $20 and allow my email to be sold to spammers as stated on the website?

These provisions do NOT apply to users of these services that lobby for the defense of the Right-To-Keep-And-Bear-Arms, as directed by The NRA Members' Councils of California.