PDA

View Full Version : LEO Question about transporting S&W handguns in the Plastic Factory Boxes.

Sopholis
11-11-2010, 1:50 PM
I am planning to take my Grandson out for a day of shooting in the desert east of San Diego the day after Thanksgiving. When transporting my Smith & Wesson Handguns, I have the handgun cable lock that came with the gun, and the factory plastic boxes. My question is, do I lock it thru the cylinder of the revolvers, and leave the box unlocked. Or can I just run it thru the lock hole on the outside of the box and leave the gun unlocked inside the box. I have to pass thru 2 Border Patrol check points as well as the 100 mile drive each way. I plan to take between 6 to 10 different revolvers and a couple bottom feeders also with the same type of S&W factory box. I always take a folder with my DROS information and copies of the paperwork on all the firearms, so there will be no problem as to me being the legal registered owner of them if stopped. I just want to make sure that I am carrying them correctly. They will be in the extra cab behind the seats and the ammo will be in a milk crate back in the bed of the truck. If for some reason I get stopped I just want to make sure that any CHP or BP or LEO will be satisfied with the way I am transporting things. Thank you for any replies.

yzernie
11-11-2010, 1:56 PM
It has to be in a locked container. My suggestion is to put the cable lock through the hole and then loop it around the carry handle of the box twice.

BigDogatPlay
11-11-2010, 3:34 PM
If you don't have appropriately sized padlocks to use in the holes provided on the cases, then wrapping the cable locks tight around the handles should work. Locked container means locked container, not a cable lock through an open cylinder, unfortunately. So long as you making a reasonable effort to lock the cases, you should be good to go.

Ranger
11-11-2010, 7:09 PM
Or do you have a locking container like a briefcase, small suitcase, etc? Tool box or fishing box? Just something it can be locked up in. Does not need to be fancy.