PDA

View Full Version : In the northbay beware of samurai swords.

Haggar85
11-10-2010, 10:04 PM
hey folks,
i know this is the C & R forum usual pertaining to firearms,however i do like mil antiques and often frequent antique shops that have large collections. often there are a few snakes here and there. guy selling a ppsh pouch from Stalingrad soaked in coffee that has 1956 stamped inside. or the sequential German SS dog tag collection from a whole squad.
i have come across some crooked guys, one individual usually sells samurai swords to antique shops in the northbay. he does not work for the stores,he just is a self described scrounger of military antiques. i met this man a few times and only learned his nick name Mack.hes an older guff fellow that wears a straw cowboy hat and he has to be about 60 or so.
he buys cheap Korean or Chinese made blades and attaches vintage Japanese handles and hilts. he told me his profit is through the roof and bragged how he cobbles them together in his garage. he buys Korean blades made in the jinsen arsenal. jinsen made blades in the 30's and 40's and were not any where near the quality or age of Japanese blades.
Blades made in Korea were more ornamental and not actually a samurai sword passed down through generations.so no cutting through 9 tatami mats. the quality of the steel is generally lower and the craftsmanship is mediocre at best. they did fold the steel but not to the degree of a sword smith in japan. iirc they folded it 2 or 4 times and used an automatic hammer.
China has made knock off of samurai swords for hundreds of years. they still make blades and chemically age them and sell them as the real deal (usually on evilbay). there is not a scrap of difference between chinese blades and the ones at flea markets.
the blades mack used he said always had "age" to them so they would be correct for the era.age is a very loose term in this case. the stores were not exactly privy to this guys actions but they bought the blades and labeled them WWII used. this fellow usually said they had 1840's handles, hilts and sheaths. i would wager he was hinting that they were much older than wwII while selling them.
a cousin of mine nearly bought on of his swords for 1200 bucks from a store.fortunately my cousin noticed that there was a particular detail missing on the blade and changed his mind.as far as i know the stores that i frequented stopped doing business with this fellow. it was suspicious that a guy would come in with 2 or 3 samurai swords per month. i have not seen him in some time. just wanted to put out a word or two. know what your buying and know what to look for.
cheers

cmaher55
11-12-2010, 3:46 PM
Great info but well known to sword collectors. Never buy a Japanese sword unless you see the 88 year old vet pull it out of his WW2 footlocker and it is only $100....! Same thing with German medals and a lot of German helmets. And please, your post is really hard to read if you don't capitalize and puncuate properly....! Most posts written like yours I don't read, a lot of other people do the same, almost as bad as typing in all caps...! Regards

POLICESTATE
11-12-2010, 3:53 PM
HEY! I'm THAT GUY!!!

Haha just kidding. Wow what a jerk.

bruce381
11-12-2010, 4:53 PM
not into swords but I guess I'd bring it to the guy at cow palace that has all the swords but none for sale I guess is informational only has will appraise for a small fee I think. he's been around forever so i guess I would defer to him, guys that go top caow palce will knoe who I mean. I learned to never pay high dollar for something that I did not know about cause thats when they get you same when I started into M1 carbines.

Haggar85
11-12-2010, 8:47 PM
OK, with all due respect. This is the fourth time this week i have been corrected or insulted about my writing skills. I have a disability (chromosome 15 and 19.) I am not poorly educated, I am not a back woods retard. I am not a guy trying to talk like an okie or in some vernacular. I am going to stop posting on calguns. I have had enough this and would expect more understand but i guess that is not so. I am trying to relay information that might seem important to a few people here. Some people here clearly do not passing up a chance to correct or criticize another calgunner. I assume it is more important to them to do this as opposed to reading general message i am trying to get across and simply forgiving grammatical errors.
I am going to shove off, have a good night, and week and so on.

brassballs
11-12-2010, 9:10 PM
hag don't go away mad, these a holes that cap on us disabled types can shove off as far as i'm concerned!

by t5he way i have one of those $500 dollar copy cat swords your talking about. evil-bay trickstir got me with the switch and bait trick then bailed out of e-bay.

my loss pic's were great sword was not.:mad:

only10x
11-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Hey Haggar, dont mind the noobs. anyone with half a brain and any real interest in the subject will have something more than criticism to contribute to a thread.
Hope you will reconsider posting and calguns in general. This single thread could have/will have saved atleast one person from making an expensive mistake, members like yourself are the reason calguns.net is a daily stop for many members like myself.
regards
Julio aka Only10x

gunboat
11-12-2010, 9:54 PM
Hey, What have you got against Okies?

pullnshoot25
11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Haggar, what is your genetic defect, exactly?

Ross
11-13-2010, 8:48 AM
Great info but well known to sword collectors. Never buy a Japanese sword unless you see the 88 year old vet pull it out of his WW2 footlocker and it is only $100....! Same thing with German medals and a lot of German helmets. And please, your post is really hard to read if you don't capitalize and puncuate properly....! Most posts written like yours I don't read, a lot of other people do the same, almost as bad as typing in all caps...! Regards

OK, with all due respect. This is the fourth time this week i have been corrected or insulted about my writing skills. I have a disability (chromosome 15 and 19.) I am not poorly educated, I am not a back woods retard. I am not a guy trying to talk like an okie or in some vernacular. I am going to stop posting on calguns. I have had enough this and would expect more understand but i guess that is not so. I am trying to relay information that might seem important to a few people here. Some people here clearly do not passing up a chance to correct or criticize another calgunner. I assume it is more important to them to do this as opposed to reading general message i am trying to get across and simply forgiving grammatical errors.

Haggar, I am trying to figure out how cmaher55's post was either insulting or correcting. cmaher55 did point out how your post is hard to read and in effect, the post provided you an opportunity to explain a disibility which most, if not all, people here have never heard of.

How does this disability work?

Haggar85
11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
One member said:
A little off topic, but what the f is wrong with you and your post? Do you have ADHD or something? It hurt my brain bad to read your post. It has no central point, you jump from unrelated topic to another unrelated topic, and your punctuation and paragraph structure is all over the place.

ARRRGGGGGGG -Kelesis

Along with the fella above and the few other members that speak to me in this manner. Cmaher55 is mild in getting his point across, other members here are not so kind or mild. When did this become an English class?
Go to wikipedia, type in Dyslexia. this term is an umbrella term that covers many learning and comprehension disabilities.I have one from of this.The chromosomes i got were slightly different than they should be. number 15 and 19 iirc.
A small but important section of my brain stopped learning (or retaining information.) at the age of 5 year old. I am 25, and that part of my brain will remain at the age of 5 till i die, theres no fixing it. others in my family have this disorder and a few are completely illiterate. Some dyslexia is treatable and others are not. unfortunately the type i have is not treatable.My parents have tried every thing, special schooling, and so on with no results. My reading level is around a 5th grader on a good day, if it were not for spell check i probably could not communicate very well.
in primary/ junior /high school i am sure may people saw the different kids in the buildings separated from the regular classes. those were my buildings with kids like me. Okie and retard as well as Mublef*(ktard are term i am very familiar with.
Winston Churchill, Richard Branson and Albert Einstein all have or had dyslexia ( a different form than mine though.) but they were successful in life in ways other than reading and writing. i would wager if you read their hand writing, it would be nearly illegible scribbles and looker very similar to mine in structure and punctuation.
So thats my disability. It was so bad when I took the test to try to get into the marines, they saw my results and were not interested in me.
I am sure folks here will deem my offense at this as overly sensitive. when i am met with statements like these and others, i am compelled to leave this forum. if some one said "what are you retarded?" to you, how would you respond?

TRAP55
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
if some one said "what are you retarded?" to you, how would you respond?
I'd tell them "no, I have dyslexia, and since you are perfect, why didn't you already know that?"
I don't have a problem reading what you post Haggar, and for those that do? The internet is just like a TV. If you don't like what's on the screen, change the channel.:)

olhunter
11-13-2010, 11:36 AM

I would ask you to reconsider and stay.

Trust me, you communicate far better than most.

And I applaud your efforts, without pity.

Stay bro. Your contributions are worthwhile.

only10x
11-13-2010, 12:56 PM
btw
"ARRRGGGGGGG -Kelesis"
is BANNED for personal insults, profanity etc.

like I said, dont let the noobs get you down, or anyone else for that matter.
:chris:

Masterdebater
11-13-2010, 1:24 PM
i have seen wwwaaaaaaaaayyyy worse, i read ur post just fine. in fact after what cmaher said i had to go back up and see what was wrong with the post. screw them dude its the interwebs

Barabas
11-13-2010, 1:24 PM
OP, you should pick up a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking and end the excuses for poor communication. You will never be taken seriously as long as you continue to have a raw nerve about your disability and allow it to get in the way of communicating. My father has a severe form of dyslexia, but he's a great verbal communicator. Since installing Dragon, his online interactions have become far less frustrating for everyone involved.

As far as the topic goes, Japanese swords are no different than any other collectible. If you don't know the subject, you are more likely to get taken by misrepresentation than get lucky and score a great deal. You HAVE to know what you're dealing in or you won't be able to recognize what is in front of your face. Never take the seller's word, even if their reputation is impeccable. Buyer beware, always.

Spiggy
11-13-2010, 1:41 PM
I have a stutter, if I don't time myself during speaking, I'll mash up words.

Doesn't translate on text, but the face-face talking royally sucks if I'm unprepared for it.

Gen. George S. Patton was well known for having difficulty studying text and spent countless hours(if not days) studying books. Had he existed this day, he would be diagnosed with some form of dyslexia

Bukowski
11-13-2010, 5:57 PM
Carry on and ignore the "grammer police". Some folks seem to get an exceptional amount of pleasure correcting someone's English, while the rest of us appreciate the information.

You can tell who has "performence issues" right away...:43:

anthonyca
11-13-2010, 6:29 PM

I read and understood your post just fine. You are a valuable asset here and gave some good information on the sword situation.

F those people. There are many more good people here then those who insult people. Is it then or than in my last sentence? I still can't get that down. Thomas Jefferson was know to spell the same word wrong three or four different ways on the same page. We are in good company, I can't spell for $&@/.

Haggar85
11-13-2010, 6:59 PM
Thank you. i was unaware that there was verbal software to write from me. ill get it and put my spelling errors to bed.this S*** frustrates me to no end. its been a rough week and perhaps i just seems to converse with the grammar police or some one that does not like the cut of my Jib. thank you. ill be around.
About the sword that was from Ebay, there is a market believe it or not for people that want as a look alike or wall hanger. you might be able to recoup some money. it would most likely be some one studying kendo and wanting some thing to toy around with.
Be it a modern reproduction, if the blade is not one of the Taiwanese style where the blade is clamped into the hilt, the blade will still preform. the garage sale and pawn shop samurai swords usually have a blade affixed to the handle by a little brass piece. the blade and handle in this case are two separate pieces, they put the blade into the little brass piece, then have a machine stamp them together.
if the sword has a full tang then its unusable, it wont cut through 3 people though. might try putting it back up on Ebay and state its a reproduction. if its a good quality piece, then you might saw its a very good representation etc.
Back in high school the first guy to turn 18 in our class went to the knife shop and bought a 3 foot sword. He said it was the folded steel and the real deal as far as quality goes, just a modern reproduction. This swords set him back 189 bucks. a modern made folded steel swords that is made in japan is about 1100 bucks.
So he had the blade sharpened and claims he can cut branches off a tree. so a small crowd gathers around after school (and off campus) and watch this guys with his sword try to cut down a small tree about the thickness of a forearm.
Well this fellow winds up and tries to shout some kind of HHHIIIIIYYYAA!. he hits the tree square on about in the middle. the blade gets dislodged from its brass clamp on impact and he is left holding just the handle looking puzzled. his blade flips end over end in another direction and about 10 of us are left rolling on the ground with laughter.

Dr.Mauser
11-13-2010, 7:21 PM
haggar please dont go, one less calgunner is like one less star in the beautiful night sky, smiling down twinkling and letting you know your loved :(......that made me feel strange....*clears throat* In other news, I like boobs, guns, football, beer, and video games...

Haggar85
11-13-2010, 7:27 PM
ill stay but i am going to get the voice software so i can communicate properly. i am just going to cool off and chalk it up to just crossing paths with the wrong folk.
boobs, guns, beer and mosins. i like these things too. i just going to chill for a while.

brassballs
11-13-2010, 7:36 PM
Thanks for the advice Haggar.

i know a little about blades and was able to make money years ago when you could still find them in obscure places.

had a very nice collection at one time, but i'm going to keep this one as a reminder that i know a little about them, not enough.

on a high note, i'm very glad to see your still with us! and when i say us i mean everyone involved with calguns, as we have one very important thing in common, 2 A, or the love of guns.:cool:

as i learn more about this web sight i might be able to post correctly(spelling , grammar, punctuation)but as you can see by my post count i mostly just read not reply.

if there is no levity or just humorous posts allowed this would be a very boring place.

tankerman
11-13-2010, 7:37 PM
He only brought up his disability because he was being continually harassed and put down.

I'll take a post containing good info such as the OP, over a properly punctuated pile of steamy crap from some self adsorbed individual. OP, you should pick up a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking and end the excuses for poor communication. You will never be taken seriously as long as you continue to have a raw nerve about your disability and allow it to get in the way of communicating. My father has a severe form of dyslexia, but he's a great verbal communicator. Since installing Dragon, his online interactions have become far less frustrating for everyone involved.

As far as the topic goes, Japanese swords are no different than any other collectible. If you don't know the subject, you are more likely to get taken by misrepresentation than get lucky and score a great deal. You HAVE to know what you're dealing in or you won't be able to recognize what is in front of your face. Never take the seller's word, even if their reputation is impeccable. Buyer beware, always.

Agent Orange
11-13-2010, 7:37 PM
...Is it then or than in my last sentence?...

It's than ;)

Flyin Brian
11-13-2010, 7:39 PM
Haggar, I sure hope you don't let those jerks run you off. I think you're post was fine and a good warning to the people who might run across this sword collector and get burned. I would rather see a few spelling errors than some of the snooty snobbish crap I see on here from others occasionally.

silversix
11-13-2010, 8:47 PM
I don't follow swords (that would be dangerous lol) but thanks for spreading the word.

Mofo-Kang
11-14-2010, 5:42 AM
yes, be very careful when looking into buying an antique Japanese sword. In the bay area and down in LA (edit: looks like one in Sacramento, too) there are a couple of sword collecting societies that can put you in touch with some real experts who can check over anything you're planning to buy before you buy it. The seller should be happy to go along with that, if he's legit.

You can find links to several good sources here:
http://www.nihonto.com/upclub.html

Also, there's a Japanese sword arts email list run by Kim Taylor out of the University of Guelph up in Canada. The list is pretty quiet lately, but there are people on there who are bona fide experts, historians, sword smiths, etc:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/

geeknow
11-14-2010, 6:01 AM
Op, good advice. Thanks for the heads up.

...and dont sweat the grammar nazis. Everybody's got to be an expert at something.

Mark M
11-14-2010, 6:40 AM
Thanks for the reminder about the crooks that are out there. Don't sweat the idiots and internet tough guys. They would never say that stuff to your face. Please stick around.

TRAP55
11-14-2010, 8:22 AM
not into swords but I guess I'd bring it to the guy at cow palace that has all the swords but none for sale I guess is informational only has will appraise for a small fee I think. he's been around forever so i guess I would defer to him, guys that go top caow palce will knoe who I mean. I learned to never pay high dollar for something that I did not know about cause thats when they get you same when I started into M1 carbines.
Bruce, if that's the guy from Japan that barely speaks English, I can give him a big thumbs up! He did a sword restoration for a friend of mine, that was made about 1500AD. Just by looking at the metal work, he knew the maker by name before he removed the grip to confirm it.

frankm
11-14-2010, 8:47 AM
btw
"ARRRGGGGGGG -Kelesis"
is BANNED for personal insults, profanity etc.

:)

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist. I wouldn't buy a sword unless it had some sort of authentication to it. An appraisal, etc.

SanPedroShooter
11-15-2010, 4:44 AM
It helps if you hit enter a couple a times to break up the paragraphs
Other than everything smashed together, which is hard to read, i did'nt have any problem reading your first post.

mousegun
11-15-2010, 5:58 AM
Haggar:

Understandable if you're a bit testy about criticism like that. It sucks. I do have a suggestion, however. If some bozo dumps on your writing style, just reply "I have/am <whatever condition you want>. It's the best I can do." Then drop it. Believe me, Calgunners will dump on the guy for you.

There are folks that can spell and parse well but don't because they're lazy or think it's trendy. Problem is, some of us get twittered up in the disapproval of it. Just human nature, I suppose.

Personally, I find your writing hard to read. That is NOT meant as a criticism. It's just the truth. I have a friend on one of the blackpowder forums that writes almost as well as you do. Sometimes I have to reformat his posting just to understand what he's saying. I do it because he has more knowledge about percussion firearms and kitchen table gunsmithing than anyone I've ever known. It's worth the trouble.

The point is: what you posted is a lot more important and interesting than how you posted it. Some jackamaroons just don't get it. You've already decided not to blow us off - thank you for that - so just ignore the less gifted of us. Go have a beer and lurk a while. We need good input and you got it to give.

cmaher55
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Haggar85, my apologies to you if my post came off as being a grammar nazi. I meant no disrespect but just offering some friendly advice. You had some good information and I am sure you will contribute more to this community in the future. From my end, I have very little time to read a post as I can only pop onto Calguns for a few minutes here and there..... If it takes twice as long to read a post due to lack of punctuation, run on sentences, words melding together, and misused words that I have to interpret the meaning of, then often I move on to the next post and ignore that user. That's all, just a heads up to you that you may not be getting your full audience if you post like you did in your original post. Regards, Chris

user name
11-15-2010, 8:43 PM
I have issues as well. It takes me much longer to type out what I want and to say what I want.

What I do not understand is how people writhe nasty notes on grammer in this format. However if this was face to face would never dream of saying a word to the other person. I was brought up not to do that.

I would rather read info that is of intrust to me than to miss out on it.

I had the ability to read at a college level in 6th grade. It took me 35 more years to be able to write like a 6th grader!

My 17 year old son scores in the top 90% in many subjects (96% in history)

Spelling and punctuation he's in the 30% range.

We laugh about how if I ask him how to spell a word that we both will change words in a sentence that we can spell. ie catalog is used over brouchure.