PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Different AR Pistol Question

xLusi0n
06-20-2006, 11:57 PM
I searched (AR-15 and Calguns) about the AR pistol and know the jist...had a slightly different question I didn't see is:

If I live in AZ and buy a AR pistol reciever (registered on the books as a pistol) and build an AR pistol...

Then I move back to CA, can I fix a mag to it (assuming we still agree that fixed mags = legal) and bring it back to CA as a pistol?

I know AR pistols are seen as "grey" areas, but if we read the law and interpret it logically (and not make silly rules up as we go)...it's technically legal if you build it right.

bu-bye
06-21-2006, 12:04 AM
No because of where the mag is located. Pinned or not, its location is illegal.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
No because of where the mag is located. Pinned or not, its location is illegal.

??????????????

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Blacktail 8541
06-21-2006, 7:43 AM
The magazine well is not located within the pistol grip, this would make it illeagle in CA, not the fact that it was not drop tested. It is legale to bring into the state pistols you already posses, just not for the purpose of ditsrabution.

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 8:02 AM
I don't feel like going down this road, but read what Amendment II posted.

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 8:20 AM
does the safety test apply to new retail purchases in CA or does it apply to me if I buy it in AZ and MOVE to CA with it?

gose
06-21-2006, 8:27 AM
does the safety test apply to new retail purchases in CA or does it apply to me if I buy it in AZ and MOVE to CA with it?

The safety test/approved list only applies to guns sold by dealers IN California. When you move here you're free to bring in as many personally owned unlisted firearms as you like.
However, you're not allowed to bring in any assault weapons, meaning handguns with threaded barrels, detachable mags outside the pistolgrip etc.

So, since most of us here assume that our OLLs are legal with 'fixed' mags, I don't see why an AR pistol (with an OLL) with a fixed magazine wouldn't be ok.
It's a personal import so it doesnt have to be on the list and it doesnt have a detachable magazine outside the pistolgrip. Just make sure the lower isn't listed...

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 8:33 AM
Thanks, thats what I thought and was hoping for...

Does this mean the .50 Desert Eagle can be brought in too?

ohsmily
06-21-2006, 8:41 AM
Thanks, thats what I thought and was hoping for...

Does this mean the .50 Desert Eagle can be brought in too?

Yes........(or if you buy the 44 mag model here, you can put a 50 AE conversion on it.)

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Sweet...guess what I'mma do in August? :)

Mssr. Eleganté
06-21-2006, 8:58 AM
-----Quote:
-----Originally Posted by xLusi0n:
-----"I don't feel like going down this road, but read what Amendment II posted."

Original post mentions fixing the mag in place prior to bringing it into California. Rendering it non-detachable. Therefore 12276.1 is moot.

Just to be clear, I didn't post the text of SB23 to show the original poster that the gun would be illegal. I posted it to show bu-bye that it would be legal. That's why I highlighted the words "detachable" in the quote from SB23.

bwiese
06-21-2006, 9:10 AM
Several things you need to be aware of...

you'd have to be an out-of-state resident to buy your AR receiver outta state (Californians generally can't buy guns outta state without going thru a CA FFL);

after moving into CA, you'd have 60 days to register your handguns as a 'personal handgun importer', including the AR pistol receiver;

your AR receiver would have to be transferred to you as a handgun/pistol, not a rifle - and it'd have to have not started out as a rifle ("once a rifle always a rifle" concept);

you should be aware of CA AW laws below, and understand you cannot have a threaded barrel, nor any regular front AR grips on your AR, let alone forward pistol grips if you're gonna deviate away from fixed mag. The government wants you to burn your hand:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

Mssr. Eleganté
06-21-2006, 9:17 AM
But he said the mag would be FIXED!!!

Here are a few highlights from the original post...

If I live in AZ

buy a AR pistol reciever (registered on the books as a pistol)

can I fix a mag to it (assuming we still agree that fixed mags = legal)

Then I move back to CA

Bling Bling 2.0
06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Well desert is still cheap in AZ just North East of Havasu. Last I looked you could get a few acres for less than $3k.

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 4:45 PM
I have military orders which allows me "residency" in AZ. I'll be there in August for a bit, then back to CA.

I believe with a FIXED MAG, I can have rails or handguards, but no Foward Grip as BATF has deemed a Forward Grip on an AR Pistol to make it an AOW so that's a Federal issue...though that subject has been debated from what I understand on AR15.com.

bwiese
06-21-2006, 5:01 PM
I have military orders which allows me "residency" in AZ. I'll be there in August for a bit, then back to CA.

You bettah talk to a gun lawyer about residency standards. If you have to put residency in quotes, it may not suffice for federal or CA..

You're going to a lot of work for something pretty useless (an AR pistol).

xLusi0n
06-21-2006, 5:27 PM
I will be living in AZ under military orders which means I am a resident without having to wait 30 days...

Last time I was there (back in 2001) I bought some hand guns no problem with the same type of orders.

I have to be there anyway, so it's really no trouble. I'm just trying to collect up as much as I can before CA laws get any more gay...I'm kicking myself for missing the Barrett .50 rifle amongst many other things.

grammaton76
06-23-2006, 4:47 PM
Wouldn't the plastic handguard (NOT forward grip, handguard) commonly used on AR pistols constitute a "shroud"? Therefore, you'd have to run it as a bare barrel?

Mssr. Eleganté
06-23-2006, 5:24 PM
Not with a fixed magazine.

grammaton76
06-23-2006, 6:09 PM
Not with a fixed magazine.

Ah, right, I keep forgetting the fixed bit. Cool.

Sluggz
06-24-2006, 3:25 PM
You could construct a singe shot AR pistol in CA legally, it could even have a shroud and threaded barrel, since it doesn't take a magazine. Singe shot pistols are exempt from the drop test req if the barrel is 6" or over, and the OAL is 10", easy to do with the buffer tube.

onley11
06-25-2006, 2:01 PM
I don't know, I think a fixed mag, 14.5 inch barrel, ar pistol with a decent brake would be pretty interesting. Nice pack gun. Just make sure it's super reliable, and I'd put a harris br bipod on it and leave the carbine length ace type recoil tube with foam on it (but no stock), top it off with a holosight, and shoot 77 gr otm's.

No, I hadn't thought about this at all...:D

God forbid someone bought two and decided to ppt one to me.:rolleyes:

Yes, I do know this would be an exceptionally bad idea, but I can dream.;)

Guess I could do it with a dpms single shot imported as a pistol reciever thru a oos ffl that put the correct (supplied by me) upper on it, but I have other things to waste money on right now...

Maybe the one by red stick will be cool... A gas piston upper would be nice.