PDA

View Full Version : cosmoline?

generalpetres
11-09-2010, 8:59 PM
how long will it take for the cosmoline to be out of my chamber on my rifle? i went out to the desert last weekend and shot it for the first time and the bolt was really hard to open after the gun was fired, but after putting 80 rounds or so thru it of surplus ammo i cleaned the rifle and noticed the bolt was a lot easier to open after firing but still takes a bit of grunt to open the bolt completely. should i do like some of the videos on the web and clean the chamber with polishing compound and 20-gauge brush or just keep shooting it till its easier to operate?

metalliman545
11-09-2010, 9:19 PM
how long will it take for the cosmoline to be out of my chamber on my rifle? i went out to the desert last weekend and shot it for the first time and the bolt was really hard to open after the gun was fired, but after putting 80 rounds or so thru it of surplus ammo i cleaned the rifle and noticed the bolt was a lot easier to open after firing but still takes a bit of grunt to open the bolt completely. should i do like some of the videos on the web and clean the chamber with polishing compound and 20-gauge brush or just keep shooting it till its easier to operate?

did you like not try scrubbing it with a chamber brush? maybe take apart your bolt and clean the gunk off in there. if it was hard to open was there a scratch on the cases? ive never had those problems cuz i never had a refurbed mosin but my cousin did, 2 nice burrs in the chamber. it was stiff as **** to open.

rojocorsa
11-09-2010, 9:21 PM
I believe mineral spirits would also help you in your endeavor...

Someguy925
11-10-2010, 7:56 AM
You can also use heat(though not so much to make it catch fire) to get the cosmoline to melt, then you can wipe it off.

Mineral spirits does help with the caked in cosmoline as well.

Divernhunter
11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Mineral spirts and a brush to fit the chamber attached to a drill. Then work it until it is gone. The laquer coating on the mil ammo also causes the problem. More so if you let the gun get hot from too much firing without letting it cool.

generalpetres
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
the ammo was sticking with either the surplus ammo and the newer winchester heavy ball ammo. ill try some mineral spirits and see how that goes.

C.W.M.V.
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Are you talking about a mosin? IE sticky bolt?
I did exactly whats highlighted there, but I attached it to a drill. Its amazing how black that brush came out. I never got it to the point that the brush came out totally clean, but my M38 bolt cycles like butter now.

FeuerFrei
11-10-2010, 6:41 PM
Sounds like classic "sticky bolt syndrome" or SBS. :cuss:
Before I started the polishing treatment I used "Kroil" to loosen up the dirt in the chamber.
Then I used "Flitz" polish on a patch, wrapped around an old AR chamber brush to clean in up. The friggin patches kept coming out black. Lots of crap.
This thing's bolt rotates really well now.
I got this idea from a guy on Youtube. Worked for me.