PDA

View Full Version : AR 20-30 rnd mags CA-legal

Electric Factory
06-20-2006, 8:50 PM
I have a friend who was cleaning out his garage and he found several boxes of shooting accessories which literally hadn't seen the light of day for 20-25 years-slings, old S&W pistol boxes, ammo[lots of ammo] and a couple of no longer CA-legal AR magazines.
What is my friend required to do with them , if anything ?

Hunter
06-20-2006, 8:55 PM
I have a friend who was cleaning out his garage and he found several boxes of shooting accessories which literally hadn't seen the light of day for 20-25 years-slings, old S&W pistol boxes, ammo[lots of ammo] and a couple of no longer CA-legal AR magazines.
What is my friend required to do with them , if anything ?

The mags are perfectly legal for him to keep and use. The law only bans him from selling/giving/ect to anyone in CA if left intact. Now on the other hand if they are disassembled, then there are no laws banning them. So he can do as he wishes, since he is dealing with parts only.

Leadthrower
06-20-2006, 8:57 PM
The mags are perfectly legal for him to keep and use. The law only bans him from selling/giving/ect to anyone in CA if left intact. Now on the other hand if they are disassembled, then there are no laws banning them. So he can do as he wishes, since he is dealing with parts only.

Very true!...And we'll see how much he'd be willing to sell some parts to me for.

USP4me
06-20-2006, 8:57 PM
If he is looking to sell the S&W boxes I'd be interested to know what he has

The SoCal Gunner
06-20-2006, 9:03 PM
He can go ahead an throw them away in my trashcan if he likes. Let me know. :)

maschronic
06-20-2006, 9:15 PM
give them to me. i'll recycle them!! :D

EBWhite
06-20-2006, 9:22 PM
Have him disassemble the mags and give them to me. I'll keep the parts.....

Electric Factory
06-20-2006, 9:50 PM
HAHAHA [ hear wild laughing] you guys are killing me, I mean my friend.
He will doubtless keep said mags, but this brings up another question; if I understand correctly it's not the owning per se but the acquiring / purchasing which is a no-no ?

Purely an academic question.

blacklisted
06-20-2006, 9:58 PM
HAHAHA [ hear wild laughing] you guys are killing me, I mean my friend.
He will doubtless keep said mags, but things brings up another question; if I understand correctly it's not the owning per se but the acquiring / purchasing which is a no-no ?

Purely an academic question.

As was already said: It is perfectly fine to own the mags if they were posessed prior to 2000.

Bling Bling 2.0
06-21-2006, 4:13 PM
I assume he doesn't own an AR or that he didn't register one. He could build an OLL without the pistol grip, or use them for a Keltec or Remington or whatever uses AR mags now.

mxer14
06-21-2006, 5:03 PM
What about magazines with/without date codes? I hear that some were stamped with date codes to state that they were post ban.

Jicko
06-21-2006, 5:08 PM
What about magazines with/without date codes? I hear that some were stamped with date codes to state that they were post ban.

What about WHAT!?

Date coded or not is irrelevant in this discussion.

If you DO NOT have them(any magazines having capacity to hold more than 10 rounds) in YOUR possession on Jan 1, 2000.... then you SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY (period)

blkA4alb
06-21-2006, 5:09 PM
Doesn't matter since you can legally replace the bodies. Even with ones marked LE/Govt only. Still no way to prove it.

rorschach
06-21-2006, 6:48 PM
Now what if I was unlawfully possessing a post-ban (post 1994 fed ban) military or L.E. 30 round mag, before the 2000 California ban. Say its dated 1996. I still possessed it (albeit unlawfully) prior to 2000 in the state of California. Are they now legal??

For the record, I do not own any postban mags, im just throwing out a "What If?"

ldivinag
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Pretty much. Buying, selling, gifting, willing, loaning 10+ capacity mags between CA residents is illegal. Same goes for importation into CA.

dont forget MANUFACTURING...

grammaton76
06-23-2006, 5:37 PM
As was already said: It is perfectly fine to own the mags if they were posessed prior to 2000.

One point which I didn't see addressed one way or the other - he needs to have possessed them IN CALIFORNIA prior to 2000. If he moved here after 2000 and stumbled across his mags from another state, then he doesn't get to keep them (assembled).

MicronuT
06-23-2006, 7:12 PM
i just heard that the mag police are here