PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Black Ops

Bulleh
11-09-2010, 2:56 PM
Any one picked up the game yet? I just purchased it a few hours ago. Single Player is alright, overall I think it's a decent improvement over Modern Warefare 2 and kick's Medal of Honor's behind.

Spdjunkie
11-09-2010, 2:57 PM
More I Need More !!! . . . . feedback please :D

Maddog5150
11-09-2010, 2:58 PM
I usually hate cod but have cash to waste so I'm waiting in line right now with a line of obnoxious high-school kids.

Bulleh
11-09-2010, 3:10 PM
More I Need More !!! . . . . feedback please :D

Let's see... Well if you need to know if it's worth it, yes. Treyarch did a great job with this game. The more I play the more I love it. The single player has a pretty good story line, but I'm only about an hour into it. I haven't touched Multiplayer yet but I'm sure it will not be a let down. They also brought back Zombie mode, can't wait to play that.

I usually hate cod but have cash to waste so I'm waiting in line right now with a line of obnoxious high-school kids.

Picked mine up from K-mart. I never shop at K-mart unless its for video games on release date. Never lines for games and lots of inventory. I was in and out within 5 minutes... and I picked mine up at about 1:00PM

Colt-45
11-09-2010, 3:16 PM
Everyone says its so much better. In terms of graphics I like MW2 and MW better. This one online seems like I'm playing a PS2 game.

Bulleh
11-09-2010, 3:40 PM
I haven't touched multiplayer yet but the graphics in single player are great!

My favorite part of the game is using explosives to blow off limbs or setting enemies on fire. I tried snipping off arms and legs but doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Marsoc1
11-09-2010, 3:42 PM
playing single player right now, seems to me there way more cut scenes that cutting into gameplay tho...

DavidRSA
11-09-2010, 3:44 PM
Cant wait to try mine. This is the game (MW1) that got me to buy my first AR!!

tacticalcity
11-09-2010, 4:50 PM
Can't wait to try it out. They have some great retro AR stuff in it in addition to modern rifles. Looks like hours, upon hours of fun!

rascalgto
11-09-2010, 5:00 PM
the campaign is good, i got it mostly for zombies

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-09-2010, 6:40 PM
Everyone says its so much better. In terms of graphics I like MW2 and MW better. This one online seems like I'm playing a PS2 game.

the other two modern warfare graphics do seem to be a step up from this one.

so far its not abd. just started campaign. always play that before i go to multi player.

tommyid1
11-09-2010, 6:46 PM
Honestly. Its okay. I thought medal of honor was better especially the online. The graphics etc are better in moh and I like the multiplayer was better. I don't need a bazillion perks etc

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bender152
11-09-2010, 6:51 PM
http://www.tracingcircles.com/pics/carlonduty.jpg

Maddog5150
11-09-2010, 7:41 PM
so far its "meh". Why do they call every single weapon with an optic an XXXX with ACOG. Didnt know there were ACOGs in the 60s. And also didnt know that daddies M16 had 30 round mags. Also didnt know there were M60s with "big bullets" :rolleyes:
I get COD for the same reason I bought "black" for the original Xbox. Bang bang factor but oh so very far from realism.
I want to invent a realistic video where you run the same speeds are real life people, get wounded and when you die in multiplayer, your 70 dollar game fries and you have to go out and buy a new one. That would keep these internet kids from whining about "camping" or people using tactics :D

Cali-Shooter
11-09-2010, 7:54 PM
Love the advertising gig on this game.

"There's a bit of soldier in ALL of us!"

Way to encapsulate the MW stereotype of it's gamers knowing everything about guns, special forces, and combat despite only being 6-12 year old prepubescent children. :cool:

Colt-45
11-09-2010, 10:53 PM

:rofl: nice one

Ergo the Qualmed
11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, I generally enjoy the campaigns of the CoD franchise. MW, MW2, were both fine.

This one...seems totally scripted and linear, focused around "awesome" events and asplosions. Like, every mission seems to involve two minutes of sneaking around, and then 20 minutes of a semi-interactive Michael Bay film :D

So, I sorta stopped playing single player, and went to multi. THIS IS WHERE IT SHINES!

Shotguns actually work beyond 2 feet, and it is overall a very fun experience. I love the large variety of weapons, and the fact that they saw fit to include a PSG, CZ75, Makarov, and most importantly a G11, makes me totally happy. I was disappointed by the KS23...I mean, given the real-world awesomeness of the thing, I was hoping that it would fire iron bars or something, or at least be more effective than it is.

Overall, a fun game though!

Joe
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Great game. I'm loving it.

digi909
11-10-2010, 3:17 AM
I've been playing FPS since the counter-strike era. I skipped WAW but did play MW and MW2. Treyarch did a decent job, the graphics are alright, not mind blowing and the single player is good. I normally play multiplayer but as of right now it is unplayable on PC. Seems as infinity ward and treyarch are mostly focusing on the console audience and leaving PC in the dust. The servers are so laggy its unbearable, I understand its a new game and the servers are overloaded but at the same time that's what a beta is for. I also think the hit markers are off but we will see if they hotfix or patch any of this soon. It's worth the money once all the bugs are fixed.

blackhawk411
11-10-2010, 10:20 PM
With all the negative reviews I'm reading, I'm tempted to go return the damn thing. I still haven't unwrapped it. MW2 set the bar too high...

WILDMAN442
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Think I will stick with MW2 for now... Hardly have the time to play anymore

Justin

digi909
11-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Think I will stick with MW2 for now... Hardly have the time to play anymore

Justin

I wish I could do the same, hackers have taken over MW2 its sad, infinity ward kinda threw their hands up and just left the hackers alone.

Not my video but here is a clip of what PC users are experiencing. VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-NIQnrkwpE) (adult language don't turn up the speakers at work)
I don't know if console users are getting this since the forums are filled with more complaints on "avatar" problems than actual gameplay

Joe
11-11-2010, 1:12 AM
It doesn't lag like that on ps3 at all. But I do wish there was stopping power. It feels a lot like world at war. People just don't die when you shoot them. Unless I'm hosting then the lag is so awesomely in my favor.

The guy in the video needs to calm down. You have to expect a game to have a few issues when the games only been out 1 day. Mw2 had serious issues when it first came out. Same with just about every online game I've ever played.

Bulleh
11-11-2010, 1:28 AM
Yeah, seems like a step down from MW2... but it's different and has its only pros and cons. It's hard to beat MW2, that game was just the best console game I ever played.

p.ro
11-11-2010, 1:31 AM
the commercial is better than the game.

Battlefield Vietnam FTW!

Ergo the Qualmed
11-11-2010, 1:38 AM
Ok, having spent more time with it:

I do not regret the purchase. The campaign was bizarre, to the point that it was entertainment for my friends...basically I would play, and we would laugh at the absurdity of the thing...hell, the interrogation sequences looked like they were out of a SAW movie!

Multiplayer is, in my opinion, excellent. I liked MW/MW2/WAW, and I like this one too. I like that shotguns are more serviceable, and I haven't had many bugs.

The multiplayer create a class/barracks/user pages are FUBAR in my opinion. They seem overly complicated, in terms of menu design.

The Idea of kennedy, nixon, castro, and Macnamara fighting off zombies in the pentagon is beautiful...!

SO: buy it for...well, fun. Laugh at the campaign, love the multiplayer, stand aghast at the zombies.

Colt-45
11-11-2010, 4:02 AM
Yeah, seems like a step down from MW2... but it's different and has its only pros and cons. It's hard to beat MW2, that game was just the best console game I ever played.

I don't understand why people hate on MW2 so bad :confused:

Bobula
11-11-2010, 4:10 AM
in multiplayer it's a bit like putting legos together while wearing boxing gloves.

Dirty506
11-11-2010, 4:37 AM
i feel it was a let down at least not as bad as medal of honor but still a let down all it is is MW and MW2 with new levels and a few new weapons they actually took away some perks. its a good game but i am not impressed of course i will play the hell out of it but i think all video games need to step it up kind of like the first few call of duty's were the same as far as gameplay then MW came out and took it to a whole new level i htink the MW to black ops is another phase and the next phase will be spectacular.

digi909
11-11-2010, 6:39 AM
It doesn't lag like that on ps3 at all.

That's exactly the issue, PC users are having a lag issue and makes the game unplayable for multiplayer. It's a pretty legit complaint.
It's extremely frustrating to say the least, the reason the guy in that video was having such an easy time killing the "morons" as he calls them is because they were lagging just as bad and frozen on the screen. Some spots on the single player campaign even lag, which is how the game was programmed to run its not server problems so changing a server does absolutely nothing.
For now I guess I'll run through the campaign again on veteran and pick up the rest of my achievements. :(

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-11-2010, 7:50 AM
It doesn't lag like that on ps3 at all. But I do wish there was stopping power. It feels a lot like world at war. People just don't die when you shoot them. Unless I'm hosting then the lag is so awesomely in my favor.

The guy in the video needs to calm down. You have to expect a game to have a few issues when the games only been out 1 day. Mw2 had serious issues when it first came out. Same with just about every online game I've ever played.

what......its supposed to be perfect blah blah blah...people are going to find something to complain about. I have had lag issues a couple times. but it usualy stops. if it continues, change lobby.

r08ert209cali
11-11-2010, 9:01 AM
You can play games on pcs. Wtf. Never herd of such a thing. Buy a ps3 and be done.

bigmike82
11-11-2010, 9:47 AM
Meh, I'm less than impressed.

MW2 runs great on my computer. BO...not so much. And the graphics aren't any better....they just didn't code it as well, I think.

Single player is ok...the prison escape mission was pretty cool. And incendiary rounds on the shotgun are uber fun. :)

lehn20
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Played for an hour. Not bad so far, but I like the gameplay of MW2 better.

joe_sun
11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
It's okay, so far it's an interesting story but the focus is on these "wow" scripted moments.

Something that REALLY bothers me is all the tech that didn't exist in the 60's. ACOGs, "masterkey" shotguns, SPAS-12 shotguns, MP-5K, Flat top M-16s, "Khyber Pass" AKMs with triangle folding stocks, Aimpoint sights... give me a break.

Something else I HATE, and it's the same with MW2, is all the Soviet weapons that have ACOGs on them.

donbing
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Just bought the game yesterday for my 10 year old son (and me). Played the zombies for a while then went to Cuba. Wife was sitting there when the interrogation movie started...s bomb and f bombs dropped several x in about 30 seconds. I got the 'what kind of game did you buy for him? lecture. Oh well, boys will be boys.

I'm just learning the xbox controls whereas the kid has been doing the Halo and COD series for a while. He had to come over and heal me a lot. I was squeezing the controls so hard I'm surprised I didn't rip it in half.

Too much of a rook to really give a decent review but it looks like I'm gonna be sneaking downstairs after everyone goes to sleep to practice.

ledman
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I picked this up tuesday but havent had a chance to play it yet on my xbox 360. I love BF bad company 2. That is a fun game to play online with lots of vehicles to drive and fly.

CrippledPidgeon
11-11-2010, 1:54 PM
Any one picked up the game yet? I just purchased it a few hours ago. Single Player is alright, overall I think it's a decent improvement over Modern Warefare 2 and kick's Medal of Honor's behind.

Singleplayer in my mind is kinda "eh." Medal of Honor's singleplayer, while short, was even better than COD4's.

The multiplayer is a lot better than Medal of Honor's, but does it kick MW2's butt? I'm not sure yet. The sound design in Black Ops is pretty crap. MoH's was far far far far far better than any of the CoDs to date.

ke6guj
11-11-2010, 2:08 PM
Singleplayer in my mind is kinda "eh." Medal of Honor's singleplayer, while short, was even better than COD4's.

The multiplayer is a lot better than Medal of Honor's, but does it kick MW2's butt? I'm not sure yet. The sound design in Black Ops is pretty crap. MoH's was far far far far far better than any of the CoDs to date.

maybe how you go about getting into a multiplayer game, but once your are in the game, MOH blows BO out of the water in the graphics and sound. And the game play of MOH is more realistic to me. BO looks like a 5 year old video game with new maps, nothing really new and exciting about it.

xXBigJoeXx
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I wanted to buy this game for my bday but when I told my wife about the Prestige Edition she said grab that instead so we can give it as an X-mas gift to my boys but ended up procrastinating on the preorder and bought a couple lowers instead

Figured I would hit up the midnight release @ Best buy but that didnít work out as my bday party was the night before and I had a few to many drinks :cheers2: , sooo I woke up the next morning with a little bit of a hangover to find out all the Prestige Editions had been sold out and many retailers only carried the regular or hardened version :eek: with the exception of Fry's! Dude said they had 3 left and he could not hold it so I jumped in the ride and got over there just in time to pick up the last bundle package for PS3!! Woot..... XD

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/xxxBigJoexxx/CODBlack-Ops.jpg

I thought the game was not bad and I liked some of the additions but IMO MW2 was way better in terms of graphics and game play. It just had an over all well polished feel and that was because Infinity Ward made MW2 and Treyarch made Black Ops. Dont get me wrong I have been stuck on the game since day one and really enjoy it and feel like its worth the money but I sure hope Infinity Ward gets to make MW3 however with all the drama behind that who knows? I have heard that Activision is working on a new COD series based in the future and space.....

LOL!! I bought the PS3 version :rofl:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/xxxBigJoexxx/carl-of-duty-Blackcops.jpg

adrenaline
11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I set my expectations too high on the graphics side. I expected a much improved MW2 type of rendering. Seems like they took a few steps back in this department and have been saved by the fact that the game features (customizations etc) make it more enjoyable than MW2 (in that respect).

Also, I'm totally in love with Wager Matches. It is such an adrenaline rush when you put your money on the line and go into a match (One in the Chamber!!). The higher the buy in....the more of a rush. ;)

Veggie
11-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, I generally enjoy the campaigns of the CoD franchise. MW, MW2, were both fine.

This one...seems totally scripted and linear, focused around "awesome" events and asplosions. Like, every mission seems to involve two minutes of sneaking around, and then 20 minutes of a semi-interactive Michael Bay film :D

So, I sorta stopped playing single player, and went to multi. THIS IS WHERE IT SHINES!

Shotguns actually work beyond 2 feet, and it is overall a very fun experience. I love the large variety of weapons, and the fact that they saw fit to include a PSG, CZ75, Makarov, and most importantly a G11, makes me totally happy. I was disappointed by the KS23...I mean, given the real-world awesomeness of the thing, I was hoping that it would fire iron bars or something, or at least be more effective than it is.

Overall, a fun game though!

I hate the multi-player. Weapons are ridiculous recoil. MW2 was much better.

And Shotguns are more balanced in MW2 you could kill someone with one shot from a shotgun 10 yards away.

bballwizard05
11-14-2010, 11:56 AM
medal of honor in my opinion is better in every way EXCEPT no zombie mode. I know I know the MOH single player was FREAKING SHORT and that sucked. But the graphics, gameplay, and multiplayer of MOH SPANK black ops. In fact I took black ops back and got moh again.

Antihero47
11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
medal of honor in my opinion is better in every way EXCEPT no zombie mode. I know I know the MOH single player was FREAKING SHORT and that sucked. But the graphics, gameplay, and multiplayer of MOH SPANK black ops. In fact I took black ops back and got moh again.

I'm going to have to agree and say the same thing I posted in the Off Topic thread. I've been playing CoD on PC from the very beginning. I went out and spent some dough to get my machine to top specs because of the hype of Black Ops. I went and purchased MoH after its first patch (it downloaded something).

1. Black Ops. The story line got super weird and I could not stand 'bad guy' voice over and over just yelling at the dude. You get a few hours of game play and about equally as much movie and scripted actions. You seem to really tell this game was developed for consoles through the development process due to some of the random combos you have to press repeatedly and different buttons you have to mash to melee. The weapons sounds sucked pretty badly and not to mention how irritating it was to upgrade to the best and get as poor graphics on high as they gave. Graphics were gritty which is COD'esk but the lack of good textures on jackets and coats killed it. I had to check my settings to make sure they were on the highest a few times. Not to mention how the game got really buggy at times on single player. The recoil on the guns is WAY too much. I was playing regular with the M14 and even while aiming at the VC through irons I was missing and had to take like 5 shots each time. Wow.. I mean going realistic is on thing but come on!

2.Medal of Honor. Story line was pretty good felt more like what should be going on and all that. Granted going around and taking out mortar positions isn't exactly stopping a ICBM from destroying the US but more realistic. The graphics were excellent, i really felt like upgrading to the best shined on this game. The weapon sounds with a sub were deep, sounded perfect. I actually got really into the game. The recoil is progressive, you shoot and its accurate but the sustained fire really starts to cone outwards from point of aim. I dig that. Only issues I had with the game were it was really short and it lacked a little story to push it over the edge.

The multiplayer on PC for Black Ops is useless and with the recoil as it is I doubt it will be fun and object oriented. For MoH its object oriented and 12 vs 12 is really fun. Love you can spawn to the most forward player or back in the base. Spawning needs to be tweaked on team deathmatch as I have spawned next to enemy's. Snipers run rampant on this game in the open levels so you really need to use the sprint and cover to your advantage. Other than that its perfect.

Just my two cents.

Bizcuits
11-14-2010, 2:46 PM
I'm on the fence, I've heard good things about Black Cops and Medal of Honor, but have also heard bad things. Definitely not in the mood to buy both... No time to play both... :cool:

JeffW
11-14-2010, 3:33 PM
single player is good, multiplayer is consistently laggy and buggy.

high_lander
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
OKL can someone tell me how to destroy that rocket? it either falls short or goes high.

JDay
11-15-2010, 3:37 PM
With the last patch for the PC version the cut scenes no longer stutter, still waiting on the next patch so the 3-5 second freezing while in game stops.

http://www.fragland.net/news/comments/24643/

Hey PC gamers:

We are listening to you and we’ve been busy working on updates based on feedback from the community. We have already deployed a number of updates, and there will be many more to come. Stay tuned right here for all the latest info.

LIVE FIXES
11/10
- GameServers.com has bumped sv_maxrate to 25000 across all servers to reduce lag.
- GameServers.com continues to improve official server distribution in various worldwide regions.

11/11- Friends fix for join in progress and Friends tab in server browser.
- Performance improvement for dual and quad core.
- Improved connectivity with Black Ops Rcon tool.

IN PROGRESS
- GPU hitching on certain graphics cards.
- Incomplete server browser results.
- Improvements to Quickmatch joins (results with better ping and reduced lag).
- Zombies "The game session is no longer available" error.

Once that is fixed I'll be happy, no reason I should have any freezing with this GPU (GTX 460), a quad core Phenom II and 2GB of RAM.

digi909
11-15-2010, 3:51 PM
even if they patch it, it still doesn't have the same options console users have, if we play with friends they are all scattered across the board, we normally end up playing against them. Also we cant vote maps like you can on console. It's a totally different experience from console to pc and that's sad.

Joe
11-15-2010, 9:59 PM
I set my expectations too high on the graphics side. I expected a much improved MW2 type of rendering. Seems like they took a few steps back in this department and have been saved by the fact that the game features (customizations etc) make it more enjoyable than MW2 (in that respect).

Also, I'm totally in love with Wager Matches. It is such an adrenaline rush when you put your money on the line and go into a match (One in the Chamber!!). The higher the buy in....the more of a rush. ;)

I completely agree with your post. Wager matches are the best cause they actually make me nervous. Put 10k on the line and have fun :)

Joe
11-17-2010, 2:41 PM
Decided to play with the video editor. Its pretty cool. Here's an upload from "one in the chamber" wager match I played last night.

imuROKTqi_U

Nick1236
11-17-2010, 2:46 PM
Decided to play with the video editor. Its pretty cool. Here's an upload from "one in the chamber" wager match I played last night.

imuROKTqi_U

Glad I didnt buy it. nice video thanks.

tacticalcity
11-17-2010, 2:51 PM
I am completely addicted, as I suspected I would be.

But the bogus guns piss me off. There are so many weapons in the game that did not exist back then. It would have been so much more enjoyable if they did their research and just included real weapon systems from that time frame instead of including things invented many, many years later.

only10x
11-17-2010, 3:52 PM
looks like the graphic are slightly better than DOOM on windows 95 :(

Joe
11-18-2010, 3:20 AM
looks like the graphic are slightly better than DOOM on windows 95 :(

Thats just because it loses a LOT of the detail when you upload to youtube.

Joe
11-18-2010, 3:22 AM
More from a few games with friends tonight

J_4RfVLb4ag

vLg6dzrghZE

DaveFJ80
11-18-2010, 6:00 PM
I love playing the COD games on PS3, especially online because I'm either good, or like to mess with people on my team :p

Used to play MW2 online all the time, but the baby came and my PS3 got the YLOD and died, I haven't had the time or ambition to get another one.... yet.

mdouglas1980
11-18-2010, 7:10 PM
Zombie mode is AWESOME!!!! I haven't even touched the campaign yet lol....

dixieD
11-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the upgrade and customization capability of the new multiplayer game, and the fact that it hasn't been hacked yet. The campaign story could be better.

My peeve is that when the M14 or FAL are suppressed it takes three shots to the chest to kill. The M16 seems more powerful than the M14 or FAL, which is due to the three round burst and the same three shots to kill.

Cbr1000Rider
11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
The 1st player rocked my socks. I felt in the game and in some screaming action 90% of the game.. compared to most games where you are only mesmerized for like 50% of the game. Seriously there always seemed to be some crazy shyt happening. Whether it be flying a helicopter.. wielding a machine gun mowing people down.. jumping roofs or trains..etc. Beat the game in 2 sessions.

Have not played multiplayer yet.

SnWnMe
11-25-2010, 6:45 PM
I can forgive the drop in graphic details. I understand that console hardware is fixed and you can't get something for nothing. All the gun, face, clothing etc customizations eat processing power and this probably explains the drop in graphic quality.