PDA

View Full Version : ok now that that the drama is over i have just one question...mosin scope mount

Haggar85
11-09-2010, 12:56 PM
if i had some nuts hanging on the wall would they be walnuts?
-Rudy Ray Moore (aka Dolemite)
dolemite would put things back in line if he were here....
glad the dramas over, so on to my question. i need some thing for a hunt,a mosin mount. no one panic, i dont want to mod the rifle permanently. there are weaver mounts, some people say they are crap other say they are fine. any one know of any weavers that are not total crap or made with slave labor by chicoms?
basically what i am going to do is put it on my m44 with a 4 power scope, not Russian or war period, but i have been eyeballing some old Bushnell scopes that are made in japan. they seems to be pretty good quality.im steering clear of evilbay cause that all in one kit for mosins supposedly smells like fish, so says a couple of buyers. it just chinese garbage and not really some thing i was if it just going to break on me.
what i need it for is boar hunting and a reasonable distance, more that what i think i could do with just my eyeballs.
any ideas?

sevensix2x51
11-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, if you can get it off without breaking anything, the rear sight is generaaly mounted on a 3/8 dovetail. But I believe they are usually pinned and soldered, iirc...

Milsurp Collector
11-09-2010, 1:06 PM
Accumounts no-gunsmith mount http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/Russian/m44_m38.htm

Use as a scout scope mount, or buy a bent bolt from The Boltman for $55 http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html so you can keep your original bolt unaltered and use a regular scope.

Haggar85
11-09-2010, 1:07 PM
i got tools so im not attacking the sight like a monkey with a hammer. pinned and soldered though, im not sure that would be an option. iirc i heard that was a weaver that stayed inplace with teh pin from teh sight and a spring.but that could be a fable.

Peter.Steele
11-09-2010, 1:13 PM
i got tools so im not attacking the sight like a monkey with a hammer. pinned and soldered though, im not sure that would be an option. iirc i heard that was a weaver that stayed inplace with teh pin from teh sight and a spring.but that could be a fable.

Fable? Nah, they exist, but they're pretty much crap.

http://milsurpshooter.net/forums/116

Darrell's is the way to go, from what I hear on gunboards.com, if you want a no-gunsmith solution, and don't want to mess with the pin and solder.

That said, I'm also hearing that a lot of Mosins didn't get the silver solder, just the pins. I think this mostly applies to the wartime production, but I don't know for sure.

sevensix2x51
11-09-2010, 1:18 PM

The pinned and soldered part pretty much neccesitates the monkey with a hammer part... :D

Datamancer
11-09-2010, 2:31 PM
Well, if you can get it off without breaking anything, the rear sight is generaaly mounted on a 3/8 dovetail. But I believe they are usually pinned and soldered, iirc...

I think that's just on the 91/30ish rifles.

-~D~-

trautert
11-09-2010, 2:58 PM
Go with a Darrell's mount and never look back.

Either go to milsurpshooter.net and get ordering instructions for a new one from Darrell (might take a little while, he's been fighting medical problems lately) or put a WTB post on the Trader Board for a used one.

There is a new model and an old one. Both work fine, newer is less complicated.

I have them all every MN model I have (M38, M44, M91/30, M59, Finn M39) and on Swiss K31's as well. I have been getting by with cheap Chinese NcStar fixed power scopes in 4x, but one has an older Bushness 6x pistol scope that has been good also.

Tom

Haggar85
11-10-2010, 8:07 AM
thanks for the info :)

Wildeman_13
11-10-2010, 8:16 AM
Accumounts no-gunsmith mount http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/Russian/m44_m38.htm

Use as a scout scope mount, or buy a bent bolt from The Boltman for $55 http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html so you can keep your original bolt unaltered and use a regular scope.

Be careful with these types of mounts. I put one on my 91/30 and thought I was good to go. Until I was sighting in the scope and kept loosing the zero. These mounts while nice in that you don't have to monkey around with a lot of pins and such, don't seem to hold very solid. At least mine didn't. I do not recall the brand tho, so there might be good ones out there. That and it was on a 91/30 so the mount plate might be totally differnet on the M44's. Just make sure you get it tight and level and snug. Much cheaper than tapping the receiver for a "real" mount.

Haggar85
11-10-2010, 8:23 AM
yeah if i was going to get any thing that was drilled and tapped it would be from RGuns....i except no substitute. i will convert it back to the regular sights after this hunt is over