PDA

View Full Version : DROS mess up

ghettoshecky
06-20-2006, 6:33 PM
I recently turned 21 and I bought a Springfield XD9, I bought it from Ironsights in Oceanside, but they messed up. They mispelled my name on the DROS when they typed into the computer and I asked the person selling it to me if that was okay. They told me yes since my DL number is on. They put "Richard" (won't say my real first name), but my real concern is that being that I'm Asian and they are a grip of my surname out there and I'm sure there is a Richard with the same last name out there in Cali, will this cause problems in the future? Should he have resubmitted the DROs like I wanted to, or was he being a lazy *** and probably didn't know wth he was talking about. This is a bigger concern for me because I am leaving monday out of the country for two months and I'm picking up my gun on sunday. Even though it wasn't a good idea to buy right before I'm leaving I really wanted to buy a gun on my birthday. So does anyone have any input on this?

JPglee1
06-20-2006, 6:46 PM
I recently turned 21 and I bought a Springfield XD9, I bought it from Ironsights in Oceanside, but they messed up. They mispelled my name on the DROS when they typed into the computer and I asked the person selling it to me if that was okay. They told me yes since my DL number is on. They put "Richard" (won't say my real first name), but my real concern is that being that I'm Asian and they are a grip of my surname out there and I'm sure there is a Richard with the same last name out there in Cali, will this cause problems in the future? Should he have resubmitted the DROs like I wanted to, or was he being a lazy *** and probably didn't know wth he was talking about. This is a bigger concern for me because I am leaving monday out of the country for two months and I'm picking up my gun on sunday. Even though it wasn't a good idea to buy right before I'm leaving I really wanted to buy a gun on my birthday. So does anyone have any input on this?

Calm down Mr. Nguyen, you can have the form updated by DOJ... Your DL # and SSN is on the DROS form, correct? If so I wouldn't stress out over it.

J

Henry47
06-20-2006, 6:48 PM
Calm down Mr. Nguyen, you can have the form updated by DOJ... Your DL # and SSN is on the DROS form, correct? If so I wouldn't stress out over it.

J

how'd you come to the conclusion that his last name was Nguyen?

ghettoshecky
06-20-2006, 6:51 PM

J

Nguyen??? where da heck do you live Westminister??? ne wayz so does that mean I can call the DOJ? and i didn't put my social cuz thats optional.

JPglee1
06-20-2006, 6:56 PM
how'd you come to the conclusion that his last name was Nguyen?

Being a smart-arse because he said he had a common asian last name... just taking a wild guess.

No disrespect meant, trying to be funny more than anything :D

J

JPglee1
06-20-2006, 6:59 PM
Nguyen??? where da heck do you live Westminister??? ne wayz so does that mean I can call the DOJ? and i didn't put my social cuz thats optional.

Yah just call the DOJ... :)

J

Matt P
06-20-2006, 8:06 PM
DOJ has a form dealers can use to change information on a DROS. I believe its called a DROS Correction sheet. You can only change one item on the DROS, otherwise, it has to be re-submitted.
Contact the FFL/Gun Dealer.. You have x amount of days to make corrections on the DROS online, before you have to submit any correction form.
Its the Dealers responsibility to insure the information is complete and accurate.
I would encourage you to make every effort to amke the info DOJ has on you as complete as possible. Any potential in-accurcy could create confusion with LE, prompting them to possibly take your weapon, with you having to prove who you are above and beyond.
Trust me, I have seen the havoc errors have caused with clients in the past.
Insure the info is correct.

xenophobe
06-20-2006, 9:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. YOU can't get in trouble... the dealer could get scolded by the DOJ, but that wouldn't even happen.

You can't call the DOJ and have them correct it.

The dealer would be the one who would need to submit the change... that can be easily done on the MCI Entry Screen, or on a form.

SSN is not on a DROS.

tcrpe
06-21-2006, 9:58 AM
DOJ has a form dealers can use to change information on a DROS.

They can do it online.

Not doing it is just plain lazy.

The only thing they can't change is the number of guns.

glen avon
06-21-2006, 10:12 AM
ghettoshecky, are you mad b/c your name is Richard, but they used "D ick"? :D

rorschach
06-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Nguyen??? where da heck do you live Westminister???

ROTFLMAO!!!

Anyone who knows Westminster or Garden Grove knows!!
Seriously, kudos to you sheck!! On my 21st birthday at 9AM in the morning, I was waiting at for the gunshop to open and bought a brand new HK USP45.

Dont sweat your DROS thing.

tenpercentfirearms
06-21-2006, 5:20 PM
I made a mistake on a customer's last name once. I let it ride. Guess what happened? Nothing. I gave him his gun at the end of the 10 days and that was that. Since then he has bought more guns. I think your DL # is more important than anything else. So don't sweat it.

ghettoshecky
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
ghettoshecky, are you mad b/c your name is Richard, but they used "D ick"? :D

I said Richard was not my name....dick:rolleyes:

tpliquid1
06-22-2006, 8:55 AM
its pronounced new-gen

rorschach
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Long time ago in bootcamp, one of our jdi's, who had to have been from Arkansas pronounced it New-guy-in. "Hurry up NewGuyIn, theres no diddyboppin' here!!!" I've also heard it pronounced "Win"

mikehaas
06-22-2006, 6:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. YOU can't get in trouble... the dealer could get scolded by the DOJ, but that wouldn't even happen.

Not sure about this. My understanding that submitting incorrect info on a DROS potentially opens the buyer to prosecution for lying on a federal form, a felony. If the same mistake is done on the state form, a second felony (lying on a state form) could come into play. And if the mistake has to do with a prohibited class question, a third felony, trying to purchase a gun illegally, may become an issue.

BTW, in CA (only) you can now do a "background check pre-check" thanks to NRA - no gun purchase necessary. In 2003, NRA passed SB 255 (Ducheny-D), a Landmark "First in the Nation" Background Check Law - (Signed by Governor Gray Davis!). The provisions of SB255 allow persons to request a State and Federal background check to determine their legal status for purchasing firearms without risking the violation of State and Federal laws in the process (no gun purchase involved). Senate Bill 255 was long overdue (mostly because of old forgotten domestic situations popping up as more state computers become connected) and allows a person to comply with State and Federal laws without becoming a victim of inaccurate government records or bureaucracy.

Because once that happens, it's a minimum $5000 retainer with an RKBA attorney to clear it up. And that's the BEST outcome.

I try to be very accurate with DROS answers.

Mike

tenpercentfirearms
06-22-2006, 7:17 PM
Mike is very careful about his legal liability, but you don't have anything to worry about. Is your name spelled right on the 4473? Then if anything ever comes of it you say, "I didn't notice he spelled my name on the DROS form when I signed it. Sorry." As long as your DOB and DL # are correct, they most likely won't worry about it unless you do something to piss them off and you really, really get their attention. Just play dumb and don't sweat it.

And don't forget to tell us how it goes before you take off or after you get there.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
06-23-2006, 5:51 PM
its pronounced new-gen
From the San Leandro area, I was taught that it was pronounced new-yen. sort of.

ghettoshecky
06-24-2006, 12:25 AM
boy i'm like freaking out as I'm about to leave on Monday and hearing what Haas said, but I guess people are confused. For clarification I filled out the hard copy forms and signed them. They were not mispelled on the forms, but when the FFL entered my name on the computer screen he mispelled it and he mispelled it on the Invoice( i don't think invoice matters because he seems okay with it and I bought using a credit card). I don't know if the FFL did this, but I've heard they slide your DL, so therefore it will make it okay.

kantstudien
06-24-2006, 1:19 AM
Not sure about this. My understanding that submitting incorrect info on a DROS potentially opens the buyer to prosecution for lying on a federal form, a felony. If the same mistake is done on the state form, a second felony (lying on a state form) could come into play.

The dealer record of sale (DROS) is a state form, not a federal one. The buyer is supposed to double-check his DROS to make sure the above mentioned information is correct before signing. Common sense.

If something is spelled wrong, white out can be used. Or else one can simply review a DROS and submit corrections through the MCI DROS system. Some information cannot be changed after it is submitted (unless you wish to cancel a DROS, pay an extra $25, and re-do it), and long gun DROSes are deleted from the system after ten days, so there is no record of the purchaser, only that a DROS was done on a particular date for a particular number of long guns for someone.

If you lie on the 4473 (federal form), you can be charged with perjury. You could also be charged with perjury for signing a safe affidavit if you really do not own a safe. But those instances are a little different from having someone submit your name as "Jon" instead of "John" on the DROS.

Turbinator
06-25-2006, 8:55 AM
For CA DROS, I'm starting to wonder if they even look at the forms or the data submitted.

I moved awhile back, but still had my old address on my CDL. I was too lazy to change it, and my old address was with my parents, so technically I could still claim that I lived there, even though all my bills and such were sent elsewhere. Then, lame CA enacted the "show proof of residency law" - but I still didn't change my CDL address to match that of my PG&E billing.

One day, a good deal came up on a handgun that I just had to buy, so I went in for a PPT. I was nervous - my proof of residency had a different address than my state issued ID. Uh oh! As the guy worked the paperwork to get the PPT started, he swiped my CDL on the computer and it came up with my old address. I don't think he noticed or cared that my proof of residency had a different address, and being nervous that maybe it's only checked at the clerk level and not higher, I kept quiet. 10 days later, I had my item, no problems.

Eventually I did submit a DMV change of address form but the goofy thing is that I never received an acknowledgement that they recorded my address change; and, to top it off, I've moved again since then, so now I've got a hodgepodge of information again - new bills, old address tied to my CDL.

I'm not going to worry about it - two DROS's later, nothing's ever been held up for me.

Turby

tenpercentfirearms
06-25-2006, 9:18 AM
One day, a good deal came up on a handgun that I just had to buy, so I went in for a PPT. I was nervous - my proof of residency had a different address than my state issued ID. Uh oh! As the guy worked the paperwork to get the PPT started, he swiped my CDL on the computer and it came up with my old address. I don't think he noticed or cared that my proof of residency had a different address, and being nervous that maybe it's only checked at the clerk level and not higher, I kept quiet. 10 days later, I had my item, no problems.That is because when that guy gets audited he is going to get reamed. Your proof of residency copy goes no further than the gun shop. It is the dealer's responsibility to check and make sure they match. He should have not delivered your handgun and if he gets audited and the DOJ notices, he will get dinged for it.

As far as DROS goes, all DROS knows is what we put in it. When you swipe the card the info doesn't go directly to the state, it just gets transposed into the form is all and then once you hit submit then it goes to the state.

ghettoshecky
06-25-2006, 11:42 PM
anyways I went to go pick up my gun today, and found out the guy did put it right in the computer, apparently he slides the CADL and it picks up the info. I guess I must have misunderstood him when I told him how he spelled my name wrong on the invoice and he said it's alrite (i thought he meant he spelled it wrong on the computer too). end of that story

Turbinator
06-26-2006, 6:51 AM
That is because when that guy gets audited he is going to get reamed. Your proof of residency copy goes no further than the gun shop. It is the dealer's responsibility to check and make sure they match. He should have not delivered your handgun and if he gets audited and the DOJ notices, he will get dinged for it.

Thanks for the comments. For the record, this happened with a local shop, not with any of the more knowledgeable and diligent local FFL holders in the area. This local shop has been known to make some screwups from time to time - I won't mention the name but they've been bashed here before.

Turby