PDA

View Full Version : Solution for my crappy Motorola 2210 DSL modem

Skidmark
11-08-2010, 7:31 PM
This is the DSL modem ATT gives out by default. Mine has been dropping the DSL connection several times a day, but it reconnects just fine when I cycle power on the dang thing. I compared tales of woe online, and realized a common culprit is overheating, due to very poor ventilation, and no fan. My solution, working great so far, is to turn the thing on its side, so the heat can pour out of the vents on the underside. It runs cooler now, at least to the touch.

Some people go so far as to cut a hole on top, and install a fan to blow air onto the circuits. I might try that, too. Anyone else experience trouble with these modems?

nick
11-08-2010, 7:50 PM
Get another modem. The D-link ones are decent. My provider (DSLExtreme) sends them when customers have issues with the modems they normally send out (would be nice if they sent them out from the get-go, but no...).

You can also call AT&T and ask them to replace it. Better yet, replace AT&T.

Oshiat
11-08-2010, 8:41 PM
The 2wire Home Portals are awesome DSL modems. If I hadn't given my away already I would have offered it up. I switched to cable so didnt need it. I have been very happy with them.

JDay
11-09-2010, 3:26 AM
Are you using a router? If you are you should disable the PPPoE on the modem and have your router login to it. I did that when I had AT&T and the disconnects stopped.

brianinca
11-09-2010, 5:34 AM
>>>
You can also call AT&T and ask them to replace it.
>>>

This, had a remote client site down for 3 days until AT&T's contractor came out and swapped the modem to a SpeedStream. That's the only Motorola unit I've seen in maybe 60-70 locations, must not have used them very long, now I see why.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Skidmark
11-09-2010, 9:47 AM
Are you using a router? If you are you should disable the PPPoE on the modem and have your router login to it. I did that when I had AT&T and the disconnects stopped.

Yup, I have the LinkSys handle the PPPoE logon. But the modem took another dump this morning.

After 55 minutes on the phone, much of that on hold, ATT tech support just agreed to send me a new modem. The serial number of the one I have indicates it's defective... now why couldn't they have sent out new modems to everyone with a defective unit, since they have a list of bad serial numbers? :mad:

Anyway, I get to try the replacement. If it fails, too, I'll escalate for better hardware.

shoupdawg
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
We just switched to AT&T and aside from taking a couple of days to fully provision, we've enjoyed the extra speed and cheaper cost. My g/f researched and I bought an ActionTec. No problems at all.

otteray
11-12-2010, 5:03 PM
My AT&T modem is failing to connect intermittently.
I called, told them that I already unplugged, replugged at all the jacks and ports and I am positive it is a faulty modem. I was told that a new one will be here Mon. or Tues. along with a new power supply. Apparently, the power supply can cause modem instability, too.

Skidmark
11-12-2010, 6:34 PM
My AT&T modem is failing to connect intermittently.
I called, told them that I already unplugged, replugged at all the jacks and ports and I am positive it is a faulty modem. I was told that a new one will be here Mon. or Tues. along with a new power supply. Apparently, the power supply can cause modem instability, too.

Thanks for the tip on power supply. I have the new one, its serial number has 12 digits... the old one had eight. Anyway, it works fine, in bridged mode, through my LinkSys WRT54GL router. I'm keeping it on its side, too, to help the heat dissipate.