PDA

View Full Version : gun safes in manufactured home

sea96
11-08-2010, 7:11 PM
I will soon be moving into a 2005 manufactured home, I have two 25"x30" safes weighing approx 1200 lbs total weight each, does anyone here have any experience or ideas?, I'm concerned if the floor will be strong enough to support the weight

bsg
11-09-2010, 5:33 PM
curious to know what safes you have; very heavy safes for the width and depth you give. are you talking "loaded" safes or "unloaded" safes?

IntoForever
11-09-2010, 5:48 PM
Maybe find the steel beams underneath and place a safe over the beams? Lay down some thick/wide plywood to help displace weight? Try to place the safes as far apart as possible? Be glad you're not trying to put them in an old 60's manufactured house, those things are not built to any code.

Curtis
11-09-2010, 9:53 PM
Maybe find the steel beams underneath and place a safe over the beams? Lay down some thick/wide plywood to help displace weight? Try to place the safes as far apart as possible? Be glad you're not trying to put them in an old 60's manufactured house, those things are not built to any code.

This is the answer.

badreligion
11-10-2010, 4:33 AM
Buying or Renting? Raised on jacks or flush with the founation? Dirt, concrete, asfault? Access underneath?

Basically you need to put more material under the area where your safes will be to prevent the floor from either sagging or the safes crashing through. You could laminate wood to the existing floor joists. Add I beams on Jacks to support the floor and take the load. Cut open the floor and pour a concrete block (don't laugh helped a friend do this on his 100 year old craftsman house). What you find underneath and what you do will determine how well your floor will take that kind of weight. You will probably need several sheets of 3/4" ply wood just to be able to more your safes to their final resting place.

You really need to think about the exact location of your safes as the floor and anything underneath will determine how well you c an support and anchor them.

Tallestsniper
11-10-2010, 9:35 AM
I know a guy who has one in his Mobile home from 1963. He doesn't store any ammo or loaded magazines in it, those are in steel ammo containers in seperate location. Is it a double wide or single? Eitherway, I reccomend placeing them in opposite corners of furtherst back room, building a ghostwall 4 feet from the safe door, then store all gear, ammo, vests, ICSH and WTSHTF supplys between them, and put a dresser on hidden wheels infront of the door. That way, when you need your gear, you move the dresser with ease, open the hidden door, and walk into your very own WR (weapons room). Put the safes over the thickest plywood you can get, full sheets of it, and attach it to the floor, then build the ghostwall after it is all drilled to the ground. Above all, have fun with it :D

sea96
11-10-2010, 3:11 PM
its a 2005 triple wide on a raised foundation,the safe weights are total safe&contents, manufacturer says home has 3/4 plywood floor, not particleboard, cressdeck, or chipboard,

papichulo
11-10-2010, 8:15 PM
this

[QUOTE= Cut open the floor and pour a concrete block (don't laugh helped a friend do this on his 100 year old craftsman house). What you find underneath and what you do will determine how well your floor will take that kind of weight. You will probably need several sheets of 3/4" ply wood just to be able to more your safes to their final resting place.

You really need to think about the exact location of your safes as the floor and anything underneath will determine how well you c an support and anchor them.[/QUOTE]

Argonaut
11-10-2010, 9:55 PM
My wife is a structural engineer, has designed several reinforced floors for safes, we have bought sold and moved many mobile homes through the years. We re-set up nearly an entire mobile home park after the Northridge quake in Simi Valley. If it is a typical raised (Pier and jack) mounted home It would not be too much trouble to install a few more jacks directly under the floor where the safe will sit and maybe reinforces the actual floor under it as well. I would be worried about moving it across the unreinforced floor to get it where you want it. My safe has small hard wheels and weighs 1800 lbs (it is a real Mosler safe) so the small footprint from the wheels is problematic. If yours sits flat on the floor it distributes the weight better. I would buy some heavy (1"?) plywood sheets that you can lay down in front of the dolly as you move it. Leave them as wide as you can to distribute the weight on the floor as the safe moves across it. Good luck, There is a broad range of quality in mobile homes.