PDA

View Full Version : Who's Packin'?

JAFGO
06-19-2006, 9:01 PM
A small article from the local news on CCW stats. From http://www.times-standard.com/fastsearchresults/ci_3952555

Who's packin'?
Chris Durant The Times-Standard

Hundreds of county residents have concealed weapons permits

More than 1,000 Humboldt County residents are legally permitted to carry a handgun on their person or in their vehicle.

According to numbers from the California Department of Justice, 1,108 concealed weapons permits were issued in the county in 2004, the last year for which figures were available.

”We average about 1,000 to 1,100 every year,” said Humboldt County Sheriff's Lt. Michael Thomas, who handles the applications for the department.

The applications for the entire county are handled by the Sheriff's Department and the process has a number of steps.

Permits are valid for two years and cost $163. When a permit is renewed, the fee is $70 and there is no second interview.

A total of three firearms can be covered under one permit. Once the three weapons are listed they cannot be changed until the renewal process. The serial numbers on the guns must be verified before the application process can be completed.

Documentation on the application -- proving the applicant finished a firearms class during which at least 50 rounds were fired from each handgun -- must also be provided. A list of approved classes is attached to the application. Applicants must qualify every two years, with a requirement of 25 rounds shot from each weapon.

After the paperwork is completed, the interview process begins.

A lengthy and thorough background check on the applicant is run and there's also a one-on-one interview -- “To get an impression of them,” Thomas said. “To make sure they aren't 'out there'.”

A list of felonies and misdemeanors listed by the state will automatically warrant a denial if an applicant is found to have been convicted of any one of 55 crimes.

These convictions include a felony, someone found by a court to be dangerous to others because of mental illness and willfully violating a domestic protective order.

There's also a list of 12 federal categories that would earn a denial on an application, like anyone who has been convicted of a crime and was sentenced to more than one year in prison, someone under indictment for a crime punishable by more than a year in prison and anyone who's a fugitive from justice.

”It's rare for people with those types of backgrounds to even get that far,” Thomas said.

Thomas said people in remote areas, where a law enforcement response can take up to a half hour or longer, list their reason for the permit as self-defense.

”They say, 'We know law enforcement is a long way from us,'” Thomas said. “It's a peace of mind for them, a way to defend themselves.”

Thomas said he processes anywhere from three to nine applications a week. Less than 10 applications are turned down every year.

According to the DOJ statistics, Del Norte County had 171 permits, Siskiyou County had 421 permits, Trinity County had 412 permits and Mendocino County had 1,247 permits.

The average number of concealed weapons permits per county is 732.

The more urban counties may have more residents, but that's not reflected in its concealed weapons permits. San Francisco County had 10 permits in 2004, Alameda County had 192 and Sacramento County had 609 permits.

California counties with the most concealed weapons permits issued in 2004

* Kern, 4,034

* Fresno, 2,694

* Shasta, 2,685

* Tulare, 2,653

* San Bernardino, 2,592

* San Diego, 1,703

* Butte, 1,674

* Los Angeles, 1,626

* El Dorado, 1,312

* Orange, 1,287

Mark in Eureka
06-19-2006, 9:15 PM
Read that. Hope more people apply because of this article. Have been a member of the club since about 1983.

antarius
06-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Member since 2005. =]

Pulsar
06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
I've been thinking about heading into town and applying, but I'm so strapped for cash right now I can't really afford the permit or the classes, woah is me the poor college student :p That, and I want to get a nice snub nosed revolver as my "I need something small" gun. I think it would compliment nicely my 1911 and my CZ-75D.

50 Freak
06-20-2006, 1:08 AM
Member since 2003

TEX1966
06-20-2006, 7:12 PM
Member since 2000.