PDA

View Full Version : Cash and Carry question

IrishPirate
11-08-2010, 2:44 PM
It was recently pointed out to me that C&R rifles are cash and carry in CA when buying from a private party. I'm guessing that is not the case for C&R rifles that have been logged into an 01FFL's inventory correct? Also, while it doesn't say anything about shotguns, I'm assuming it covers those as well?

CSACANNONEER
11-08-2010, 2:47 PM
Shotguns are long guns. +50 years old is GTG. You are right about the FFL thing. If you are buying a C&R from an 01 or 07 FFL (and do not have a FFL of your own) you will have to DROS it and wait ten days. I could not care less about the wait, I just don't like paying for DROSes.

Interloper
11-08-2010, 3:58 PM
Any long gun over fifty years old is cash and carry between non-licensed or C&R parties (FFL03). Anything going through an in state FFL01 still has to DROS, sadly.

IrishPirate
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM

are you limited in the number of cash and carry you can buy each year, or just in the amount you can sell?

paul0660
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
AND, the cash and carry does not have to be face to face. There is no requirement that the transaction be done in person. The money, and the firearm, can be mailed.

Ricky-Ray
11-10-2010, 4:46 PM
So let's say for example I bought a Mosin from Big 5. It would be DROS'd but if I decide to sell it to somebody I can just do the cash and carry. Wouldn't DOJ still have on my records that I bought a Mosin?

paul0660
11-10-2010, 4:53 PM
Yes, and yes. Get a copy of the buyers DL and do a bill of sale. You can then file a form that states the firearm is no longer in your possession.

mdouglas1980
11-10-2010, 5:03 PM
Yes, and yes. Get a copy of the buyers DL and do a bill of sale. You can then file a form that states the firearm is no longer in your possession.

Yes but there's no registration for long guns in CA though... When you DROS a long gun it just says "long gun" or "rifle". I didn't think they took down any info on the DROS other than your info and that you bought a long gun. This is why they can't start a DROS with handgun until the dealer actually has it since they need the make/model of the gun and the serial number.

Edit: In addition to the Bill of Sale I would also write up a statement that says they are not prohibited from owning firearms in any way as well. Have them sign it and date it as well

Something like "I "blank" do hereby state that I am not a felon nor prohibited from buying/owning a firearm(s) in the state of CA.
Or something like that. ^

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
...Wouldn't DOJ still have on my records that I bought a Mosin?

No, they would not. They only keep records of handguns, assault weapons, 50 BMG rifles and firearms that your voluntarily register.

microwaveguy
11-11-2010, 7:00 AM
AND, the cash and carry does not have to be face to face. There is no requirement that the transaction be done in person. The money, and the firearm, can be mailed.

Just to be 100% clear here ...... it can be mailed to any non prohibited person within the state of Ca. Out of state still requires an FFL 01 for the transfer.