PDA

View Full Version : Can an FFL import an off list gun?

hill billy
11-08-2010, 8:53 AM
Can a dealer import an off list gun and have it sit on their books as long as it's not sold to a non exempt person? I am reasonably sure I can but I do very little dealing and want to be sure.

rromeo
11-08-2010, 8:58 AM
Are you asking if dealers can sell off list guns to exempt individuals? Yes.

hill billy
11-08-2010, 8:59 AM
More or less.

yzernie
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
An FFL may import off-roster handguns but, as you know it must be sold to a roster exempt person. If you choose, you could keep it on your books indefinately.

CSACANNONEER
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I was told by a local FFL that the DOJ told him that he could order and transfer off roster handguns to himself.

spencerhut
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm new to this, but I thought I read when an FFL shunts down all the guns (including off list) can be transferred to the FFL. No roster, no 1 in 30 days. I'll let you know in about 30 years when I shut my business down. :chris:

halifax
11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I was told by a local FFL that the DOJ told him that he could order and transfer off roster handguns to himself.

How would that work in the DROS software if the FFL was going to make the off-roster handgun his own?

CSACANNONEER
11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
How would that work in the DROS software if the FFL was going to make the off-roster handgun his own?

That's a good question. We didn't go that deeply into it.

dachan
11-08-2010, 4:50 PM

Can anyone verify this? It would be great if true, but doubtful. No where in the PC does it state FFL's, dealers, etc. are exempt from the roster for their private collection. Right now the best we can do is hold it in inventory indefintely, but use it whenever we want, since we are allowed to "test" inventory.

CA FFL's don't use the DROS software when transfering a firearm from inventory to their private collection. Just an Op-law submission for handguns, nothing for long guns.

halifax
11-08-2010, 5:11 PM
CA FFL's don't use the DROS software when transfering a firearm from inventory to their private collection. Just an Op-law submission for handguns, nothing for long guns.

I do, when I want a handgun registered to me. Seemed easier and quicker. But if it means I can go un-rostered, I'll gladly do the oplaw. :party:

jtmkinsd
11-08-2010, 6:05 PM
Sorry guys...we are just as bound by the roster as any other joe blow when it comes to off-roster guns. As an FFL, if I go into another store to buy an off-roster handgun, could I get one? There's your answer...I have no exemption. Transferring "unsafe" handguns to my personal book from my bound book??? I wouldn't.

dachan
11-08-2010, 6:41 PM
I do, when I want a handgun registered to me. Seemed easier and quicker. But if it means I can go un-rostered, I'll gladly do the oplaw. :party:

Oplaw is the registration, just like for a new resident or an estate transfer. It "registers" that make/model/sn to you.

tenpercentfirearms
11-08-2010, 6:59 PM

You are going to have to back that one up with PC. All handguns sold by you at your shop go on a DROS, period. Personal firearms for you must be DROSed to you. There is no exception.

With that being said, there is no exception for FFLs for DROSing personal guns. You can keep the firearm in your shop inventory indefinitely. Now the interesting thing is what would the coppers do if you had one put on your CCW? As company property, you can take it on and off site for demonstration and selling purposes at will as long as you don't give it to anyone else. So an off roster handgun on your CCW should in theory be legit. Just don't DROS it into your name as that would be illegal.

Research that one some more though. I haven't thought it through that hard. I just tend to buy off-roster guns from cops so I can have them DROSed in my name. It is amazing how many cops buy guns they can't afford and have to turn around and sell after only putting a minimal number of rounds through them.

TripleT
11-09-2010, 7:51 AM
If an oplaw would work that would be a nice trick but as Wes has said and I have confirmed with BOF, handguns going into personal inventory must be dros'd. (not unusual that somebody would get a different answer, in fact that is typical) I have always assumed that a CCW firearm must be registered, ie through dros or oplaw, to the CCW holder. I was told by my CCW instructor to make sure that any weapon added to my CCW is registered to me. FUD or myth ? I know the local jurisdiction does a background through the DOJ on the applicant. I'm not sure what happens to the firearms that are submitted. Somebody once raised the issue of a husband and wife carrying the same firearms if they both have a CCW. Don't recall what the answer was / is. I would like to be able to add an inventory, off roster weapon to my CCW but I'm not going to be the guiney pig...

kemasa
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I seem to recall reading that a FFL can transfer a non-list firearm if the firearm is for the exclusive use in the business, but I can not find that section again. There are some exceptions, such as evaluation:

The delivery of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person by a person licensed pursuant to
Section 12071 where the firearm is being loaned by the licensee to a
consultant-evaluator.