PDA

View Full Version : Ak Fh ??

rocknut
06-19-2006, 3:57 PM
When building my AKs I came up with a ??? Does the DOJ consider the slant style brake a flash hider? I never considered it one, but something I read made me doubt myself.

glen avon
06-19-2006, 4:36 PM
no. it is a brake. it doesn't hide anything.

JHC
06-19-2006, 5:10 PM
What kind of kit did you get? Not many AKs around here

rocknut
06-19-2006, 5:35 PM
What kind of kit did you get? Not many AKs around here

I've got several AKM and AKMS kits. The receivers are on their way. This is no different than the off list AR lowers that are coming in. There are just a few less people ordering them.

Every kit but one has the slant style muzzel brake, I just wanted to make sure I was OK leaving them on.

I'm going the detachable magazine/ no evil features route on all but the underfolder models.

JHC
06-19-2006, 6:16 PM
I'm getting ready to do an underfolder myself with fixed mag after I collect a few more parts, be advised that you will need something a little longer than the slant brake if you want to have a legally functioning underfolder because of the minimum required length. Did you spring for the Polish UF kit?

Snuffalofogus
06-19-2006, 8:28 PM
I'm getting ready to do an underfolder myself with fixed mag after I collect a few more parts, be advised that you will need something a little longer than the slant brake if you want to have a legally functioning underfolder because of the minimum required length. Did you spring for the Polish UF kit?

my next ak is going to be a polish underfolder.

JHC
06-19-2006, 8:37 PM
The Polish is very nice and I was going to get one but ended up getting a Romy underfolder and am pretty pleased with it, it came with what I think is Polish wood, is a 1969 model, still has strong rifling, and has an awesome patina. It's so used that it's shiny.

olegk
06-19-2006, 9:19 PM

Check this one:
http://dpharms.com/45-inch-barrel-extension-p-100.html
http://dpharms.com/barrel-extention-p-36.html

rocknut
06-20-2006, 5:37 AM

You bring up a good point. I took a couple measurements and it looks like the barrel would need a 5 inch extension. That would make most of the AMD extensions out there too short. I'll have to think this one over some. I'm thinking of a combination longer flash hider and some sort of an extension off of the rear of the receiver or the back of the stock when its folded.

I did get a polish underfolder kit as well as one of the M92 krink kits. The rest are fixed stock rifles.

I was worried about the slant brake for the fixed stock rifles because I want to go evil-featureless on those with a detachable mag.

What did you have in mind for the muzzel extension?

rocknut
06-20-2006, 5:42 AM
The fixed stock rifles that I have measure just under 25 1/8" from the front of the bare barrel to the rear of the receiver.

The problem that I see with the muzzel extension is that it would have to be pinned on. Easy enough but I hate to cripple a rifle in any way. I'm thinking of maybe a krink style FH like DPH sells. Maybe I'll make my own a little longer.

JHC
06-20-2006, 5:01 PM
The measurements I've taken reveal that I need at least a 5-1/2 in extension of some sort or I'd have to pin the stock (which would defeat the purpose of the folder) and since I cant find a long enough brake out there I'll probably just weld an extension sleeve on. I guess you could tack a '74' style brake on it and mount a really short butt on the rear trunion to satisfy length requirements.

rocknut
06-21-2006, 6:45 PM
I was thinking of a combination of some sort of a loop extension off of the back of the receiver along with a fake supressor or a longer krink style FH on the front. The loop would be a couple inches long and not get in the way when folded. In the rifle I've got, I only need 5 inches total so that would leave me with a three inch flash hider. I can build one out of aluminum that would look like a Krink style FH but about an inch longer.

(crap, I just spent forever drawing what I wanted in paint and I can't get the image small enough to post it.)

On my krink kit, I'm planning on using a milled receiver and building a fake krink style can for it. I'll probably fix the stock on that one. How far does the DOJ make you go to fix the stock? Can I just make a spacer and bolt it together so the button won't push or do they require it to be permanent?

highlandr
06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
A parts kit is on my wish list, perhaps a Polish UF.
Can anyone recommend a reliable/trustworthy source?
I see mention of DPH Arms---how are their kits, and are they good to deal with (appears they only provide email contact, no phone)?
How about AKparts.com?

Any guidance is appreciated. PM me if necessary.
Thanks.

> highlandr /:cool:

JHC
06-23-2006, 3:33 AM
Copes has some Polish under folders, all of the kits sent so far to me and my friends have been in great shape. http://www.copesdist.com/images/polish%20Underfolder.jpg about $245

highlandr
06-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks JHC, I'll check them out.
That price seems to be typical of what I've seen so far.

- highlandr /:cool:

grammaton76
06-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Centerfire has the Yugo UF kits on sale for $110, and NEW, undrilled barrels for $80 ($75 for 5+). I don't think an AK could get any more permanently prevented from having a gas system, than to not have a gas port drilled at all. :)