PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbines "On Sale" @ Big 5

Russ661
11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I saw an add this morning for Original GI M1 Carbines at Big 5 for $899 so I had to go have a look-see. What a disappointment. Cosmoline soaked wood marked with a rebuild stamp, banged up type 3 barrel band, generally crappy condition. The receiver was Quality Hardware 1.9m serial range with a Rock-Ola barrel installed that looked to have plenty of life left in it. Flat bolt that looked OK. Anyway, bottom line is if you wanted a nice M1 carbine you should have bought one when the CPM still had them for $479.

FS00008
11-07-2010, 1:01 PM
Sounds like the crap that Big 5 had when they were selling the M1 Garands a few months back. I hate Big 5.

Robidouxs
11-07-2010, 1:54 PM
I am curious where Big 5 managed to come up with a supply of M1 Carbines, given that the CMP is out of stock...

Milsurp Collector
11-07-2010, 2:05 PM
I am curious where Big 5 managed to come up with a supply of M1 Carbines, given that the CMP is out of stock...

The CMP can only get firearms returned through the US military. Private sellers are able to buy whatever comes on the market from foreign sources.

johnthomas
11-07-2010, 2:08 PM
I went down and looked, next to it was a new production for 759.00.
The C&R had a plastic id tag screwed to the underside of the stock under the barrel with writing in an unknown to me language, Arabic I think. 899.00 is a terrible price. As far as hating big5, not me. Their prices on the Mosin's and other weapons has opened our sport up to people that would not otherwise buy them and become interested in guns and shooting. The only warning I have about big5 is, never pay regular price, wait for the sale or ask if you can have the sale price.

trautert
11-07-2010, 2:09 PM
These were probably Korea returns. Means they are really beat up, lots of parts swapped around on them. Considering the condition they are in, they aren't worth half what Big 5 is asking.

rojocorsa
11-07-2010, 2:20 PM
Sounds like the crap that Big 5 had when they were selling the M1 Garands a few months back. I hate Big 5.

I hate the fact that their ammo is overpriced. Will turn in a job application there, because I need work, however. :o

cannon
11-07-2010, 3:35 PM
I hate the fact that their ammo is overpriced. Will turn in a job application there, because I need work, however. :o

Make the best of your Big 5 employment. Buy a carbine with a Rockola receiver and just keep switching parts as their Carbines come in and one day you'll have a complete Rockola carbine. ;)

Robidouxs
11-07-2010, 3:56 PM
Big 5 gives employees a 15%-20% discount on everything, including firearms!

Sabot
11-07-2010, 4:55 PM
I went down and looked, next to it was a new production for 759.00.
The C&R had a plastic id tag screwed to the underside of the stock under the barrel with writing in an unknown to me language, Arabic I think. 899.00 is a terrible price. As far as hating big5, not me. Their prices on the Mosin's and other weapons has opened our sport up to people that would not otherwise buy them and become interested in guns and shooting. The only warning I have about big5 is, never pay regular price, wait for the sale or ask if you can have the sale price.

Big 5 got me interested in affordable "Mosins", and that got me interested in getting a C&R licence.

I'll give this sporting goods store credit for continuing to sell firearms when other stores would rather cater to "Liberal" Kalifornia.

Suppressive-Fire
11-07-2010, 5:34 PM
The manager in Madera said that Big 5 received 1,850 M1 Carbines from Century Arms. He also said his store in Madera got 4 of the 1,850 and they were Saginaw, Santard Products, Inland, and Winchester. Just thought I would share but $899 on sale is to much. I am glad I got mine from the CMP over the last year for half that price.

Rhythm of Life
11-07-2010, 6:08 PM
Big 5 gives employees a 15%-20% discount on everything, including firearms!

No they don't. Its 20% off regular priced goods and 10% off sale items. Basically the same as customers who find a 10% off coupon, plus no discounts on weights for employees and other items the company randomly deems unworthy of a discount. So customers + coupon = can be better than employee pricing.

A safeway bagger is almost a better job.

Cali-Shooter
11-07-2010, 6:52 PM

Amen to that. I remember they sell PMC .223 for $8.00 a box when the actual value is $4-5 a box. They sell Remington 7.62x39 FMJ for 17.99 when the common online price is 10.00.
The only thing I appreciate about Big 5 is that they even sell guns at all, because CA has gotten so far behind in 2A, that we have to flex what little right-practicing muscle we can (legal gun vendors), otherwise, you lose more rights.

Robidouxs
11-07-2010, 7:39 PM
No they don't. Its 20% off regular priced goods and 10% off sale items. Basically the same as customers who find a 10% off coupon, plus no discounts on weights for employees and other items the company randomly deems unworthy of a discount. So customers + coupon = can be better than employee pricing.

A safeway bagger is almost a better job.

My information on the employee discount was in error.

I remember being told that Big 5 does not handle PPT. Can anyone inform me as to why that it? I was under the impression that FFL's 01 had to provide PPT services as terms of their FFL.

microwaveguy
11-07-2010, 7:45 PM
So where is "Dr. Mauser" now that carbines are around again :party: provided his other half will let him buy one.

johnthomas
11-07-2010, 8:03 PM

I remember being told that Big 5 does not handle PPT. Can anyone inform me as to why that it? I was under the impression that FFL's 01 had to provide PPT services as terms of their FFL.

I asked the manager of my local big5 that question. He said, long guns only. I don't know why that is, but at least they do. Don't go to the shoe guy and ask, go to manager that has the key for the gun locks.

mls343
11-07-2010, 8:10 PM
I checked out my local Big 5 and the one on display, surprisingly, was a Quality Hardware reciever. With that said, it was, well, very well used without much love mix master. Too bad the CMP is out.

I didn't check the bore, but if the outside was any indication, then it would need much love to get it back to service grade quality.

Just my $0.02.

Dr.Mauser
11-07-2010, 8:16 PM
Big 5=poop guns.

only10x
11-07-2010, 8:29 PM
thanks for the chuckle :D

Big 5=poop guns.

Dr.Mauser
11-07-2010, 9:31 PM
its true! last year i went to my local big 5 and looked at one of their garands, i opened up the butt plate compartment and dirt fell out on to the ground...poop guns i say....definition: Poop Guns [poop guhnz]
noun, verb, crap guns, horrible guns.
–noun
a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance bought at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
any portable firearm, as a rifle, shotgun, or revolver bought at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
a long-barreled cannon having a relatively flat trajectory bought at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
any device for shooting something under pressure: a paint gun; a staple gun bought at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
Slang: Poop Gunner Pro- A person whose profession is supposed to be killing but cant be a professional killer because they bought a gun at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
British Poop Gunner- A member of a shooting party who bought a "Poop Gun" at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

mosinnagantm9130
11-07-2010, 9:45 PM
The sad part is, somebody out there has to be buying them, Big 5 wouldn't buy 1,850 of them and not sell them all.

I wonder if Big 5 will do the $599 early black friday sale on them again...

Dr.Mauser
11-07-2010, 10:03 PM
same here, anyone from modesto seen them around at our Big 5s?

cannon
11-08-2010, 7:22 AM
It's true Big 5 milsurps are usually in rough condition and overpriced but those guns in the rack have been the "Gateway drug" to a lot of current collectors.

SanPedroShooter
11-08-2010, 5:04 PM
It's true Big 5 milsurps are usually in rough condition and overpriced but those guns in the rack have been the "Gateway drug" to a lot of current collectors.

Yup, my first privately owned gun was an overpriced M1 carbine from Martin Retting in Culver city. It wasnt 899 but it was about 100 dollars too high, although it does have a matching s'g' barrel and reciever, a clean shiny bore, and sharp rifling. I bought it on impulse and never looked back, of course now i understand gun prices better, it was still worth it...

Suppressive-Fire
11-08-2010, 6:13 PM
I was at Big 5 in Clovis, CA and the manager said that they sold out of their WWII M1 Carbine and most of the other Big 5 store's are sold out in the area....If they sale out before Black Friday...I might sell my rack grade inland for $1200 on craigslist or newspaper and see if anyone bites! LOL!

NaughtyMonkey
11-08-2010, 8:37 PM
I got an M1 Garand from Big 5 before I new about the CMP and it looked ok on the outside but in the inside. Rust covered and pitted like crazy!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=247868

Bizcuits
11-08-2010, 8:43 PM
Unless it's a factory gun like the Mossbergs, Ruger 10/22's etc I stay FAR from Big5.

rimfired
11-08-2010, 9:06 PM
I don't know why you guys are bashing Big 5 when you should be thanking them. As someone mentioned, Big 5 can be a "gateway drug" to the hobby and sport of gun collecting and shooting. In a state where gun laws have been gimped to the level they are, Big 5 has lately been standing tall with the M1s, AKs, etc. They may not sell collector grade used firearms, but at least they're selling them.

As far as NIB rifles, no local gunshops can compete with Big 5. I bought my 15-22 for a little over $500 out the door, MUCH cheaper than anywhere else close to me.

All I'm saying is, give Big 5 a break, they're not the enemy here.

Seesm
11-08-2010, 9:39 PM
I have bought 10/22's from Big 5 and I do appreciate them for getting people into shooting bit they are super high priced on ammo and all guns stuff... So that much sucks...

hkmp5
11-08-2010, 9:43 PM
I asked the manager of my local big5 that question. He said, long guns only. I don't know why that is, but at least they do. Don't go to the shoe guy and ask, go to manager that has the key for the gun locks.

No problems with long gun PPT at Sunnyvale Big 5 earlier this year. Aside from having to work with 3-4 different people over the course of 10-11 days, and nobody really being 100% sure of how the paperwork works. But they were friendly enough.

dangerranger
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I bought two M1 carbines from FW Woolworths in fresno when they were selling out the last of there guns. It was 1980, I got the last two. the Mgr couldnt find the boxes or magasines, so He gave them both to me for $100. they were Korean returns that were well beaten, but shot well. I kept one and sold the other to my brother. he worked at that time for a truck bumper maker and had his chromed out.[ it may have fallen one piece at a time in with the bumpers]. its a little like pearl grips on a pistol, not everyone likes it. I have a hard time beliving what they are going for now! DR

metalliman545
11-09-2010, 7:43 AM
I got an M1 Garand from Big 5 before I new about the CMP and it looked ok on the outside but in the inside. Rust covered and pitted like crazy!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=247868

i dont wanna sound rude and am not trying to a Dbag but nice on the outside? its all messed up! how much did you pay for that?

Rhythm of Life
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM

If they sell both they need to PPT both, Big 5 only sells long guns so thats all they handle.

And FYI you might be surprised how much more shoe guys know, one I know has a C&R collection over 50 guns, several homebuilt ARs and much more. I can't ever remember knowing a manager that owned even a rifle.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I've seen the M1 Carbines and Garands that have been available at Big 5...not in the best shape...perhaps that is an understatement. However, we needn't bash them; I bought my Marlin there, and my SKS, and am happy with both, and content with the prices paid. Frankly, with the (apparently) receding number of proper "gun shops" in Kalifornia, we should be somewhat optimistic of the fact that Big 5--a statewide chain--still sells firearms.

Big 5 got me into C&R, and hell, who in their right mind can denounce a shop that always seems to have $100 Mosins in Urban CA :D

campperrykid
11-09-2010, 4:35 PM
Just run away.
Wait till they drop to $300.00 and then cream the very best for parts & project guns . Check for possible Republic of China/Taiwan markings & parts. What import marks are on these guns & where , how big , deep , etc ?

thomasmorton21
11-09-2010, 5:47 PM
same here, anyone from Modesto seen them around at our Big 5s?

I visited Modesto store on Hatch today. Only one in stock. Saginaw S'G'
1.80 mil. Metal looked nice, barrel lightly stamped maybe Underwood, stock was a pretty beat up S-HB (Louisville Slugger) (Out on the ball field too long)
Manager wouldn't let me field strip it.

Edit: OH yea, stamp on the underside of the barrel I think was Centery Arms Fl.

NaughtyMonkey
11-09-2010, 6:51 PM
i dont wanna sound rude and am not trying to a Dbag but nice on the outside? its all messed up! how much did you pay for that?

No compared to the inside the outside is amazing! lol. Here are some pictures of its insides. http://www.2ndidmanchus.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=520&start=25

It was fun fixing it up. I got it on sale Black Friday for $699 I think. :( But after some work it looks amazing! ha

Also has import marks :( So thats another bad thing about Big 5.

If the Carbines were cheaper I would consider getting an Inland to do reenactments.

Dr.Mauser
11-09-2010, 8:39 PM
I'll say it again...poop guns!

NaughtyMonkey
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM

I know this from experience. If you can stay away from Big 5. Except there mosins are pretty good. :)

campperrykid
11-10-2010, 4:01 AM
This mixed Winchester has the makings of a very fine reenactor rifle :
No compared to the inside the outside is amazing! lol. Here are some pictures of its insides. http://www.2ndidmanchus.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=520&start=25

It was fun fixing it up. I got it on sale Black Friday for $699 I think. :( But after some work it looks amazing! ha

Also has import marks :( So thats another bad thing about Big 5.

If the Carbines were cheaper I would consider getting an Inland to do reenactments.

There were some IHC's in the CAI/SOG Garand release.

1/17 Beefalos

Flyin Brian
11-10-2010, 8:01 AM

Hey Mauser, if you're looking for a carbine you should stop by the gun store in Oakdale. I was in there a few weeks ago and they had 3. I think they wanted like $600 for an Inland.

NaughtyMonkey
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
This mixed Winchester has the makings of a very fine reenactor rifle :

There were some IHC's in the CAI/SOG Garand release.

1/17 Beefalos

Well I plan on buying another Winchester M1 Garand from the CMP and use my Big 5 one for reenactments. Since its already so beat up. But I think I'm going to buy a Reproduction M1 Carbine for reenactments since you have to drill and tab the barrel. I don't want to ruin a piece of history and I don't have a barrel vice to change out barrels.

I'm going to stop by the Big 5 thats here in Bakersfield tomorrow and see what condition there in here. I doubt there in good condition.

glennsche
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Big 5=poop guns.

hey doc, might wanna correct the "your" in your sig. :)

http://blog.ndnguyen.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/grammarnazi.jpg

Ergo the Qualmed
11-10-2010, 1:48 PM
Uh, am I the only one who found the public grammar nazi post directed against Dr. Mauser to be kinda rude/off topic?

As for on topicness:

Where do the Big 5 carbines and whatnot generally come from, to be in such (generally) poor shape?

NaughtyMonkey
11-10-2010, 1:50 PM
I thought it was kinda funny. Gave me a laugh, Maybe thats just me.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-10-2010, 2:04 PM
I thought it was kinda funny. Gave me a laugh, Maybe thats just me.

Oh no, I thought it was funny as well, especially the graphic. But then I was like, "wait, you just 'dissed' a fellow in public view for what seems to be a petty cause?' "

I've had 9 hours of sleep since saturday so I may be mistaken...lol...I mean no disservice to any party involved.

NaughtyMonkey
11-10-2010, 2:05 PM
I think he ment it as a joke, or at least thats how I took it haha. Well go to sleep there buddy! lol.

mauser98k
11-10-2010, 2:07 PM
Where do the Big 5 carbines and whatnot generally come from, to be in such (generally) poor shape?

the god awful conditioned Garands they had last year were in from South America. i assume these are the same

NaughtyMonkey
11-10-2010, 2:15 PM
I wish I would not have bought one, lessons learned. I LOVE THE CMP! haha.

inbox485
11-10-2010, 2:31 PM

I'm sure I'll get some flack, but I thought their prices were spot on. They rose just enough to be to pricey for hoarders, so that if you really needed a box of ammo you could get it. Walmart kept the prices low, but the only way to get anything was to show up every morning at 7 am and see what came off the truck. They could use to lower their prices now, but their current sale prices seem to be in line with WM prices.

campperrykid
11-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Sounds good:
Well I plan on buying another Winchester M1 Garand from the CMP and use my Big 5 one for reenactments. Since its already so beat up. But I think I'm going to buy a Reproduction M1 Carbine for reenactments since you have to drill and tab the barrel. I don't want to ruin a piece of history and I don't have a barrel vice to change out barrels.

I'm going to stop by the Big 5 thats here in Bakersfield tomorrow and see what condition there in here. I doubt there in good condition.

How did they look?
Beat up is a given , but how bad , how salvageble & for what uses are the real questions.

The prices , IMHO , are stupid high -- typical SOG , Century , Big 5 ... Despised Axis of Scalper Evil BS .
That said , there are ( sometimes ) good reasons to buy one .

NaughtyMonkey
11-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I didn't go personally and a couple friends went and he said he picked one up and put it down immadatly he said the whole stock was soaked in cosmoline and his hands were covered. So based on that it doesn't look good.

Captain Cogle
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I guess you guys missed my post about them going for 630$? Not as a suggestion to buy one but thats a big price difference.

NaughtyMonkey
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes the Black Friday deal. I went through that last year for the M1 Garand I regret getting. Just being honest here.

campperrykid
11-16-2010, 3:34 PM
Century might ( maybe ) be cruisin' for a serious bruisin'.

Looks like the UN & George Soros et. al. are on Guatemala like flies on roadkill.
Google :
UN Investigators shake up Guatemala

Maybe that's why the Clintonistas issued M1 Carbine permits to Century and nobody else.
Standard gungrabber ruse.

NaughtyMonkey
11-18-2010, 8:04 PM
So I went to one of the Big 5's here and they only had two, one was an Auto Ordinance (reproduction) and the other was an Underwood, with an Underwood barrel dated 8-43, the metal looked nice, but the stock, omg the stock was soaked in cosmoline, had paint smeared on one side, the other side had numbers painted on numbers and the price tag was $999, I thought they were only like $899???? The auto ordinance one was $899.

Don the savage
11-18-2010, 9:22 PM
I've bought two guns from the big 5 over the years-both mosin nagants, both in excellent condition and great shooters for the grand total of 169 dollars for the pair total. That being said, nagants don't have the cache of a carbine. We haven't had a saving private kolov to pump up the prices for the Russian arms. Nostalgia fuels sale of the WWII us arms bottom line. How many WWII era 1911's were made? People pay thousands for basket cases because of the cache of the arm. You can buy similar era tokarovs and makarovs In better condition for a fraction of the cost. I'm not a big fan of the big 5 but it's not them who are making the prices. The market is. Especially In the peoples republic of kalifornia.