PDA

View Full Version : 1918 BAR - Ohio Ordnance

dfletcher
11-07-2010, 1:35 PM
Went to the Reno gun show and just bought a used Ohio Ordnance 1918 BAR - minus the "A" of course. I know pretty much zip about these. Haven't seen many around but I'm guessing someone here does, would like to know what type of ammo it likes, what sort of maintenence items I should buy.

If anyone has a source for 30.06 ammo (cheap?) that would be nice to know also, I reload for a Rem 40X and an NRA Sporter, I'm guessing this thing is a) no so particular and b) probably going to eat a bit more.

Any other first hand experience info with the gun would be helpful - thanks.

ccandgc
11-07-2010, 1:40 PM
I got mine a few months ago....yes, she likes to eat a lot of .30-06, any kind will work, or at least the mix I have used. Lube well, and mine likes the further targets- 200+ yards.

Orlando
11-07-2010, 2:22 PM
No such thing as cheap 30.06, start reloading

Plywood
11-07-2010, 2:24 PM
Awesome :useless: :D

Kerplow
11-07-2010, 2:33 PM
just curious, are you a NV resident, or how did you go about purchasing a gun in NV as a CA resident?

oh, and also: :useless:

chickenfried
11-07-2010, 2:36 PM
nice purchase! how about the CMP for ammo? http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

Also 10..........9............8........................ ...7......................

bcrich
11-07-2010, 2:40 PM
Good investment, every year the price just keeps climbing! Only time I have fired one was at the lytle creek belt fed shoots and they are AWESOME! Greek suplus shot really good.

dfletcher
11-07-2010, 3:21 PM
just curious, are you a NV resident, or how did you go about purchasing a gun in NV as a CA resident?

oh, and also: :useless:

You mean I can't buy in NV ......? :eek:

Just kidding, San Jose Gun Exchange was at the show and are doing the transfer from the non-FFL NV resident. Sorry on the pictures, I'm only semi computer literate - and for some reason they wouldn't let me drive the thing back to their shop for them. ;)

dfletcher
11-07-2010, 3:25 PM
nice purchase! how about the CMP for ammo? http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

Also 10..........9............8........................ ...7......................

Thanks, that will work. I suppose I'll do some reloading for it, I have about 500 rounds of 168 FMJ I put together for a 1903 I no longer have. Pretty sure it's 44 grains of IMR 4064 - pretty standard '06 stuff.

Unfortunately they couldn't start DROS, I can't get to SJGE until the 13th - so I won't be able to pick it up until 23 Nov. :(

Someguy925
11-08-2010, 9:49 AM
You should PM djandj, he has an Ohio Ordanance BAR.

I swapped some Greek HXP for his Lake City. He said lake city 30-06 didn't have enough powder to cycle the action.

thefifthspeed
11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
You should PM djandj, he has an Ohio Ordanance BAR.

I swapped some Greek HXP for his Lake City. He said lake city 30-06 didn't have enough powder to cycle the action.

Correct, I have a 1918A3 and it likes HXP but not Lake City

dfletcher
11-09-2010, 1:27 PM
^^^

Thanks for the info. Numrich has parts galore for this rifle so I'll buy some odds & ends. I can't bring myself to pay $300.00 for a wood stock so I'll probably scrounge about for one someplace else. About the only "gotta have" I'm trying to find is a flash hider. I know I can't use in CA, but do want to have one for out of state travels - my first time shooting this will be Thanksgiving in OR and the FH is of course no concern there.

thefifthspeed
11-09-2010, 6:13 PM
I found the Flash Hiders somewhere online for 50 a pop. It's been a while so I dont remember but they are out there. I also want to say you need the flash hider to keep the bi-pod on the rifle but I may be wrong.

ir0nclash86
11-09-2010, 7:31 PM
how much do they go for now?

thefifthspeed
11-09-2010, 9:15 PM
3500 give or take depending on condition and much someone wants to pay on top of that to avoid the wait.

metalliman545
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
^^^

Thanks for the info. Numrich has parts galore for this rifle so I'll buy some odds & ends. I can't bring myself to pay $300.00 for a wood stock so I'll probably scrounge about for one someplace else. About the only "gotta have" I'm trying to find is a flash hider. I know I can't use in CA, but do want to have one for out of state travels - my first time shooting this will be Thanksgiving in OR and the FH is of course no concern there.

or try n make one? thats what id do.

dfletcher
11-10-2010, 1:27 PM
I found the Flash Hiders somewhere online for 50 a pop. It's been a while so I dont remember but they are out there. I also want to say you need the flash hider to keep the bi-pod on the rifle but I may be wrong.

I bought the pronged one for $35.00 and the "straight tube" one for $55.00 on GB. The tube one just looks like a longer version of the threaded nut that keeps the bipod on the barrel now, but I guess I'll have to abide by the "it's a FH" when in CA.

CAL.BAR
11-10-2010, 1:51 PM
Welcome to "the BAR". I've had mine for over a year. Let me warn you now - don't use the Lake City CMP stuff. It WILL NOT be powerful enough to work the action on your BAR (no matter what gas setting you use).

After much trial and error, it appears that the Greek HXP will work fine as will any new MFG ammo.

Also - if you haven't figured it out yet, they are a MASSIVE PITA to clean. Generally requires a few screwdrivers and at least 45 min to an hour to properly clean. You will get a ton of baked on residue in the gas action that will take SIGNIFICANT scrubbing to get off. If you don't clean the gas action every time - it will rust!

PM me if you have any specific questions.

dfletcher
11-10-2010, 4:51 PM
^^^
Thanks for the info. This is going to be a fun gun I'm sure.

morrcarr67
11-11-2010, 8:06 AM
Get a C&R and send it to Century. They have surplus 30/06 ammo at a good price.

dfletcher
11-11-2010, 9:12 AM
Get a C&R and send it to Century. They have surplus 30/06 ammo at a good price.

I have the C & R/COE - will they ship to SF? Some do, some don't.

I bought a C & R rifle from them a while back - would be kind of funny, they'll mail a rifle but not ammo ......:cool:

morrcarr67
11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
As far as I know they will ship to SF. The last time I looked they had Tue ammo for about .33 cents a round. And, if spend $500 shipping is free, even on ammo.