PDA

View Full Version : New FFL Questions

redds
11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking of becoming an FFL dealer but have a few questions. I recently moved into California and am wondering how I would be able to sell guns out of state and ship them to other FFL's for transfer to the gun buyer.

Can I even bring off-list handguns into my location to ship to out of state buyers?

For that matter would I be able to sell the same AR and AK variations to out of state buyers and be able to bring them into California to ship for out of state sale. I'm sure, like me, out of state buyers aren't looking for the CA only legal restricted weapons.

It seems California FFLs are at a disadvantage when being able to sell out of state buyers based on what is legal in California unless I am misunderstanding.

Through talking to a local gun shop owner he says he can't even get off list guns or ar's shipped into california, so how would I be able to sell the fun guns to out of state buyers?

Thanks for any help, I just want to make sure I understand before I start my gun business here.

jtmkinsd
11-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Can I even bring off-list handguns into my location to ship to out of state buyers?

Yes you can, you just can't sell them to someone who is non-exempt from the roster. Pistols which are deemed AWs must go through an AW dealer.

For that matter would I be able to sell the same AR and AK variations to out of state buyers and be able to bring them into California to ship for out of state sale. I'm sure, like me, out of state buyers aren't looking for the CA only legal restricted weapons.

No you can't. Only AW dealers may bring AW's (ARs and AKs with no maglock) into CA. For 01 dealers, the firearm must be made CA compliant before coming into the state.

It seems California FFLs are at a disadvantage when being able to sell out of state buyers based on what is legal in California unless I am misunderstanding.

It's all part of living in our wonderful State.

Through talking to a local gun shop owner he says he can't even get off list guns or ar's shipped into california, so how would I be able to sell the fun guns to out of state buyers?

He's a little misinformed on that point...if that were true how would LEOs get all the cool stuff?

kemasa
11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
There are some distributors which have their own rules due to concern of what is legal and what is not legal, rational or not. One place that I deal with refuses to send any high capacity magazines to CA, even though I have the CA DOJ High Capacity Magazine Permit. Another place refuses to ship any SKS to CA, even if it is legal. Yet another place refuses to ship a rim fire rifle because some CA FFLs have told them that it is not legal in CA.

If you want to be come an AW dealer, then you can do that, although I hear it is expensive. In terms of firearms which is not on the list, any FFL can receive them, but as was said can only transfer them to those who are exempt.

One issue that you can run into that some cities won't let you run a business in which people come to your house, yet you could run a business where you only do Internet sales.