View Full Version : Help

11-07-2010, 6:49 AM
I am helping my Aunt sell my Uncle's gun collection, but am just a little unclear on what the sales laws are for his guns. I believe they are all either antique or C&R guns. Do these need to go through a regular FFL transfer or is there something different since they are antique or C&R. The new ones are no problem, its just all the old ones I'm not used to. Thanks for any help.

11-07-2010, 7:03 AM

"Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

So, for long guns which meet the above, those do not need to go through a FFL unless the firearms are shipped (to a FFL or C&R FFL). You do need to make sure that the firearm actually qualifies and in some cases it can be hard to tell.

11-07-2010, 7:15 AM
The long guns fit, but what about handguns? Do they all have to go through the FFL. He has a nice collection of original Single Action Army revolvers that were all made between 1878 and 1901.

11-07-2010, 7:25 AM
Handguns would need to go through a FFL. You can ship them yourself to a FFL, but then you have to use UPS or FedEx, which is expensive. In some cases it is cheaper, depending on fees, to have a FFL ship them for you and the total cost is less than shipping directly.

11-07-2010, 7:29 AM
Non cartridge handguns and handguns made in or prior to 1898 are not considered firearms and do not need to go through a FFL. All other handguns need to go through a FFL though.

11-07-2010, 7:39 AM
Thanks for the help guys.