PDA

View Full Version : FFL Dealer Honest or not? (Transfer Fees)

interlazio1
11-06-2010, 5:50 PM
I've used a certain Glendale, California pawn shop to complete my gun transfers for the past 10 years which changed ownership not too long ago. The pawn shop had a posted fee of $85 dollars for out-of-state transfers and the fee is still the same.

I called the new owner to confirm that he'd be willing to accept a transfer of two 870Ps from Budsgunshop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411542030) and what he would charge. He stated that he is fine with the transfer, his fee is still $85, but because he will be transferring two long guns, he needs to charge me an extra $25 dollars because "The government" will be charging him an extra 25 dollars for the second gun. I explained to him that I want both long guns on the same DROS and that the government should not be charging him an extra 25 dollars.

He continued to argue that "The government" is charging him more and that I don't understand. I then told him that If you want to charge $110 for the transfer of two weapons, that is perfectly fine, but don't tell me it's "The government" charging the extra $25 when it is you. He got very irritated at that point and conversation was over.

Is there any truth to what the FFL dealer was telling me? How would you handle this situation? Should I continue to do business with them?

Al B.
11-06-2010, 5:58 PM
Both long guns can go on the same $25 state DROS. He might charge a few more dollars to transfer the second firearm...but it's not due to government fees. Al B. (SOCAL)

jtmkinsd
11-06-2010, 6:29 PM
I've used a certain Glendale, California pawn shop to complete my gun transfers for the past 10 years which changed ownership not too long ago. The pawn shop had a posted fee of $85 dollars for out-of-state transfers and the fee is still the same.

I called the new owner to confirm that he'd be willing to accept a transfer of two 870Ps from Budsgunshop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411542030) and what he would charge. He stated that he is fine with the transfer, his fee is still $85, but because he will be transferring two long guns, he needs to charge me an extra $25 dollars because "The government" will be charging him an extra 25 dollars for the second gun. I explained to him that I want both long guns on the same DROS and that the government should not be charging him an extra 25 dollars.

He continued to argue that "The government" is charging him more and that I don't understand. I then told him that If you want to charge $110 for the transfer of two weapons, that is perfectly fine, but don't tell me it's "The government" charging the extra $25 when it is you. He got very irritated at that point and conversation was over.

Is there any truth to what the FFL dealer was telling me? How would you handle this situation? Should I continue to do business with them?

After 10 years of doing business with a "knowledgeable" dealer...sounds like you have some educating to do...the government doesn't charge one red cent more than $25 for as many long guns as you want...this is well established...he may have confused long guns with handguns...so you may want to gently explain. :rolleyes:

Librarian
11-06-2010, 7:33 PM
Both long guns can go on the same $25 state DROS. He might charge a few more dollars to transfer the second firearm...but it's not due to government fees. Al B. (SOCAL)

After 10 years of doing business with a "knowledgeable" dealer...sounds like you have some educating to do...the government doesn't charge one red cent more than $25 for as many long guns as you want...this is well established...he may have confused long guns with handguns...so you may want to gently explain. :rolleyes:So, if the fee difference for 2 vs 1 is OK with you (Interlazio), you might start by telling him so, but that blaming the government for the dealer's desire to make a little money isn't really very good practice.

Dealers have bills, too. Being up front about making money should not be embarrassing.

tenpercentfirearms
11-07-2010, 6:26 AM
Maybe he really thinks he has to run it on two DROSes. He might need an education that the long guns can be run on the same DROS which would save him paperwork. I would ask him if he is running it on one or two DROSes. I mean in the end you will know when you sign one or two DROSes. If you only sign one, just let him know you don't mind paying an additional fee for the second gun, but that you don't appreciate being lied to.

If it is that delicate of a situation, I would recommend finding a new dealer. I as a dealer work for my customers. I want them to feel like I appreciate their business and that I need them, not the other way around.

However if a gun shop can make everyone think they owe the gun shop, then hey, why not! It would be cool to have that much power over the consumer.

kemasa
11-07-2010, 6:57 AM
There is no additional fee for long guns as was mentioned, but there is a problem if the FFL claims that there are CA fees when that is not the case.

BTW, you could save some money by driving a bit.