PDA

View Full Version : Proving handgun is C&R

andalusi
11-05-2010, 6:24 PM
I'm going to fill out the paperwork for a P35 Hi-Power tomorrow morning. The seller said it was a 50s police sidearm and that the serial number is in the 40000 range.

Since I have a C&R license and COE, I'd like to take it home with me the same day. But it just occurred to me I don't know what sort of proof the FFL requires. I suspect a printout of a webpage listing Hi-Power serial numbers isn't going to suffice.

Any advice or am I worrying about a nonissue?

v/dBrink
11-05-2010, 8:07 PM
You're pretty much SOL. I have Anthony Vanderlinden's FN Browning book with lots of information but you don't know enough about this pistol to know where to look for the information you need.

What "police"? Danish? Markings to ID it as such? Germany? Austria?

You see? Knowledge is power but you don't have anything to go by. What's the worse thing? Ten day wait?

FYI - the FFL doesn't "require" proof. BATF sets the standard that you, as an 03FFL, are required to maintain. You can't do that when you have no knowledge of the field. The time to learn about this stuff is before you buy something unknown.

FYI pt 2 -- different contracts have different serial number ranges.

Scout2Diesel
11-05-2010, 9:40 PM
Handgun = wait. Unless you're over the border.

MKT
11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Handgun = wait. Unless you're over the border.

Not if the handgun is a C&R and you hold a 03FFL plus a COE, then it is a cash and carry deal.

Now for the OP, I had a similar mess with an old Llama .38 Super I found at my local funstore. I had to go home and do some Llama research and found a list of proof marks and their associated years. I was able to ID the gun as 1943 build and was good to go. Sometimes you have to do a little homework and politely fill in the blanks for your dealer.

andalusi
11-06-2010, 1:40 PM
Now for the OP, I had a similar mess with an old Llama .38 Super I found at my local funstore. I had to go home and do some Llama research and found a list of proof marks and their associated years. I was able to ID the gun as 1943 build and was good to go. Sometimes you have to do a little homework and politely fill in the blanks for your dealer.

Thanks for the advice! As it turns out, my FFL was on the ball and there weren't any issues, so I was able to take home my worn but still beautiful old FN Hi-Power after doing the paperwork this morning.

I'm going to go ahead and thank v/dBrink for his advice, somewhat condescending and missing the call of the question as I may have found it. I do take the point about being better prepared in general. Plus, I wouldn't have known about the Vanderlinden book or Wet Dog Publications otherwise. Now my wife has another birthday present idea for me to hint about.